Which VR Headset do I rent?? Advice needed!!

sam_s1

Hey Guys,

I'm a student at the moment so unsurprisingly funds are tight but I'm a massive gamer and I really want to try out a VR headset. I've done some research and I've found a site that will let me hire a VR headset for a few days which seems pretty ideal to me.

As this is going to be a one off for me I want to make sure i get one which A) i can use, B) has a decent games library. My options are: PS4VR, HTC Vive and the Oculus rift DK2.

I should point out i own a ps4 and a PC with a gtx 1050. Would i be able to run the PC headsets or is it simpler to go with Ps4? (i should also note the ps4 one is most expensive to hire).

Any and all help would be amazing! Would appreciate any advice whether it be technical/hardware stuff or just a recommendation!

thanks!

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Do you have access to VR games? If not then I would suggest the PC is the only option as at least there are quite a few freebies to try out. Not sure on the 1050 being powerful enough for proper use but hopefully it'll be enough for a taster :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Well the min specs of the Vive claim they want a 970 and for the Rift it's GTX 1050 Ti / GTX 960, so the GTX1050 might not be quite enough, but I don't know

I know in PCWorld they will let you try out the Vive there (but obviously probably not for long) if you book it, they don't seem to offer the same for the Occulus looking at their website but they may do so.

rav007

Enthusiast
Are the VR minimum specs not based on 2160x1200 at 90fps? I thought that was the checker, my GTX 1060 barely makes it in the Steam VR test. If you can game at that, I have a feeling you may be alright.You may want to try your VR capable applications with those settings using dynamic super-resolution to get close to the 2160x1200 resolution, and ensure your FPS isn't capped, in your VR capable game. If you're getting close to 90fps, I think you may be alright?

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
If it's the Steam VR test how does your 1060 barely make it?
steamvr.png

What CPU is the OP's 1050 paired with I wonder?

rav007

Enthusiast
I could have sworn I got like a score of 6 one time! I don't know, but I always tested the laptop in the optimus mode and I got 6.8 when I tested it 10 minutes ago. Then I put it into discrete mode and managed to get this:

VR.PNG

Strange.

EDIT: the above was an anomaly and I can't get that score again. It does fluctuate between 5.9 and 6.8. Kinda disappointing really but oh well.

Last edited: