While i'm waiting .......

dogbot

Bright Spark
FWIW
Buying a Vortex 3 as a desktop replacement for Phenom 965 with GTS 250 computer. Nothing wrong with it but I need to be a bit

more mobile around the house.
Not a gamer (unless you still consider Doom 3 to be a game) but do some video editing so needed something with reasonable power

and storage.

Spec chosen as follows

Chassis and Display
17.3" Matte full HD. Also needed firewire and DVI output for a monitor. Could have done with the arrow keys being a little

remote from the others but you can't have everything. Maybe I can change the backlight colour for just those keys.

Processor.
The i7 3740QM was about as high as I could go but should be adequate. Mainly important for video rendering.

Memory
16 Gb is a bit of overkill but will futureproof.

Graphics card
GTX 675MX. Does not need to be a top notch card. Program uses cuda. Had an ATI card once but not impressed with their driver

record. (what does it do with 4Gb ram)

Hard drives
750 Gb Seagate Momentus XT Hybrid 6Gb/sec
1 Tb WD Scorpio Blue 3 Gb/sec
Not tried the Seagate before but it seems a reasonable alternative to an SSD, where the only real benefit is at bootup, and yet

have plenty of disc space. I don't think the WD Scorpio Blue would have been my first choice but there was little choice in the

1 Tb range.

DVD/ Blu-ray drive.
6x Blu-ray writer (my first one)

Thermal Paste
Arctic MX-4. At first I chose the standard paste but then amended. Seems silly to risk overheating for the sake of £9.

Operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit. Yes, I have tried Win 8, had it for 15 months. I still have it on the desktop in modified form

but I still don't like it.

Carry case
Trust Sydney 17.3" Notebook carry bag. Useful if only to keep all the bits together. Who knows, I might even want to take it

somewhere.

So there you have it. Now for the long wait - now at day 2.

dogbot

Bright Spark
Phsycologically I am thinking of a despatch at the end of the month where I stand a chance of it being delivered by the end of next week. For this to happen, the time spent in pre-production is critical and ideally should be in build by the end of this week. However, I appreciate that it is susceptible to shortages/ delivery schedules etc. It looks like a previous slippage is being made up (mini-PC's now have that problem) so I am hopeful.

Of course if the despatch date is greater than average (50 - 50 chance) then I shall feel gutted with the prospect of a further, and possibly 2, long weekends.

Let's see how it goes.

Date Day Working Day Status
W 13th Ordered
T 14th 1 1 Processing
F 15th 2 2 Processing
S 16th 3 W/E
S 17th 4 W/E
M 18th 5 3 Processing
T 19th 6 4 Pre-production
W 20th 7 5
T 21st 8 6
F 22nd 9 7
S 23rd 10 W/E
S 24th 11 W/E
M 25th 12 8
T 26th 13 9
W 27th 14 10
T 28th 15 11
F 1st 16 12 Average Despatch
S 2nd 17 W/E
S 3rd 18 W/E :taz:

ADDED

That was a bit of a no-no, the table spacing was not accepted.

Last edited:

dogbot

Bright Spark
It is now day 14 (working day 10) and still in pre-production so obviously I have not been lucky.

However, on enquiring from PCS, I am told that my Vortex III chassis is due in tomorrow and it is hoped will be dispatched early(ish) next week. Hope that helps anyone in a similar position.