Microstutters to bigger stutters on Ryzen 7 5800X and 6800 system

Reshi

Though some of these stutters seem to be caused by alt tabbing.

Ran a memory diagnostic test and it turned up no errors either.

Last edited:

Reshi

I decided to experiment today with not overclocking my PC but instead ensuring that the minimum clock did not fall below a certain value, close to the standard clock.

This eliminated most, but not all, stutters from Doom Eternal, which I found to be stuttering a lot.

It really seems there is some issue with the GPU deciding to drop clock very drastically, despite the max temperature it reaching being about 78*C, which as far as I can tell is completely fine, and if it was throttling at that point I would expect a gradual clock reduction, not a sudden drop to zero and then a spike back right up.

I've also found the metrics gathering from the Radeon Software can be a little bit glitch but it did help me with this problem.

I'm not sure if this is a driver level issue or such. Should I report this to AMD?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I decided to experiment today with not overclocking my PC but instead ensuring that the minimum clock did not fall below a certain value, close to the standard clock.

This eliminated most, but not all, stutters from Doom Eternal, which I found to be stuttering a lot.

It really seems there is some issue with the GPU deciding to drop clock very drastically, despite the max temperature it reaching being about 78*C, which as far as I can tell is completely fine, and if it was throttling at that point I would expect a gradual clock reduction, not a sudden drop to zero and then a spike back right up.

I've also found the metrics gathering from the Radeon Software can be a little bit glitch but it did help me with this problem.

I'm not sure if this is a driver level issue or such. Should I report this to AMD?
It's not normal operation, the first thing to try is remove any kind of BIOS alterations whatsoever, everything needs to be defaults, then do a clean install.

AMD won't be able to do anything, if it's a hardware issue, you'd need to go through PCS for an RMA.

Reshi

By clean install, do you mean a clean install of AMD GPU drivers, by removing past drivers and then installing?

Is this definitely a hardware issue? I did not notice this until recently, until after software changes. Is this the type of issue that could merge later after less than four months of use?

What are the likely consequences of waiting for driver updates while keeping the min frequency equal to my max frequency?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
By clean install, do you mean a clean install of AMD GPU drivers, by removing past drivers and then installing?
No, clean installation of windows and driver to rule out a software issue

Is this definitely a hardware issue? I did not notice this until recently, until after software changes. Is this the type of issue that could merge later after less than four months of use?
We’ve no idea until we’ve done some troubleshooting

What are the likely consequences of waiting for driver updates while keeping the min frequency equal to my max frequency?
Even if it is a driver issue, you just roll back to the past stable one, it’s certainly not an issue that’s widely reported and these drivers are public release.

Reshi

Alright, I thought I was a bit of a power user (just a very little) but I admit this is an area where I'm lost, being I've never had to reinstall Windows at all.

Do I do a full clean install, by moving all the apps I want to keep to my HDD temporarily, or do I do 'Reset this PC', which will allow me to keep my personal files? I'd prefer the latter but it sounds like I need to do the former.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Alright, I thought I was a bit of a power user (just a very little) but I admit this is an area where I'm lost, being I've never had to reinstall Windows at all.

Do I do a full clean install, by moving all the apps I want to keep to my HDD temporarily, or do I do 'Reset this PC', which will allow me to keep my personal files? I'd prefer the latter but it sounds like I need to do the former.
Neither, a clean install can’t be done from within windows.

Follow option one from here but it misses out that the very first part of windows installation is to delete all existing partitions on the c drive and install to the blank space

Use the latest windows image from here using the windows media creation tool:

Last edited:

Reshi

Sounds silly but what cable are you using to connect your monitor to your pc ( covering all options :) )
HDMI for my main monitor, DVI for my second, since the 6800 has one HDMI cable.

While I am here:

Follow option one from here but it misses out that the very first part of windows installation is to delete all existing

Sorry, hope I am not being annoying (the information both of you have given means a lot), but was your sentance cut off here?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine

While I am here:

Sorry, hope I am not being annoying (the information both of you have given means a lot), but was your sentance cut off here?
Yep, no idea how that got cut out, have re edited now

While I am here:

Do you have a display port cable on hand to try on just one monitor ? Tho the fresh install of windows is a great shout eliminates alot of potential issues

Reshi

Do you have a display port cable on hand to try on just one monitor ? Tho the fresh install of windows is a great shout eliminates alot of potential issues
I do (that 'DVI' cable was the DP cable... easy to get mixed up, I also ordered a VGA to DVI (or DP?) cable so I could support my 2013 old Dell monitor). I will try that, without the minimum clock I set.

Displayport-Sin-122818.jpg

Just to confirm thats a display port cable :)

Reshi

It was, but it made no difference sadly.

I will try to do a clean install soon, probably tomorrow after my work (I should be fine with my workaround until then, I assume). Am I fine to transfer everything (like games etc.) to my HDD, delete the SSD partition and then start the clean install? Glad I did get that 2TB in the end...

Example of mouse micro stutter lag from polling rate is this issue similar to your experience dead give away is turning in game especially after a alt tab

Last edited:

Reshi

I have a SteelSeries Rival 600. I did discover that could happen and set my polling rate down very low, but this made no difference. The issue I'm facing does not occur typically when moving the mouse around, and certainly not that consistency or often. They tend to be random, along with sound delay and other issues along those lines.

Reshi

Before I do the reinstallation, I want clarification on how to do this:

`Follow option one from here but it misses out that the very first part of windows installation is to delete all existing partitions on the c drive and install to the blank space`

I've been trying to do Disk Management to delete the partitions on my C drive, but I cannot delete any.

The current partitions I have are:

1622825542728.png

Is it fine to go with the reinstallation here?

Also: will I need my Windows key for this?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
if you follow option 1 it will show what partitions there are select them in the tool and it will delete them and install the os

Reshi

I have reinstalled. I have not tested yet. I was trying to get Doom Eternal from Game Pass, which I transferred to my D: drive before doing the clean install, up and running again, but Windows seems to believe it's from another drive.

Am I snookered on testing that one or is there a way to get it to detect that I actually, you know, have it installed? :V