Microstutters to bigger stutters on Ryzen 7 5800X and 6800 system

Reshi

It appears that is impossible, I'm going to have to redownload Doom Eternal. I wouldn't mind as I have good internet speed, but I have a monthly 1TB cap and apparently a soft 50 GB daily cap.

Ah well.

Things seem okay so far, I haven't noticed the same issues. I think thehre has been some FPS boost as well. But I need to do more tests. In particulalr, I have Image Sharpening off right now. But I really doubt that'd be the secret issue causer?

The main apps I do not have installed right now are EverNote and some IntelliJ apps, but I also doubt they could be the cause of the issue.

Honestly, if this does solve this and I never manage to trigger it again, I think that's going to be worse to me than causing it again lol. I really want to know what caused that.

One final thing. Apex was acting strange initially (not refreshing to 144 Hz), until I think after installing my chipset drivers. But I'm not sure that's what fixed it.

Thanks so far though. It'll be a little bit tough to reinstall everything. But if it's all fixed, it'll have been worth it.

Reshi

Tested more, especially with Doom Eternal, and I can say with a certain amount of confidence that the stutters and issues are gone.

Apex Legends ran very well and any issues I encountered were not in any of the AMD GPU metrics I was looking at, and appeared to be caused by server instability.

Three Kingdoms didn't have any audio issues or stutters. AI turns did have some issues with pausing but I'm nearly 200 turns in and that's to be expected.

Doom Eternal didn't have stutters except when I had a YouTube stream on (though Twitch streams didn't seem to cause an issue), and cases where I had Image Sharpening on and a stream on. I am suspecting Image Shawrpening may have contributed, but I'm not sure - this was the first game I tried that was on a HDD and not my SSD, so I'm not sure if there could have been any issues with that.

This will hopefully be my final update. I haven't reinstalled everything I need (and I plan to overclock my system, particularly RAM, a little bit more), but I think everything is okay now. I just wish I had an idea of the source issue.

The main programs I don't have installed anymore are Evernote, HWMonitor, CPU-Z, Cinebench, IntelliJ products like IDEA, etc. I don't see how those could have contributed at all.

Thanks everyone for the help.

Tested more, especially with Doom Eternal, and I can say with a certain amount of confidence that the stutters and issues are gone.

Apex Legends ran very well and any issues I encountered were not in any of the AMD GPU metrics I was looking at, and appeared to be caused by server instability.

Three Kingdoms didn't have any audio issues or stutters. AI turns did have some issues with pausing but I'm nearly 200 turns in and that's to be expected.

Doom Eternal didn't have stutters except when I had a YouTube stream on (though Twitch streams didn't seem to cause an issue), and cases where I had Image Sharpening on and a stream on. I am suspecting Image Shawrpening may have contributed, but I'm not sure - this was the first game I tried that was on a HDD and not my SSD, so I'm not sure if there could have been any issues with that.

This will hopefully be my final update. I haven't reinstalled everything I need (and I plan to overclock my system, particularly RAM, a little bit more), but I think everything is okay now. I just wish I had an idea of the source issue.

The main programs I don't have installed anymore are Evernote, HWMonitor, CPU-Z, Cinebench, IntelliJ products like IDEA, etc. I don't see how those could have contributed at all.

Thanks everyone for the help.
Well done your persistence paid off !

Reshi

Well.

The main issue is sorted.

But now I am facing some minor stutters in Xbox pass games, but nowhere else. That's fine, I think. I suspect that Jedi: Fallen Order can be kinda like that with what it has to load.

What is not fine is that when alt-tabbing Halo MCC, possibly with or without a Twitch stream, sometimes that causes a complete system crash.

<.>

I admit I turned back on my RAM overclock (specifically to 3000 MHz with 1500 set manually on the MCLOK as part of hte AI Tweaker), with DOPP enabled, but this happened without any of those overclocks enabled.

What's worse about this one is that I don't even know how reproducable it is. Seems to happen very inconsitently.

Only overclock I've kept constantly on is my CPU overclock, at 4.5 GHz, as I mentioned previously.

Any suggestions for what to try now? Should I start a new thread?

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well.

The main issue is sorted.

But now I am facing some minor stutters in Xbox pass games, but nowhere else. That's fine, I think. I suspect that Jedi: Fallen Order can be kinda like that with what it has to load.

What is not fine is that when alt-tabbing Halo MCC, possibly with or without a Twitch stream, sometimes that causes a complete system crash.

<.>

I admit I turned back on my RAM overclock (specifically to 3000 MHz with 1500 set manually on the MCLOK as part of hte AI Tweaker), with DOPP enabled, but this happened without any of those overclocks enabled.

What's worse about this one is that I don't even know how reproducable it is. Seems to happen very inconsitently.

Only overclock I've kept constantly on is my CPU overclock, at 4.5 GHz, as I mentioned previously.

Any suggestions for what to try now? Should I start a new thread?
TBH with curious problems like this rule number one is to remove all overclocks and see whether the issue remains.

Reshi

As said before as well, overclocking will reduce performance for your uses, not improve them.
I will disable all and try everything, see if things are more stable. I'm not sure I played mCC and alt-tabbed enough today to potentially trigger the issue.

Why does overclocking cause issues with Ryzen and this system? I would have thought at-least overclocking my RAM (since I did get a mid-range speed) would help performance a little.

Just been a little reluctant to drop all overclocks because I do love getting absolutely everything I can from my system.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Why does overclocking cause issues with Ryzen and this system?
Overclocking the cpu only overclocks to the max of the weakest core, so your single core speeds will reduce enormously by around 600mhz which is massive. Gaming predominantly uses single core boosts.

You can apply a DOCP to RAM of course.