PC in for 1 month for repairs, did they even do anything?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
asus anti surge is terrible. I had that problem for a while, it was either pointing towards a faulty corsair PSU or a faulty motherboard. I disconnected the whole psu and tested each rail. They were all fine, no issues and nothing was faulty. When I reconnected it back up again, it never happened again. So personally, I'd do that instead of turning off the anti surge.

on the other hand, as warranty had ran out with PCS i contacted corsair for advice, who immediately offered to replace the psu. - lol if i sent it to holland.... haha

it must have been a dodgy connection somewhere, or more likely the ASUS software is naf.... which is probably the case.

Asus bloatware seems to be generally pretty problematic... I've got a desktop with an Asus board and was advised to unintstall all the Ai suite software as it just created havoc with boot and shutdowns as well as clocking issues and blue screens.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Asus bloatware seems to be generally pretty problematic... I've got a desktop with an Asus board and was advised to unintstall all the Ai suite software as it just created havoc with boot and shutdowns as well as clocking issues and blue screens.

My USB3 pcie card will not install drivers if I run Ai suite. Took me ages to figure it out. So that makes sense to me.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
So how did it do overnight?

I never got to to run it overnight, as I posted a few posts ago I get my initial problem again, where my monitors got messed up. So the BIOS update didn't fix it. Tried a few other fixes yesterday, reseating GPU, Memtest, tried a different PCIe slot on the motherboard, but all got the problem.

Got a repeatable problem though which may help. I tried running Valley Benchmark as a test, on basic and Extreme it ran fine, however every time I try running it on Extreme HD settings my monitors go blank, and my PC crashes completely. Tried 4 monitors, 3, 2, then just the one, using different connections all getting this problem with the benchmark.

Just got off the phone to PCS. Suggested I tried running PC as I usually do with just 2 monitors, if it happens then, try just the one, and if it happens THEN try a different cable to connect it. Then he said after all of that, and it still happens, try running the PC with a different Keyboard and mouse, but I really cant see that causing my PC to crash, and my monitors to switch colours and going weird, but, I know nothing really about computers so what do I know.

Anyone got any suggestions? Because I really don't want to do a full re-install of windows, only as a last resort.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I never got to to run it overnight, as I posted a few posts ago I get my initial problem again, where my monitors got messed up. So the BIOS update didn't fix it. Tried a few other fixes yesterday, reseating GPU, Memtest, tried a different PCIe slot on the motherboard, but all got the problem.

Got a repeatable problem though which may help. I tried running Valley Benchmark as a test, on basic and Extreme it ran fine, however every time I try running it on Extreme HD settings my monitors go blank, and my PC crashes completely. Tried 4 monitors, 3, 2, then just the one, using different connections all getting this problem with the benchmark.

Just got off the phone to PCS. Suggested I tried running PC as I usually do with just 2 monitors, if it happens then, try just the one, and if it happens THEN try a different cable to connect it. Then he said after all of that, and it still happens, try running the PC with a different Keyboard and mouse, but I really cant see that causing my PC to crash, and my monitors to switch colours and going weird, but, I know nothing really about computers so what do I know.

Anyone got any suggestions? Because I really don't want to do a full re-install of windows, only as a last resort.

Sorry, it's been a busy morning here and I didn't read the whole thread. :(

I would do what PCS suggest, they are trying to eliminate as much stuff that's extrnal to the PC as possibly to prove whether or not it;s the PC or something else. I would also suggest that at some point you do a reinstall of Windows and the original drivers. I know you don't want to do that but the only way to be certain it's not a software issue is to create a stable software environment, to do that you need just Windows and the original drivers installed - nothing else. See whether it behaves itself then. If it does, it was a software issue, if it doesn't and you've done the tests PCS suggest, it's hardware.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Sorry, it's been a busy morning here and I didn't read the whole thread. :(

I would do what PCS suggest, they are trying to eliminate as much stuff that's extrnal to the PC as possibly to prove whether or not it;s the PC or something else. I would also suggest that at some point you do a reinstall of Windows and the original drivers. I know you don't want to do that but the only way to be certain it's not a software issue is to create a stable software environment, to do that you need just Windows and the original drivers installed - nothing else. See whether it behaves itself then. If it does, it was a software issue, if it doesn't and you've done the tests PCS suggest, it's hardware.

No problem ;) Yeah, I'm currently running with two monitors connected, been on for 2 hours now, but still cant say its fixed really, as it can last up to 13 hours without fault. Also, yes I will be doing a Windows re-install, I have the disk and my Windows 7 key ready for it, just trying these things first.

So, just got to wait and see.

Edit: Lasted 4 hours 33 Mins on Two screen, then main screen went gray, second went light blue with 3D lines down it. Now trying on the one screen, then if it does it now I'll try a different cable.

Last edited:

egorgeg

Enthusiast
I've been on for 5 hours so far on one screen. Been playing Euro Truck Simulator 2 for the past 2 hours. Looking good I guess, but it did seem random to me, so we'll see.

Last edited:

egorgeg

Enthusiast
have you got the latest drivers? im not an amd user, but i think these are the latest - http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop?os=Windows+7+-+64

I'm on the Beta Drivers at the moment, 14.3. I've not had the problem yet, I'm starting to think it's my DVI cable I've got plugged in for my second screen, as my PC barely lasted 2 hours before, now 5 plus. If I don't get an issue for the rest of today, I will try my third screen (as a second) and see if I get it then. If not then its the cable, and I will switch it out.

EDIT: Just this instance my PC crashed. Been on for 5 hours 33 mins and I was playing Call of Juarez Gunslinger. However I didn't get any monitor colours or bugs, it was just a straight up instant restart. Just before restart I did notice some weird hardly noticeable flickering lines on my screen, but assumed that was the game. I have checked Event viewer and the only thing that there at the same time of the restart under Application is tonnes of "Information" on NovashieldSDK about logging something, then updating a disk DataBase, then cleaning it. Only other things of note is a Warning for "CoJGunslinger" Event name:RADAR_PRE_LEAK_WOW64. Which is the game.

I also have a tonne of warnings on there about MsiInstaller, Failed to connect to server. Is that Afterburner? I didn't even have it turned on at the time.

Sorry for the long post but another thing that seems to crop up around the time of the monitor bug: Warning for Kernal-PnP. The driver /Driver/ WUDFRd failed to load for the device: WdpBusEnumRoot/UMB/2&37c186b&0&STORAGE#VOLUME#_??_USBSTOR#DISK&VEN_GENERIC_&PROD_COMPACT_FLASH&REV etc and more numbers and random letters.

Also around the same time of the crash I have lots of Kernal-Power Information's and Kernal-Processor-Power Information's as well, and under ACEEventLog there is something about Catalyst Control Center being denied something. Exception <Saving Xml Document > : Access to path 'C:programData/ATI/ACE/Profiles.xml' is denied. Also some errors coming up about GetTargetTempritureInfo and GetMAxFanSpeedInfo being called up by ATI.

And once again sorry for the long post but another thing under Security is a Warning coming up saying: An Attempt was made to register a security even source. Process name of C:Windows/System32/VSSVC.exe source is VSSAudit.

(Sorry for typing all of this out, not sure if its useful or nonsense, and I want to make sure I get anything helpful as I'm sick of getting problem with my computer)

Any of this mean anything? And if you need any more information on anything just ask.

Last edited:

tom_gr7

Life Serving
I'm on the Beta Drivers at the moment, 14.3. I've not had the problem yet, I'm starting to think it's my DVI cable I've got plugged in for my second screen, as my PC barely lasted 2 hours before, now 5 plus. If I don't get an issue for the rest of today, I will try my third screen (as a second) and see if I get it then. If not then its the cable, and I will switch it out.

lol, buy a whole new set of DVI cables to be sure!

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Ive got plent of cables spare to use. Just need to see what caused that crash. (You posted as soon as I edited my post lol)

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Well, was on for no longer than 20 mins this morning, and even on the one monitor it did it. Screen went grey with light grey lines down it. So it wasn't the cable. Only thing left to do is try a different keyboard and mouse, then it's to a full windows re-install. I don't have access to another keyboard and mouse ATM so trying to get a hold of some today.

If this windows re-install doesn't work then what am I to do? I'm not sending it in again as it was there for a month and the issue was not fixed, so I have no faith in them to do it this time.

Anyone got any info/suggestions about those event logs a few posts back?

EDIT: Saw a post somewhere with the same problem I'm having. they fixed it by disabling adobe flash's hardware acceleration. I don't know what this is, and how to disable, but do you think it could be this?

EDIT 2: I will be running a Memtest today, last time I did one was ages ago, so I cant rule out my RAM going faulty after that. Will try a different mouse/keyboard if it passes the memtest, if not then it probably is my RAM. Only problem with that is I'm not sure how to get a replacement for it. When upgrading it I got no options for the RAM I wanted from PCS, and I ordered it from Kingston. I have no order numbers or receipts so that may be a problem.

EDIT 3: I was downstairs while Memtest was running, and after about 30 mins came up to go on my PS4 while it was doing its thing, but I came up to my computer switched off completely nothing running. Tried Turing it back on and I got nothing. So I switch the PSU at the back off then on and got it to boot to star another Memtest. I'm going on my PS4 now so I will be able to see what happened when it crashed if It does it again. Any idea what this means? Faulty RAM comirmed?

Last edited:

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Might be worth (if it does it again) attempting to boot it with the side panel off. See if any of the LEDs flash on the motherboard. if the RAM is causing it to not boot then a LED should flash.

If your unable to get to the bottom of the problem yourself I suggest you do send it back in, its useless to you in this state. If they cant identify a specific problem then I would ask for a rebuild. The most common problems for this type of fault appear to be ruled out, so things get a little trickier from here. It could be almost anything from the motherboard to the PSU, very difficult to pin down without replacement parts to replace the individual components with.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
A lot depends on what you tell PCS when you send it back. If it still does it after a replacement keyboard and mouse and after reinstalling Windows. You need to document clearly what happens, when it happens, how it happens, what applications you were running, what you did etc. etc. The more info you can give PCS the more likely it is that they can reproduce your problem. To be fair to PCS, if they can't reproduce the problem on the bench there's not much they can do.

When you do the reinstall be sure to test thoroughly after installing Windows and drivers but before making any other changes. That really is important and yet the temptaton to reinstall everything you want straight away will be huge.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
@mantadog, if it does it again I will take a look. Do they do rebuilds? Didn't know that.

@ubuysa, if I can get the RAM to pass I will try different keyboard and mouse, then a full reinstall of windows. I will write down at what times it does it it, and what was running on the computer at the time.

Anything about those event logs on the last page? I see them a lot, and some were just before a random restart that happened yesterday.

EDIT: One pass, running second test. If I knew how long it took to crash last time it would help, but I will keep an eye on it.

Last edited:

moosEh

Administrator
Staff member
Hello there egorgeg,

Just a quick shout as i wanted to register my apologies for this issue and obviously you shouldnt have it after two RMAs and different components. Ill just check through the 4 pages of content and see if I can suggest anything.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Hello there egorgeg,

Just a quick shout as i wanted to register my apologies for this issue and obviously you shouldnt have it after two RMAs and different components. Ill just check through the 4 pages of content and see if I can suggest anything.

Thank you very much. A quick note, I restarted the memtest and it proceeded to pass 3 times in a row, so not sure what happened.

EDIT: I have another keyboard and mouse I can use, so I will be trying them at the moment.

EDIT 2: PC has been on for 5 hours now with a different Keyboard and mouse. Though that is idle sitting at desktop as I have no access to it atm. If it's on by the time I get in I will play a game or something on it.

EDIT 3: Just got on the computer but have no time to play any games as I have to work tonight, but the uptimer said it was on for 6 hours 20 mins, with no issue with the new keyboard and mouse. That doesn't say anything however as it's lasted longer than that anyway. So tomorrow after working I will get on it properly and play some games and say if I get it again.

Last edited:

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Today I can get access to my computer, so with this other keyboard and mouse I ca use it for most of the day and see what happens. I don't really know about computers that much obviously, but I didn't really think a keyboard or mouse would cause such an issue. Will edit this post/reply with updates, and if I get the monitor problem, then a crash, I will do a full windows re-install.

egorgeg

Enthusiast
Computer has been on for 5 hours 39 today. Played Company of heroes 2 and Euro Truck Simulator 2 for a few hours as well, nothing seems to be going wrong. But, the keyboard and mouse I'm using is my brothers, and we have no spare so I need to switch back to mine again. I may have to wait another day for the computer to be on longer.