Windows hardware disconnected sound at iCUE start

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I keep getting the sound like when you unplug a USB stick when iCUE boots. Anyone had this issue? Anyone knows how to solve this?

What I tried: disabling iCUE at Windows bootup, uninstalling iCUE, installing iCUE again

Citrus_9

Expert
I keep getting the sound like when you unplug a USB stick when iCUE boots. Anyone had this issue? Anyone knows how to solve this?

What I tried: disabling iCUE at Windows bootup, uninstalling iCUE, installing iCUE again
Didn't have time to read everything in the links below but at least something to start with:

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Didn't have time to read everything in the links below but at least something to start with:

Already read those unfortunately

Citrus_9

Expert
Go to the device manager. Select "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". In that sub menu, Next double click the first "USB Root Hub" entry. Next select the "Power Management" tab, and uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Do this for all of them and see if you still have issues. To be more elaborate, CUE always will poll the USB ports to detect your RGB peripherals. If your USB port is using a hub for example (not physical hub but USB device hub on motherboard), youll get the disconnect sound because the hub didn't enumerate correctly to our polling request.

You can use software like USBDeview to see what is triggering the sound when it happens as well to isolate the issue: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Source: https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=161278&page=2

D

Deleted member 17413

Mine does the same, and its done it since i changed from iCue 3.8 to iCue 4.
So far I havent seen any worrying behaviour from it, but it does sound -very- similar to those posts from 2016...
Perhaps an old bug resurfaced?

D

Deleted member 17413

Go to the device manager. Select "Universal Serial Bus Controllers". In that sub menu, Next double click the first "USB Root Hub" entry. Next select the "Power Management" tab, and uncheck "allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Do this for all of them and see if you still have issues. To be more elaborate, CUE always will poll the USB ports to detect your RGB peripherals. If your USB port is using a hub for example (not physical hub but USB device hub on motherboard), youll get the disconnect sound because the hub didn't enumerate correctly to our polling request.

You can use software like USBDeview to see what is triggering the sound when it happens as well to isolate the issue: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usb_devices_view.html

Thats making a lot of sense...

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

Did the powermanagement thing but nothing changed, checked with nirsoft tool and nothing weird there either

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Mine does the same, and its done it since i changed from iCue 3.8 to iCue 4.
So far I havent seen any worrying behaviour from it, but it does sound -very- similar to those posts from 2016...
Perhaps an old bug resurfaced?
Seems like Corsair is having fun. It started tonight for me, not when I initially installed iCUE. I uninstalled it, installed it again and after that it all started

Citrus_9

Expert
Seems that when the software instructs the RGB lights to do a pattern besides a constant light, that's what causes the USB disconnects.

Last edited:

Citrus_9

Expert
"So I figured out the issue after all this time, hopefully someone will see this who is having the same problem. I know it was from my Corsair iCue software that controls my RGB lighting and fans. For some reason it has to do with the USB cable that goes from my liquid cooler's pump to the motherboard, although I think some also have the same issue due to their other Corsair products that connect via USB. When I don't have iCue on startup, the USB Disconnect sound would not happen when I would sign in. Although for my lighting I really wanted iCue on startup... So I figured out going into Device Manager and in "Human Interface Devices" I right-clicked every single "USB Input Device" and the "Corsair composite virtual input device" and in their properties in the Power Management tab disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". (I first tried doing the same thing for all the "USB Root Hub" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", but that didn't fix the problem for me, so just wanted to make that clear so others don't do that instead by mistake.)"

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/1815422173023688080/

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
"So I figured out the issue after all this time, hopefully someone will see this who is having the same problem. I know it was from my Corsair iCue software that controls my RGB lighting and fans. For some reason it has to do with the USB cable that goes from my liquid cooler's pump to the motherboard, although I think some also have the same issue due to their other Corsair products that connect via USB. When I don't have iCue on startup, the USB Disconnect sound would not happen when I would sign in. Although for my lighting I really wanted iCue on startup... So I figured out going into Device Manager and in "Human Interface Devices" I right-clicked every single "USB Input Device" and the "Corsair composite virtual input device" and in their properties in the Power Management tab disabled "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power". (I first tried doing the same thing for all the "USB Root Hub" under "Universal Serial Bus controllers", but that didn't fix the problem for me, so just wanted to make that clear so others don't do that instead by mistake.)"

Source: https://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/1815422173023688080/
I see a lot of people are getting it from different things on iCUE, some of them keyboard, others mouse etc... It's seems more iCUE related

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Update: tried a clean install of Windows, it still persists. At this point I think it's iCUE having trouble with the latest release

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

Yes I get it too. I did check that everything was functioning normally and that nothing has a problem in Device Manager, there are no entries of note in the event logs and everything seems fine. I've just chalked it up as an iCue curiosity and parked it. :)

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yes I get it too. I did check that everything was functioning normally and that nothing has a problem in Device Manager, there are no entries of note in the event logs and everything seems fine. I've just chalked it up as an iCue curiosity and parked it. :)
Amazing, at least now I know it’s not me 😂

AleTax

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
No strange noises here - although I've only recently upgraded to iCUE 4 (iCUE 3 app told me everything was up to date).
Well as I said when I initially installed iCUE I didn’t have the sound. It came out after some hours. I tried also installing a fresh copy of Windows but that didn’t help

zerosteve

Did anyone ever find a solution for this beyond "disable windows disconnect sound"

Incredibly annoying having the sound play everytime the computer boots.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I started getting it after adding a Corsair Commander Pro and 'tidying' up some cabling.

It turned out to be a loose connection to the USB hub in the bottom of the case near the PSU.

USB hub.jpg