New PC issues

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I really don't like the fact that you've got it on extreme and the CPU is still cranking past 100C on Firestrike. Firestrike is actually not that heavy on the CPU, it wouldn't be a torture test or anything.

I don't think it's related to your issues but I would definitely want to try and get the temps better.

Armoury crate is a nightmare. I absolutely hate it. You can't even just uninstall it, you need to download a specific uninstaller to get rid. It might be worthwhile dropping armoury crate altogether for now.

Has it crashed at all since?

Robin R

Yeah, you're right, it's bad. I'll definitely try do that. I actually re-ran firestrike capped at 60 fps and the CPU maxed at 85C, it's probably a temporary solution until I get the issue fixed, but it seems to help. I've decided that I'll try to get someone to come over and help me check on things at the hardware side as well.

No crashes. I hope I haven't given the wrong impression since I probably worry too much. The computer actually runs completely fine without issues 99% of the time. It haven't crashed while playing games yet. It's been able to withstand Cities Skylines 2 so far (70 hours in).

Yes, Armoury Crate, hate it. will uninstall.

Thanks again for the help though, I appreciate it.

Attachments

• Screenshot (20).png
    Screenshot (20).png
    251.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You seem to be pretty sorted TBH, but if you're still concerned then export and upload your logs and any live kernel dumps (you speak of crashes and these often write live kernel dumps). We'll gladly take a look and let you know whether there is anything there to be concerned about. Here's how to export and upload the logs...
  1. Enter the command eventvwr into the Run command box. The Event Viewer will open.
  2. Locate the Windows Logs folder in the left hand pane and expand it by clicking on the arrow (>) to the left of it.
  3. Right-click on the Application entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'Application' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).
  4. Right-click on the System entry and select 'Save all events as...'. Choose a folder anywhere that suits you and a filename of 'System' (an .evtx suffix will be added automatically).
  5. Zip the Application.evtx and System.evtx files together and upload the zip file to a cloud service with a link to it here.
To upload any live kernel report dumps do the following...
  1. Navigate to the folder C:\Windows\LiveKernelReports. You will probably see a number of sub-folders under here
  2. Look in every sub-folder, and in LiveKernelReports, for any dump files (.dmp)
  3. Upload any dump files you find to a cloud service with a link to them here.
TBH looking through the logs is a bit like Googling your symptoms when you feel a bit off - you can scare yourself terribly if you don't really know what you're looking at ...!

Robin R

Yes, thank you. Why not. I'm embarrassingly not used to share files over cloud services. I put a link to a google drive one, just tell me if you want another method instead.

Yeah I'm very glad for people have been reassuring me here, I'm much more chill about that now. You're all too nice.

I have checked the folder "LiveKernelReports" but it's empty

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
You're getting a whole lot of these WHEA corrected error messages in your System log...
Code:
Log Name:      System
Source:        Microsoft-Windows-WHEA-Logger
Date:          17/02/2024 15:00:54
Event ID:      17
Task Category: None
Level:         Warning
Keywords:   
User:          LOCAL SERVICE
Computer:      RobinPC
Description:
A corrected hardware error has occurred.

Component: PCI Express Root Port
Error Source: Advanced Error Reporting (PCI Express)

Primary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x1D:0x4
Secondary Bus:Device:Function: 0x0:0x0:0x0
Primary Device Name:PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_7A34&SUBSYS_88821043&REV_11
Secondary Device Name:
A corrected error is one that WIndows caught and was able to recover from - though this may cause a crash-to-desktop for the propcess that was running at the time. As the error text suggests, that error is for your Intel PCIe Root Port, so this could be the graphics card or any of the NVMe drives (I think the graphics card is more likely - though I'd expect live kernel dumps in that case). This could be a hardware problem as suggested, but it could just as easily be a bad or missing chipset driver. This of course would gell with what you said here...
I've solved some issues that crashed my computer by going into the BIOS and disabling PCIe Power State Management and ASPM (The event viewer constantly spammed warnings and errors before I did this).
Open up Device Manager and ensure that no devices have a yellow triangle containing a black exclamation mark next to them.

You might also download the latest chipset driver for your board from the Asus website and install that, see whether that eliminates these WHEA errors.

If none of the above helps then contact PCS and give them a copy of your System log. It may well be bad hardware.

From your Application log you also seem to be having issues with the Asus Ambient Lighting tool...
Code:
Log Name:      Application
Source:        Application Error
Date:          17/02/2024 14:51:56
Event ID:      1000
Task Category: Application Crashing Events
Level:         Error
Keywords:   
User:          S-1-5-21-3331116534-3664760564-1662834322-1001
Description:
Faulting application name: AacAmbientLighting.exe, version: 1.2.0.0, time stamp: 0x64b073ea
Faulting module name: KERNELBASE.dll, version: 10.0.22621.3155, time stamp: 0x8c2ee5db
Exception code: 0xe0434352
Fault offset: 0x0000000000065b0c
Faulting process ID: 0x0x603C
Faulting application start time: 0x0x1DA61A0168CCC25
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\ASUS\AacAmbientHal\AacAmbientLighting.exe
Faulting module path: C:\windows\System32\KERNELBASE.dll
Report ID: fbd437fc-0359-466c-bd26-7f316be005e5
Faulting package full name: ASUSAmbientHAL64_1.0.0.2_neutral__gsg7p0crx7n6a
Faulting package-relative application ID: ASUSAmbientHAL64

Log Name:      Application
Source:        .NET Runtime
Date:          17/02/2024 14:51:56
Event ID:      1026
Task Category: None
Level:         Error
Keywords:      Classic
User:          N/A
Description:
The description for Event ID 1026 from source .NET Runtime cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

Application: AacAmbientLighting.exe
CoreCLR Version: 6.0.1623.17311
.NET Version: 6.0.16
Description: The process was terminated due to an unhandled exception.
Exception Info: System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (10048): Only one usage of each socket address (protocol/network address/port) is normally permitted.
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.UpdateStatusAfterSocketErrorAndThrowException(SocketError error, String callerName)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.DoBind(EndPoint endPointSnapshot, SocketAddress socketAddress)
   at System.Net.Sockets.Socket.Bind(EndPoint localEP)
   at AacAmbientLighting.Program.Main()
The .Net error is because the AacAmbientLighting.exe uses .Net functions. It would seem that the ambient lighting process is trying to use the same network socket (a unique network endpoint) for two separate functions, that sounds like an application error I think (ie. it's AacAmbientLighting.exe that's fouling up). This may not have been causing the crashes you reported but this isn't a happy application...

Robin R

I checked through all the devices on Device Manager, no warning triangles there. I downloaded the chipset driver, but immediately got a WHEA corrected error right after. So I'll contact PCS and do as you wrote.

Thank you so much for the help.