COOLIT ECO A.L.C has leaked

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Hi all,

I am back after a long time away. I see some of the familiar names are still here.

The one thing I was dreading about my PC has happened. After 18 months of use the liquid has leaked. My GPU - 560ti (which I bought elsewhere) is soaked. What are the chances that this is now damaged?

Luckily I extended my warranty for a further year, hopefully this is honoured by PCS. If I wanted to change the cooler to a non-water cooling option would I be able to do this?

Back to using my ever reliable Q6600 PC. Where would I be without it, probably outside playing tennis......

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Sorry to hear that, is this the older coolit version not the II? Best thing is to give PCS a call tomorrow morning and you could find out what options you have, if you are under warranty you should be fine.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Unfortunately It is the old version. The smell is terrible, luckily my wife noticed the water on my desk before I had a chance to turn it on. She thought a cat must have got in our house and peed on the table, that is exactly what it smells like in my room. I have already e-mailed PCS.

Corfate

Author Level
Unfortunately It is the old version. The smell is terrible, luckily my wife noticed the water on my desk before I had a chance to turn it on. She thought a cat must have got in our house and peed on the table, that is exactly what it smells like in my room. I have already e-mailed PCS.

Can we get any pictures?

keynes

Multiverse Poster

If you can try to give them a call tomorrow morning to get your request for RMA sorted. It may take longer for them to get back to you by email.

tom_gr7

Life Serving
gutted mate,

remove the power cable from the power supply if you have not already done so.

and call pcs first thing tomoz, if pcs dont cover your 560 ti, it would be worth popping an email to coolit themselves, its worth an ask.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Called PCS yesterday and arranged an RMA, PC will be picked up today by DPD. Also sent an e-mail to PCS last night asking if I could take the opportunity to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge/ Ivy Bridge motherboard and CPU. I have sent an NH-D14 to replace the ECO ALC, back to the trusted air cooling.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Called PCS yesterday and arranged an RMA, PC will be picked up today by DPD. Also sent an e-mail to PCS last night asking if I could take the opportunity to upgrade to a Sandy Bridge/ Ivy Bridge motherboard and CPU. I have sent an NH-D14 to replace the ECO ALC, back to the trusted air cooling.

I got the new fat boy coolit and has not experienced any issues so far but it has being only 3 months. I am always pleased with the speedy collection of units for RMA, when I experienced an issue the collection was arranged for the following day and technical support was always helpful and kept me informed of the situation. Hope you get the PC back soon and let us know how it goes, the upgrade seems a reasonable request if the cooler damaged the existing motherboard.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
the upgrade seems a reasonable request if the cooler damaged the existing motherboard.

Not sure if it has damaged the motherboard or not. But there is always that lingering doubt that it may cause a problem in the future and I will be out of warranty. PCS has always been great with these kind of things, best after sale support.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Nice choice of the D14!

I tried to get this cooler when I first ordered but it was a bit pricey. At £56 now it is great value for money. No more worrying about leaking liquid.

PCS have said they are willing to discuss upgrade options as well. I was thinking (if the price is right and PCS let me) of going with an i7 2700K oc with P8Z77-V pro.

keynes

Multiverse Poster
I tried to get this cooler when I first ordered but it was a bit pricey. At £56 now it is great value for money. No more worrying about leaking liquid.

PCS have said they are willing to discuss upgrade options as well. I was thinking (if the price is right and PCS let me) of going with an i7 2700K oc with P8Z77-V pro.
The D14 (from what I can gather from Tom) is a very nice cooler and quieter than other cpu coolers.
Would you consider an ivy-bridge instead? I've got the i7-2700k and I managed to overclock it to an stable 4.8 (can't get higher). I know ivy CPUs should be a bit hotter than sandy bridge but ivy provides support for PCI-Express 3.0.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
The D14 (from what I can gather from Tom) is a very nice cooler and quieter than other cpu coolers.
Would you consider an ivy-bridge instead? I've got the i7-2700k and I managed to overclock it to an stable 4.8 (can't get higher). I know ivy CPUs should be a bit hotter than sandy bridge but ivy provides support for PCI-Express 3.0.

Nothing is out or in, I will have to see what PCS say. If they let me then definitely will consider it. Thanks

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Any ideas how much hotter the Ivy Bridge are compared to Sandy Bridge. Looked at a few youtube reviews, they were mostly saying that when it reaches it thermal threshold the temps just hit the roof. Within this threshold the 3770k should run the same or cooler than 2700k. To be honest I have not researched CPU/Motherbords for over a year.

Do you have to get a specific motherboard for the Ivy Bridge to support PCI-E 3.0?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
Any ideas how much hotter the Ivy Bridge are compared to Sandy Bridge. Looked at a few youtube reviews, they were mostly saying that when it reaches it thermal threshold the temps just hit the roof. Within this threshold the 3770k should run the same or cooler than 2700k.

Do you have to get a specific motherboard for the Ivy Bridge to support PCI-E 3.0?

Most of the ASUS motherboard are "PCI-Express 3.0" ready, Corfate has an ivy bridge i5-3570k overclocked at 4.5 Ghz and the maximum temperatures he gets on prime95 is around 65 degrees, there are other forum users that seem to experience higher temperatures. I'd assume it depends on choice of cpu cooler and how well ventilated your case is.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Most of the ASUS motherboard are "PCI-Express 3.0" ready, Corfate has an ivy bridge i5-3570k overclocked at 4.5 Ghz and the maximum temperatures he gets on prime95 is around 65 degrees, there are other forum users that seem to experience higher temperatures. I'd assume it depends on choice of cpu cooler and how well ventilated your case is.

My HAF-X is great for ventilation. Reviews show that a 4.7 GHz OC on 3770k gets temperatures to over 80c and upto 90c (around 10-15c higher than 2700k). Cost wise they are both identical as well (checking Amazon). The first edition of the Ivy seems a bit of a let down but it is new architecture.

Is your 2700k overclocked? What temps do you get?

keynes

Multiverse Poster
My HAF-X is great for ventilation. Reviews show that a 4.7 GHz OC on 3770k gets temperatures to over 80c and upto 90c (around 10-15c higher than 2700k). Cost wise they are both identical as well (checking Amazon). The first edition of the Ivy seems a bit of a let down but it is new architecture.

Is your 2700k overclocked? What temps do you get?

At 4.8 iddle 39-41, prime95 around 70'C
I'd probably get an overclock of 4.4 to keep the temperatures below 80'C but it is unlikely you hit the 90'C barrier unless you are using prime95.