Windows Start button acting very strange!

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
Evening all,

I have a really strange issue!

Windows done a few little updates the other day and now if I click on the windows start button at the bottom left hand side of the screen it opens then closes after a second or two. I cannot get it to stay open.

I tried using the windows button on the keyboard and it does the exact same thing... pops up then closes and I get the little blue circle around the curser like it's trying to do something. That flicks 3 or 4 times then that's it!

Any ideas?

Thanks
Rob

Bhuna50

Author Level
I have had this happen on two non PCS laptops (my spare laptop and my parents laptop) - I think you might find that there are still some updates downloading in the background and taking their time to install as after a while and a couple of reboots and restarts, I had the 'updating windows, dont turn off' type message and then it worked after that on my laptop, but parents laptop is still playing up a bit.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Does the Windows Key and X shortcut work? That would allow you to go into Settings and check if there are updates trying to sort themselves out.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
Just tried and nope. It opens then closes immediately.

If I try typing settings into the search bar it immediately deletes it and closes it!

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
To see if there are still updates running, have you tried clicking on the icon in the bottom right of the screen (the speech bubble thing) and going to settings that way?
I managed to get there by using the windows key and the i key. Computer up to date... nothing pending!

Really strange!

Mask3d

Silver Level Poster
Have you tried restarting the Windows Explorer process in task manager? I find any issues with funkiness in Windows 10 is usually resolved this way.

Rob D 88

Bronze Level Poster
Strange things happen sometimes with Windows Updates....my Update service suddenly refused to stop updating a few months ago for no reason (there may have been an update but I don't think so) and then a few bugs crept in. A full reinstall solved it so that may be the next step unless someone else can offer something helpful

It's been doing this for a few days so just now I gave it a restart. I normally shut down every night!

Just checked and it's working fine, what a weird computer this is turning out to be!

Thanks guys.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's been doing this for a few days so just now I gave it a restart. I normally shut down every night!

Just checked and it's working fine, what a weird computer this is turning out to be!

Thanks guys.
That sounds like a pending update that needed a restart then.

I would open an elevated command prompt and run an sfc /scannow command just to check that your system files are good.