X299 Vs Z490: How badly did I mess up?

I ordered the below build (mainly-for-games-but-for-years-to-come) after using the wrong configurator – as a less-experienced user, the difference between “CORE™ I7/I9 EXTREME COMPUTERS” and “TOP SPEC CORE™ COMPUTERS” was not obvious, nor was the fact that a more recent gaming-focused motherboard tech was only available in one of them, until I asked someone else, by which point it was too late. Normally I'd do more research. It was 3080 day so time was a factor.

Anyway, the gist is that I now know a Z490 motherboard would be the better choice, with an I9 10850K (the 10900K is pre-order only), rather than the X299 one I ordered. Also, it would be cheaper.

Normally I'd cancel and reorder, but I'm reluctant given I'd lose whatever place in the queue for a 3080 I already have. (Feels like cancelling and re-ordering would be resigning myself to not getting a machine until 2021 - though I may be at that place anyway.) For that reason, sticking with the sub-optimal choice also has appeal.

So, if I did just stick with it, what difference in practical performance would I see between the below build and an equivalent with a 10850K and a Maximus XII motherboard? Currently using a higher-end 1440P ultra wide, with plans to upgrade to a 4K one day. Would there also be issues down the road, given this machine is going to have a long life?

Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 10 Core Processor i9-10900X (3.7GHz) 19.25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X299-E GAMING II: ATX, USB 3.2, SATA 6 GB/s, Wi-Fi AC - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
1st Storage Drive
6TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 256MB CACHE
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)

Scott_B

Hello, I done exactly the same thing and feel like I’ve messed up, have you received your pc yet and if so how are you finding the x299 chipset?

Bigfoot

Grand Master
I would suggest that an X570 would be a better motherboard for now and the future, or even a B550.

MrWilson

Godlike
Given your Ultrawide monitor selection, I would recommend cancelling and going for an AMD build with a 3070 GPU. If you’re not getting a 4K 144hz display in the next few months the 3080 won’t be needed. The 3070 saves you a bit of money and has much better availability, so cancelling and getting an AMD build with a 3070 is going to get you better performance and should also get you your PC before a 3080 comes on your current order.

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Given your Ultrawide monitor selection, I would recommend cancelling and going for an AMD build with a 3070 GPU. If you’re not getting a 4K 144hz display in the next few months the 3080 won’t be needed. The 3070 saves you a bit of money and has much better availability, so cancelling and getting an AMD build with a 3070 is going to get you better performance and should also get you your PC before a 3080 comes on your current order.
I 2nd this. Would be a great move for your situation and you would probably be able to cancel, re order and receive a 3070 build before the 3080 build would arrive. Also looking at your spec, your storage solution is interesting. Is there any reason why you’ve gone for such a large HDD?

if you’d like us to help spec you a system, we’ll need to know your budget, use case and the refresh rate of your monitor. Also if you’re able to post the full spec of the X299 build that’ll be super helpful!

Edit: It looks like OP’s initial post was posted back in September last year but got no responses. Then Scott_B’s comment bought it to the top of the thread. I’m not sure if OP’s build has arrived (I’d assume so?) or even if we’d get a response from them. @Scott_B as we’ve said here, it’s probably worth cancelling and re-ordering with an AMD build depending on your uses. If you’re able to create a new thread with your spec, budget, monitor and use case we’ll be able to help you further.