Spyder’s Vinyl Showcase (With Added Toe)

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Big thanks to @HomerJ for reminding me of this, he mentioned it the other day and made me look through copies of it and saw they'd released this

erm, did I? which post was that, i mean homer likes being thanked and all, just asking

Confused Homer Simpson GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
erm, did I? which post was that, i mean homer likes being thanked and all, just asking

Confused Homer Simpson GIF - Find & Share on GIPHY
No, it doesn't appear it was you, in fact doesn't appear it was this forum, it's fine, I'm just hallucinating again, nothing to see here.

That's so weird, maybe I dreamt it?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
one for @SpyderTracks

This is such good news on so many levels.

Vinyl is more than a fad, there are numerous benefits to it:

1/. Sonics, point of entry where the musical fidelity is greater than streaming is relatively high though, but undoubtedly, once you get over a certain point, vinyl sounds DIFFERENT to digital, it has a warmer more musical tone to it, some prefer this. But also, the level of detail it can retrieve off a good mastering is often better than digital, certainly CD, until you're talking about very high bit rate digital (which carries it's own cost). Most people will be on something like a Spotify free account, and the sound quality of that stream is just pure garbage, most people don't care, but there's so much more to the music than they realise.

2/. SUBSTANTIALLY more proceeds reach the artist. Streaming while convenient is absolutely devastating for artists unless they're getting multiple million hits per year. Streaming is utterly pointless for emerging artists to the point they don't get any returns whatsoever, and it's damaging the industry. More and more emerging artists are expected to elevate their profile with social media like Tik-Tok leading to mass-produced quite narcissistic fanatic appeal over substance and true artistic license. Connected to this, artists are often driven by the label's criteria rather than their own natural vision.

3/. Again, not important for the masses, but for those that have gone from digital back to a physical format, there is just so much more reward in having a physical copy, and certainly from my experience, vinyl beats any other format in just how special each record feels in your hands, from the cover, the little differences from pressing to pressing that make it unique, the way the music is sourced and mastered for that particular copy, hunting down original copies as each copy has a finite amount. The rewards you feel inside, and the value (not monetary but personal) you connect to each record is HUGE and completely transforms the experience from my viewpoint. I get so much joy when I pick out a record, I remember how I found it, when I found it.

4/. Also with the vinyl resurgence, artists have been putting extra effort into making a release that little bit more unique, so often now you get accompanying booklets, or etched records, or accompanying podcasts that you listen to while the record is playing and it talks you through the record. Coloured vinyl for years meant a really poor sounding copy, but technology has moved on and vinyl formulations have come a long way, nowadays there is such a minor decrease in sound quality with a well produced colour record, it was really Vinyl Me Please and to a lesser extent, Mondo records that really nailed this, and (although vinyl enthusiasts will hate me for this) it was down to GZMedia's success as a pressing plant in Czech Republic that prices became affordable and quality improved. There are so many ways they can make them special and especially with smaller artists self releasing records on places like Bandcamp, some of the stuff they include is so unique.

I don't dislike digital, it unquestionably has it's place for convenience and those starting out with smartphones etc, but if you solely use streaming as a way of listening to music and you're not signed up to a premium service like Qobuz or some high resolution model, you have to understand that the artist is just not getting any reward for that.

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
And on the Taylor Swift thing, people get really annoyed when music artists stick their nose in in public life. Leave whatever opinion you have about her music at the door, and look at her as perhaps your next door neighbour, or just another person in life as she is.

Whenever she releases a new record, she will get a limited edition version done that you can only buy at independent record stores which gets the younger generation queueing up at record stores that desperately need continued support and exposes that younger generation to music they may not come across on a streaming platform.

But they are private individuals the same as any of us, if they choose to use their fame and money to promote their interests, why shouldn't they be able to do that so long as it's not harming people (unfortunately there are of course artist who are of that persuasion but we won't discuss them here).

Taylor Swift is the new generations Dolly Parton. She is such a positive influence for so many areas of life, and she's not doing it for positive exposure or in any fake way, she's just a wonderful human being who genuinely cares about the wellfare of every day people. She fight hard for smaller artists within the industry and she does an enormous amount of charitable work outside of music.

Over the pandemic, she regularly paid out pretty big payments to fans who were struggling due to not being able to earn any cash

You could take the opinion that she's worth millions, what's 20k to her, but those are just 2 examples, she does this kind of thing all the time, and it's not her publicists arranging these things, it's not her phoning up and saying "we'll have the camera crew over there at 12 and the magazine will be 5 minutes later for the photo shoot", Taylor never publicises any of this, she's writing hand written letters, and making private phone calls herself.

And it's not just how she redistributes her wealth, she stands up for human rights without concern over the damage it could do to her, I won't post links as it gets a bit political.

But if only more of the higher earners could be like her, the world would be a far far better place.

Dolly Parton is one of the most incredible human beings and we're lucky enough to be alive during her lifetime, again, love or hate her music, she is a shining light of positivity and generosity.

For any artist with her heyday back in the 70's to then come on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury in 2014 where her country music style is quite frankly out of place, and not just be respected for being a classic artist, but to blow them away with what a sensational performance she gave just goes to show how electric she is.

Women keep the world alive.

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
And on the Taylor Swift thing, people get really annoyed when music artists stick their nose in in public life. Leave whatever opinion you have about her music at the door, and look at her as perhaps your next door neighbour, or just another person in life as she is.

Whenever she releases a new record, she will get a limited edition version done that you can only buy at independent record stores which gets the younger generation queueing up at record stores that desperately need continued support and exposes that younger generation to music they may not come across on a streaming platform.

But they are private individuals the same as any of us, if they choose to use their fame and money to promote their interests, why shouldn't they be able to do that so long as it's not harming people (unfortunately there are of course artist who are of that persuasion but we won't discuss them here).

Taylor Swift is the new generations Dolly Parton. She is such a positive influence for so many areas of life, and she's not doing it for positive exposure or in any fake way, she's just a wonderful human being who genuinely cares about the wellfare of every day people. She fight hard for smaller artists within the industry and she does an enormous amount of charitable work outside of music.

Over the pandemic, she regularly paid out pretty big payments to fans who were struggling due to not being able to earn any cash

You could take the opinion that she's worth millions, what's 20k to her, but those are just 2 examples, she does this kind of thing all the time, and it's not her publicists arranging these things, it's not her phoning up and saying "we'll have the camera crew over there at 12 and the magazine will be 5 minutes later for the photo shoot", Taylor never publicises any of this, she's writing hand written letters, and making private phone calls herself.

And it's not just how she redistributes her wealth, she stands up for human rights without concern over the damage it could do to her, I won't post links as it gets a bit political.

But if only more of the higher earners could be like her, the world would be a far far better place.

Dolly Parton is one of the most incredible human beings and we're lucky enough to be alive during her lifetime, again, love or hate her music, she is a shining light of positivity and generosity.

For any artist with her heyday back in the 70's to then come on the pyramid stage at Glastonbury in 2014 where her country music style is quite frankly out of place, and not just be respected for being a classic artist, but to blow them away with what a sensational performance she gave just goes to show how electric she is.

Women keep the world alive.

share a link homer, short response i bet homer,

1083 words later

#JRRtolkientracks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oooooo, one of my favourite artists is doing a pre sale of a limited run of records tonight, the site is only accessible with a password.

This is the kind of stuff I live for!

Typical, they sold out within a minute and immediately posted on eBay for stupid money by people who have no interest in the music whatsoever (this was a £45 record)

fred_again_tiny_desk_for_sale___eBay.jpg

Last edited:

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Oooooo, one of my favourite artists is doing a pre sale of a limited run of records tonight, the site is only accessible with a password.

This is the kind of stuff I live for!

Typical, they sold out within a minute and immediately posted on eBay for stupid money by people who have no interest in the music whatsoever (this was a £45 record)

View attachment 39770

"bonkerbaby89" :LOL:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Really excited about this one.

I knew Dire Straits hits when I was a kid, but never had their albums, and never really got into them.

Since discovering them really only within the last few years, and hearing and watching some of their live performances, my appreciation for Knopflers guitar work is HUGE. The guy has to be one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

I used to judge them for their choice of words on "Money for Nothing", but if you actually listen to the lyrics, they're actually saying that we call these people derogatory names and belittle them, but they're the ones who are really successful and doing happy in life.

The more I've heard of them, the more I've appreciated them.

This is the Mobile Fidelity 45rpm of Dire Straits - Communique

Jesus, the tablecloth needs a clean!

Scan from 2024-01-03 01_04_18 PM.jpg

Last edited:

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Dire Straits (Communique, Love Over Gold, On Every Street, Making Movies, Alchemy, and others) used to be my driving companion on any long driving trips, and before the days of MP3s there would be a dozen CDs on the passenger seat and I'd flick between these Genesis and Bruce Hornsby & The Range.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Really excited about this one.

I knew Dire Straits hits when I was a kid, but never had their albums, and never really got into them.

Since discovering them really only within the last few years, and hearing and watching some of their live performances, my appreciation for Knopflers guitar work is HUGE. The guy has to be one of the greatest guitarists of all time.

I used to judge them for their choice of words on "Money for Nothing", but if you actually listen to the lyrics, they're actually saying that we call these people derogatory names and belittle them, but they're the ones who are really successful and doing happy in life.

The more I've heard of them, the more I've appreciated them.

This is the Mobile Fidelity 45rpm of Dire Straits - Communique

Jesus, the tablecloth needs a clean!

View attachment 39828
Personally, I have to state that Dire Straits do nothing for me. But as a guitarist I will say that you are 100% in surmising Knopfler as a great. He pays tribute to his main inspiration and does all the Hendrix runs and licks but you get the feeling that there’s very little knob twiddling (ooo-er) or too much post production stuff going on. Its a man who knows his guitar, knows his amp and makes them sing.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Personally, I have to state that Dire Straits do nothing for me. But as a guitarist I will say that you are 100% in surmising Knopfler as a great. He pays tribute to his main inspiration and does all the Hendrix runs and licks but you get the feeling that there’s very little knob twiddling (ooo-er) or too much post production stuff going on. Its a man who knows his guitar, knows his amp and makes them sing.
I was very much the same, I loved Money For Nothing, and an ex girlfriend made me a mix tape with Brothers In Arms years ago, and I liked them but they never really burnt in my brain. But listening to them now for whatever reason, it's just made a mark on me and I've got a new appreciation for the sound.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Another Serge, this is the big one, Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg. This is the album with Je T'Aime, Moi Non Plus which I've grown to love more and more the older I've gotten. This is the 2016 remaster which a lot of people say is actually better SQ than the original.

Pointless bit of info, the original 1969 French pressing on Fontana has Je T'Aime, but the second pressing left it out, and it wasn't put back on until 2001, I have no idea what that was about, if there was some bust up with Jane Birkin or if the French just really didn't like it.

Then the infamous Fun Loving Criminals - Come Find Yourself, the 20th Anniversary Remaster. This was such an important album when I was at school, I've been holding off getting this since it was released in late 2021, but it's starting to dry up now. Great album.

Scan from 2024-01-06 06_24_30 PM.jpg

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Another Serge, this is the big one, Jane Birkin et Serge Gainsbourg. This is the album with Je T'Aime, Moi Non Plus which I've grown to love more and more the older I've gotten. This is the 2016 remaster which a lot of people say is actually better SQ than the original.

Pointless bit of info, the original 1969 French pressing on Fontana has Je T'Aime, but the second pressing left it out, and it wasn't put back on until 2001, I have no idea what that was about, if there was some bust up with Jane Birkin or if the French just really didn't like it.

Then the infamous Fun Loving Criminals - Come Find Yourself, the 20th Anniversary Remaster. This was such an important album when I was at school, I've been holding off getting this since it was released in late 2021, but it's starting to dry up now. Great album.

View attachment 39876

i see the new yr hasnt stopped your vinyl buying

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
A lot of these are pre orders that were ordered last summer, but a few aren't. I have a sickness.

silly question but im going to ask it anyway, how many records does vinyl tracks buy a week/month on average, considering this thread has 818 posts im guessing

Our Current Workforce: Do You Dream Of Labour? - Coolbeans4

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
silly question but im going to ask it anyway, how many records does vinyl tracks buy a week/month on average, considering this thread has 818 posts im guessing

Our Current Workforce: Do You Dream Of Labour? - Coolbeans4
Some people go out for dinner, or buy bottles of wine, or spend money on petrol to get to work. I only buy records, that’s pretty much all I buy while I still can.

Once I’ve got my mortgage I want enough of a collection where I’m not always playing through the same records. And then I can concentrate on picking up some original pressings, maybe only a couple a year.