Windows 10 1903 imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all

Just a fair warning, we've got patch tuesday scheduled tomorrow and it's possible (although there's been no official confirmation if it's on track) that the latest Windows 10 upgrade will ship as version 1903.

It may be worth delaying any os updates if you have the ability to to see everything goes through smoothly. That's asking for a small miracle given MS update history over the last couple of years so for less unexpected pain, deferring updates is probably the way to go.

Thanks

SpyderTracks

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
You beat me to it - I was about to say it went to Slow Ring a few hours ago.

If they keep on track with the semi-annual releases, we can actually expect it to land (providing there are no major issues reported) around the end of this month.

Thankfully my day-to-day rig is on the long term service release version so no upgrades for me there.

Other stuff will get it though :)

Just thought I'd drop the current list of known issues:

Known issues in Windows 10 1903 build 18351:
Launching games that use anti-cheat software may trigger a bugcheck (GSOD).
Creative X-Fi sound cards are not functioning properly. We are partnering with Creative to resolve this issue.
While this flight contains some night light improvements, we’re continuing to investigate reported issues in this space.
Some Realtek SD card readers are not functioning properly. We are investigating the issue.
We’re investigating reports of the Chinese version of multiple games not working.
We’re investigating an issue where region settings are being reset on upgrade for some Insiders. Fixed with Build 18351.7.
We’re investigating an issue preventing VMware from being able to install or update Windows Insider Preview builds. Hyper-V is a viable alternative if available to you.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I've come across a useful calendar here which I'll summarise below....

March 12 2019 - Windows 10 1903 begins rollout (to the slow ring)

April 9 2019 - security updates cease for Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update
April 9 2019 - all updates cease for Windows 10 Anniversary Update

September 10 2019
- Windows 10 1909 begins rollout (to the slow ring)

October 8 2019 - all updates cease for Windows 10 Creator's Update

November 12 2019 - support ceases for Windows 10 1083 Home and Pro

January 14 2020 - support ceases for Windows 7 all versions. Extended Security Update plan available for critical and important updates (at a cost) for Enterprise and Education versions.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I've come across a useful calendar here which I'll summarise below....

March 12 2019 - Windows 10 1903 begins rollout (to the slow ring)

April 9 2019 - security updates cease for Windows 10 Fall Creator's Update
April 9 2019 - all updates cease for Windows 10 Anniversary Update

September 10 2019
- Windows 10 1909 begins rollout (to the slow ring)

October 8 2019 - all updates cease for Windows 10 Creator's Update

November 12 2019 - support ceases for Windows 10 1083 Home and Pro

January 14 2020 - support ceases for Windows 7 all versions. Extended Security Update plan available for critical and important updates (at a cost) for Enterprise and Education versions.

Gosh, they’re being quite strict with ending fall creators updates so promptly. I get why they’re doing that but given their history with update issues, I’m not sure that date won’t get heavily delayed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
The Windows Sandbox available in 1903 Pro and Enterprise editions looks to be the perfect reason for me to move my Windows 10 Pro version off my laptop and onto my desktop. I'll be a pretty regular sandbox user!

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
This is one of the downsides of choosing the LTSC version on my day-to-day machine - I lost out on new features like this that can actually be useful.

But I have my sandboxed VM's still, so not a major headache for me, just a minor inconvenience.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
More like...

Released Tuesday, pulled Wednesday, Released Monday, pulled Wednesday, released some time around August, if previous releases were anything to go by...

A better sweepstake might be what they mess up this time?

We've had permanent files deletion with no user notification or interaction, so I'm not betting on that one.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I’m unsure weather or not to enable them on my laptop as I would like to test it, and don’t have anything of particular value on that machine, but I can’t live without it for even a day.

I have no doubt something major will crop up.

Tony1044

Prolific Poster
I’m unsure weather or not to enable them on my laptop as I would like to test it, and don’t have anything of particular value on that machine, but I can’t live without it for even a day.

I have no doubt something major will crop up.

Grab a copy of Virtual Box - it's free, and slap a copy of Windows 10 onto it. You can use the trial versions and reinstall as and when required.

That way you can test it without risking your machine.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Grab a copy of Virtual Box - it's free, and slap a copy of Windows 10 onto it. You can use the trial versions and reinstall as and when required.

That way you can test it without risking your machine.

Yeah, think that's a very good idea!

My main concern is the data wiping, pretty much everything else I can rescue without too much bother.

EDIT: I know I say this a lot on this forum, but why have I never come across VirtualBox before???? It's fantastic for home use!

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
VirtualBox is a great way to test out new versions of Windows but I take a different approach. Because I image my system drive automatically every night what I do is download the new version as soon as it's available and then I clean install it, on the real machine. As we've talked about before, I can get all my third party software installed and all the personalisation done in a under a day with ease - lots of practice you see. ;)

Since I keep 14 days worth of system drive images I have two weeks to test the new version (if I need longer I'll just make the latest copy of the old version permanent), if for any reason I don't like the new version, or if Microsoft find problems (as they did last time), I just restore the most recent image of the old version and I'm back running as I was in 10 minutes or so.

It's just another advantage of scheduled nightly system drive images, and years of experience managing large mainframes. :)

adamwright1989

At least this update has more chance of working on an actual PC rather than an Apple running Bootcamp. Every time Windows 10 updated I think Bootcamp threw its toys out the pram. For this, I am so glad I no longer have my iMac as I await my new PCS gaming computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.