Windows 1511 Lagging Issues

paul1224

I have had nothing but issues with Windows 1511 version and wondered if anyone could help, the summary of the history is as follows:

- Windows 7 Ultimate upgraded to Windows 10 Pro no issues.

- Windows 10 Pro reset for a clean installation with no problems.

- Windows 10 Pro updated automatically to 1511 then PROBLEMS!

- EVERYTIME I FIRST boot the PC it is unbelievably lagging like I have 512mb of RAM not 4GB!

- If I then restart (not shutdown) it works fine!

- Due to issues I went to reset Windows 10 again for a clean install and it failed, I clicked to go back to Windows 10 and my PC rebooted but stated that there was no operating system on the disc!

- I had to reinstall Windows 7 Ultimate, upgrade to Windows 10 and then went to reset for a clean installation but it again failed but this time didn't wipe the operating system.

- Due to this I burned a DVD with the Windows 10 installation on and performed a clean install.

- No problems with the system UNTIL it went to 1511 version and then back to all the lagging.

- I have hardly ANY programs on my PC other than the operating system so it definitely appears to be a Windows 10 1511 issue.

- I have checked around the net and found someone mentioning that if you go into 'Appearance & Personalisation' and via 'advanced' you click on 'change' for the virtual memory and click on 'custom size' and then make sure that both of the figures input match the recommended paging size it may help but it hasn't! Weirdly when I went into that first time it said recommended 1407MB and allocated 1408MB does that sound right!?

I can't believe how bad this 1511 version has made my PC and the amount of issues this has caused me additionally at one stage it kept stating that the display driver had stopped working but I have clean installed to the most up to date Nvidia driver and now it isn't coming up with those errors but still lagging like hell!

Can anyone suggest what I can do as previously I would have just avoided 1511 version but some smart people at Microsoft decided that every update would go through no matter what the user wanted to do, amazing that the customer gets no choice great business sense!

Any help appreciated as I can't seem to find a solution on the net and this is killing my PC and I would prefer not to have to do ANOTHER clean install this time back to Windows 7 when Microsoft could actually produce software that worked.

My PCS PC is quite old, Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8500, 4GB RAM, Nvidia GEFORCE 9600 GT GPU. However my PC ran very fast and smoothly before on everything but 1511 so they MUST have changed something that has screwed it up. As I type this the actual screen is about 10 seconds behind every letter I type it is that bad!

Any help appreciated.

EDIT: I have reset the virtual memory back to allowing Windows to manage it and this doesn't make any difference so I don't think it could be an issue in this area. Furthermore I have just restarted my PC after the first boot and it runs like a dream again! It is ALWAYS ONLY the first boot of the PC that this issue occurs!

EDIT(2): I have tested it further and it is definitely only on the first start up that the lagging occurs, EVERY restart works perfectly but EVERY shutdown and start from cold lags. I've come to the conclusion that Windows 10 MUST be running something on the first start up that is crippling my PC but defrag is 'disabled' and I've tried checking in Task Manager for anything obvious and can't see it.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
There are no problems with 1511 (build 10586.11) on my laptop.

AKAIK the only difference between a cold boot and a restart is that the devices are not powered off during a restart, so it kinda sounds like some sort of device issue. It's as though the device doesn't start properly on cold boot but it's ok in a restart because it's already powered-up and running.

Where are you getting your drivers from? Are you installing them manually or letting Windows Update find them? If Windows Update is installing drivers you will almost certainly have to install the chipset driver manually, I doubt Update will find that. That might be your problem?

The recent upgrade to build 10586 is not like a regular Windows update, it is effectively a reinstall, so even if you had installed the chipset driver on the last build you will have to install it again after 15086.

paul1224

I installed direct from Nvidia website and made sure Windows Update didn't install it for me.

I don't think it is the graphics driver as the error messages only came up once and have never since even when the system has still been lagging. To me it feels like some form of process is running on the first boot but not on a restart but god knows what.

paul1224

Just a further update, I have a ASUS P5QPL-AM Mobo but I've never installed the chipset drivers for this I believe as I think Windows has just automatically done them before.

I tried to uses my disc to update them that I got with the Mobo but it states that they aren't compatible with W10, I tried the Asus website and they only go up to W8.1.

Could this be the issue? However previously I have run W10 with no issues without downloading the Mobo chipset drivers so wonder now why it would be any different and why a restart makes things run perfectly.

bbnck

I do wonder if it's possible to downgrade from the 1511 update, like you can with other updates. It's not recommended to downgrade from updates that include security fixes and improvements, but if you do want to see if you can downgrade, search for "Installed Updates" from the Start menu and then select "View installed updates" from the search results. See if it's listed there with an option to remove that update.

paul1224

I do wonder if it's possible to downgrade from the 1511 update, like you can with other updates. It's not recommended to downgrade from updates that include security fixes and improvements, but if you do want to see if you can downgrade, search for "Installed Updates" from the Start menu and then select "View installed updates" from the search results. See if it's listed there with an option to remove that update.

It allows me to view the installed updates and remove them but the 1511 update isn't there but there is another option that states 'uninstall latest preview build' but I don't think that is related to 1511. In essence I don't think it allows to uninstall 1511 and even if it did the windows updates would probably just reinstall it anyway I assume!

bbnck

It allows me to view the installed updates and remove them but the 1511 update isn't there but there is another option that states 'uninstall latest preview build' but I don't think that is related to 1511. In essence I don't think it allows to uninstall 1511 and even if it did the windows updates would probably just reinstall it anyway I assume!

Ah I see. I suspected it wouldn't be listed as it looks like the 1511 update is more of an "upgrade," since Microsoft are treating Windows 10 as a rolling release now. Nonetheless I am surprised Microsoft does not provide any easy way to remove the update in case problems occur, as in your case.

The only thing I can possibly think that might help at this point is to do a System Restore, but if you choose to go down this route, you will lose any applications and drivers you may have installed during the time the 1511 update has been installed. See if a restoration is possible by going to Control Panel -> System and Security -> System -> under "Computer name, domain and workgroup settings", select "Change settings" on the right-side -> click on the "System Protection" tab -> select the "System Restore" button and check if a restore point was created when the 1511 update was installed. If this works and you decide to restore, you may want to look at temporarily preventing the update from being reinstalled. See this Microsoft Knowledgebase article on how you may be able to do that.

In any case, be advised the 1511 upgrade may contain security-related updates or software vulnerability patches.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just a further update, I have a ASUS P5QPL-AM Mobo but I've never installed the chipset drivers for this I believe as I think Windows has just automatically done them before.

I tried to uses my disc to update them that I got with the Mobo but it states that they aren't compatible with W10, I tried the Asus website and they only go up to W8.1.

Could this be the issue? However previously I have run W10 with no issues without downloading the Mobo chipset drivers so wonder now why it would be any different and why a restart makes things run perfectly.

I think it probably could. If the chipset driver hasn't been modified by the PC builder then Windows Update will install the standard driver, but if the chipset driver has been modified (and they sometimes are) then you'll have to install it manually.

You can check what chipset driver is installed by going to Device Manager > System Devices, listed in there are all the chipset components, selecting any of them will let you see what chipset driver version is installed.

If the Asus website doesn't have a Windows 10 chipset driver for your mobo then you may not remain fully compatible with Windows 10 as it develops.

paul1224

Thank you for the replies, a system restore doesn't improve the situation as it still only goes back to the 1511 update and that is when the issues started occurring.

With regards to the chipset drivers my thinking would be that these are the culprits but W10 before 1511 worked like a dream (with no chipset drivers downloaded only the Microsoft default ones) and now on 1511 when I restart the PC it also works like a dream.

It is only the first boot that is the issue and I can't fathom why the chipset drivers would cause an issue of first boot only, surely the problem would be consistent if it was them causing the issues? I've emailed Asus asking for their advice to see what they say.

I still feel that somewhere there could be something programmed at first boot only that is causing the interference as it is only then that it lags. However I can't find out what this could be or if that is the cause which is the frustrating thing.

The latest windows build (1511) seams to still think its part of the insider program, the roll back to previous insider build should take you back to your previous windows build wether it was an insider previews build or not.

paul1224

Thanks for that, I'm trying to resolve the problem on 1511 if I can and now the more I search online the more it could also be a graphics driver problem as some people have experienced issues in this area, others seem to be saying it could be a network issue when W10 is trying to load a network already set up on the PC.

It appears it could be a multitude of things at present!

paul1224

Just a further update if someone can help, on my OS it states that for the page file it is recommended 1407MB and allocated 1408MB.

I didn't think anything of it but then when looking on the net Microsoft states the following 'sets the initial minimum size of the paging file equal to the amount of random access memory (RAM) installed on your computer, and the maximum size equal to three times the amount of RAM installed on your computer'

I have 4Gb RAM, is there any reason why the paging file above is stating the maximum recommended is 1407MB and could this be causing the lag?

EDIT: I have checked and 4Gb is definitely showing on my system so both RAM sticks do appear to be showing up via Control Panel and CCleaner.

Last edited:

Frank100

Rising Star
Just needed to ask before I post some suggestions, do you do a 'standard Windows 10 shutdown' or a full power completely gone shutdown? If you choose shutdown in Windows 8 onwards it actually puts the computer into a hybrid hibernate mode. To actually shut it down completely you have to hold the SHIFT button as you shut down. It might be interesting to compare these two approaches. The newer hybrid approach should boot more quickly but it's how it behaves once you get to the logon prompt and beyond that seems to be the issue.

paul1224

Just needed to ask before I post some suggestions, do you do a 'standard Windows 10 shutdown' or a full power completely gone shutdown? If you choose shutdown in Windows 8 onwards it actually puts the computer into a hybrid hibernate mode. To actually shut it down completely you have to hold the SHIFT button as you shut down. It might be interesting to compare these two approaches. The newer hybrid approach should boot more quickly but it's how it behaves once you get to the logon prompt and beyond that seems to be the issue.

Hi thanks for the reply, I think I have resolved the issue and I think you were in the right place. I realised that I shutdown my PC via 'Power' and 'Shutdown' which actually is the hybrid hibernation shutdown mode that Windows/Microsoft seems to now like. I then realised that this could be why the restart and the boot from cold are creating different results.

Due to this I turned off the 'fast boot' option and 'touch wood' it appears to have resolved the issue.

I completed a sfc /scannow and it still shows some corrupt files that can't be repaired which appear to be linked to the GPU driver even though I have used DDU and a clean install of the new drivers from Nvidia but that aside the boot is now fine on shutdown and restart.

Appreciate all replies and efforts, thanks.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Hi thanks for the reply, I think I have resolved the issue and I think you were in the right place. I realised that I shutdown my PC via 'Power' and 'Shutdown' which actually is the hybrid hibernation shutdown mode that Windows/Microsoft seems to now like. I then realised that this could be why the restart and the boot from cold are creating different results.

Due to this I turned off the 'fast boot' option and 'touch wood' it appears to have resolved the issue.

I completed a sfc /scannow and it still shows some corrupt files that can't be repaired which appear to be linked to the GPU driver even though I have used DDU and a clean install of the new drivers from Nvidia but that aside the boot is now fine on shutdown and restart.

Appreciate all replies and efforts, thanks.

Well done. I have Hibernate disabled on my laptop too.

Regarding the sfc /scannow errors, you could try rebuilding the component store with DISM. To do that open up an elevated command prompt and enter the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". If that can't correct the component store errors than I'd do a reinstall.

paul1224

Well done. I have Hibernate disabled on my laptop too.

Regarding the sfc /scannow errors, you could try rebuilding the component store with DISM. To do that open up an elevated command prompt and enter the command "dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth". If that can't correct the component store errors than I'd do a reinstall.

Yeah I'm going to try the DISM option as I tried that when troubleshooting earlier, however if that doesn't work (and it didn't before when I tried it) I think I'm going to leave it as I have googled the cbs error logs I am getting and they all appear to relate to NVidia drivers even though I have performed a clean install of drivers and OS.

When looking at other peoples attempts to fix the errors some have fixed a few of them but I can't see anyone fixing them all and it appears to be a known issue between W10 and Nvidia on certain systems. I don't think after getting my system back to how I now want it I can face another reinstall so as long as the system works stable I'll let it go and hope Nvida or Microsoft at some stage address the conflicts that they seem to be having in some situations.

paul1224

Just a further update in case someone can help or advise.

The DISM didn't fix the corrupt files and I was initially going to leave it due to all the time I have had to spend trying to resolve this issue but one of my games has started to freeze from time to time so I think I may have to fresh install again to try to get a more stable OS.

I have 2 questions:
1. I have W10 burned to a DVD, should I do a fresh install via that or just via the Settings - Restore function in Windows 10 as on the net there is mixed advice as to which is best.

2. The issue I think I am having with the OS is that when I first clean install W10 it downloads the NVidia drivers automatically and it doesn't download the most recent driver and adds some other software that I never use or normally download like GE Force Experience and the 3D Driver. Should I allow Windows to do this download automatically or should I save the Nvidia drivers to a DVD/USB and when I fresh install W10 not allow an internet connection and load the Nvidia drivers immediately after the install and only after that then allow an internet connection to avoid Windows updates mucking up the driver installation?

Any help or opinions appreciated.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
1. A clean install from DVD is always a better bet than a Windows system restore.

2. You can't stop Windows 10 installing updates, not even driver updates. If you install an NVIDIA driver and Windows thinks it has a better one it will install it.

I would do a completely clean install (choose a custom install, delete all partitions, recreate a single partition and install Windows into that). Run Windows update until no more updates are found (but do not install the 1511 upgrade) and then test your system as thoroughly as you can.

If it doesn't lag or misbehave then do the 1511 upgrade before installing any other software or making any config changes and thoroughly test again. If it lags then it's most likely a hardware issue.

paul1224

Many thanks for the reply, the lagging issues are definitely due to the fast boot so I'll just disable that and hopefully that will keep it running as it should.

I thought that I could stop Windows doing updates if there was no internet connection? Do you think that my plan to reinstall W10, deny an internet connection, install the GPU drivers via a DVD and only then let Windows do any updates would work as then it shouldn't install any additional drivers if the GPU driver is already up to date?

I'm just concerned that it is this Windows update for the GPU where the issues are occurring so want a clean install of the GPU drivers before W10 starts mucking about with them.

Thanks

paul1224

Hopefully a final update. I clean installed from DVD W10 and no issues with booting but same errors found via sfc /scannow.

Performed a W10 refresh via DVD and chose the option to keep all my files/apps/settings and this has removed all folder corruptions and things now seem back to normal.

Just in case it helps other.