Win10 License Transfer

Rbaut

Bronze Level Poster
Do PCS builds use Windows 10 Home licences or OEM? I believe Home/personal licences can be transferred, but OEM cannot?

Essentially I'm trying to establish if some way down the line I would need to rebuy Windows when moving to another build.

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
If you buy a system with Windows from PCS, the license is tied to the BIOS. When you get it all hooked up and complete the out of box experience, you’ll associate an account to it. If you want to transfer that license to another PC in future, you just need to disassociate the account and license from that computer and then you’re free to move it over 👍

Harag

Gold Level Poster
Saying that, you don't need a MS Account for Windows 10, you can set it up without one. So what are the transfer options for this. Also if you do go with a MS account, can you have more than 1 windows assigned to it (e.g. 3 pcs in household assigned to one account).

Harag

Gold Level Poster
Thanks all, my last build was with Win7 (although since updated to Win10), times clearly changin'!
If you have a label on your Win 7 box with the window key on it (or you have the key elsewhere), then I believe you can also transfer that key to a windows 10 box and install windows 10 using that key (you can with win 8.1, so guess it's the same for 7), so could also save you some money.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you have a label on your Win 7 box with the window key on it (or you have the key elsewhere), then I believe you can also transfer that key to a windows 10 box and install windows 10 using that key (you can with win 8.1, so guess it's the same for 7), so could also save you some money.
You certainly could do this recently, I'm pretty sure you still can. It has to be on the same hardware though.....

Harag

Gold Level Poster
It has to be on the same hardware though.....
Ahh, was unaware of this, though that does sounds daft as the upgrade in windows would also probably mean your getting a new PC - I have a couple of OLD win7 PCs in house that when they finally die I was hoping to transfer the key to a new machine.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Just upgrade the Win 7 system to Win 10 using the Win 7 key (assuming it still works) and then transfer to the new system when you get it

Indeed. Install Windows 10 on the old PC using the Windows 7 key, associate the license with a Microsoft ID, shutdown the old PC (never to be used with Windows again) and on the new PC use your Microsoft ID and the license will be transferred.