Yellow Lines... Computer Not Working

brzam

Hello,
I got my new computer and was quite happy, but then when i started it up it had two thick yellow lines running down the screen :( I thought it might just be the cable or monitor so i let this slide for now then when it gets to the starting windows page and then after goes to a black screen. But the screen isn't a no input screen it still has a connection. Since then I've tried 2 different cables and another monitor. But still these yellow lines remain and it doesn't go past the starting windows page :( Before suggesting anything I don't want to open up my computer if this voids my warranty with them as I will be phoning them as soon as I can. Please help :(
Thanks

steaky360

Hi and welcome to the forums!

Opening up your computer wont void your warranty (assuming its a PCS PC ;)). Have you tried to start in safe mode to see if it boots up that way?

brzam

I have tried to boot to safe mode but it doesn't work it starts but then it says something about can't open it safe mode then it says restarting your computer then i am greeted with the same problem :( so no safe mode also yes it is a PCS PC :D

steaky360

Might be worth trying booting from the Windows CD and performing a clean install. If that fails definitely get in-touch with PCS to request an RMA / advice on how to sort it :)

brzam

:( yeah I thought about that but i didn't include a cd drive in my computer because i have no need for one :( anyway around that problem :Z and I will phone them tomorrow as they aren't open on Sundays :(

brzam

if i plug in an external disk drive would it work or does it need to be installed as driver first :( thanks for your help btw :D

steaky360

Its worth a shot (might need drivers though), might be a silly question but do you have another computer you could butcher (ahem.. I mean borrow) one from to try the install?

brzam

I do have another computer with disk drive one I'm using which the new one was a replacement for but I have no idea how to A) Take it out of this computer and B) Put it into the new computer but I'll try the external disk drive because my keyboard and mouse worked which didn't come with the computer came with my old one so hope that it would work the same with my new computer with disk drive :D

brzam

Also now this is a silly question to install windows do i just put the disk in on start up? or do i need to go into boot menu? or what :D thanks

brzam

Ok so ive tried to install windows onto it but then when i get to the page where it says to enter information the mouse and keyboard have stopped working and the screen its still strange no yellow likes but covered in graphical errors

steaky360

Sorry for responding sooner (was having late lunch *nom nom*) - Your mouse/keyboard should work during the install. Sorry I cant be of more help but it might be best in this instance to contact PCS tomorrow see what they think, it might be an RMA situation or they might be able to talk you through a fix. Fingers crossed and let us know how you get on!

brzam

:( now after getting my mouse to work it is saying something about "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table..." so cannot install and now i cannot boot it up without the widows disk being in the computer (external disk drive)
:(

steaky360

:( now after getting my mouse to work it is saying something about "Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table..." so cannot install and now i cannot boot it up without the widows disk being in the computer (external disk drive)
:(

You will need to delete all the original partitions on the hard drive before installing windows. There should be an option to do a 'clean install' as opposed to a repair etc. This should erase all your original partitions and allow you to install windows correctly.

brzam

Okay will do that just worried that if i delete both the partitions that it won't work at all :| are you sure that it won't :Z?

steaky360

If you don't feel comfortable doing it, wait until you speak to PCS tomorrow. They will be able to talk you through it or set up an RMA so you can send your rig back to them and they'll do it for you :)

brzam

am doing it now its quite difficult without a keyboard to get the sizes right :| for the partitions but going good :D have to share same monitor thats why there's a delay between messages :D sorry

brzam

Hey :D now on my new computer :D its working but has got some weird lines down the screen but I'm happy for now :D thanks for all your help

steaky360

At least its back on mate! Hopefully PCS will be able to sort it for you. All I would suggest is updating the graphics drivers (and the rest of the drivers).