Weird flickering/flashing in-game using Display Port

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there.

I've been having strange display issues while using Display Port. In game, I've been experiencing strange flickering or flashing where the picture seems to rapidly change between the normal colour and a blueish shade. It's more prevalent in dark areas or when the game is loading. I don't seem to have this issue with HDMI.

My monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p, 240Hz), my GPU is a RTX 3080 and I have my refresh rate set to 240Hz through Display Settings (actually appearing as 239.96Hz on my machine). The Display Port cable I'm using is an iVanky 8K 1.4 DP cable but for several months I've been using the standard DP cable that Samsung provided with my monitor. I recently swapped it out for the iVanky cable and haven't really noticed much of a difference. It used to also flicker with certain programs on desktop if the UI is a shade of grey and would appear like it was flickering between grey and a very dark shade of blue, but this has since fixed itself. It only seems to do it in games now and it varies depending on title.

I've tried lowering the refresh rate and capping my frames, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. I've also checked the cable to make sure that it isn't loose but it seems fine. Both my GPU drivers and my monitor's firmware are up to date. My monitor's firmware was initially outdated so I updated it to see if it would fix it but unfortunately hasn't. I've been having quite a few issues since switching to DP. For a while after getting my PC, I'd been using HDMI at 144Hz and honestly it ran great. I had no issue with the picture and my temperatures were a lot lower. With DP and at 240Hz, I started noticing the weird flashing and my temperatures were higher, even on desktop. In-game, probably due to the higher FPS but honestly that's been more of a curse than a blessing in terms of performance. I've also had to enable G-Sync to fix some strange screen tearing I was having.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do. I want to take advantage of my monitor's refresh rate but I don't mind jumping back to HDMI. It's convenient for me though to use DP with my PC instead as I've been using a laptop to work from home and with the free HDMI port on my monitor it's easier to connect as opposed to pulling out wires everyday. I was wondering if anyone had any ideas as to what's causing the issue or any fixes I could try. I've managed to ignore it up until now as in the games I've been playing it's just a minor issue that I notice from time to time, though lately I've noticed it more frequently in other games.

I received my PC in November from PCS and it's been great so far, just the display issues I've been having. I don't think it's necessarily the PC that's causing the issue and apologies if this isn't appropriate for the forum, but just in case it is I thought I'd check in anyway.

My PC specs are:
  • Case: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX TD500 MESH ARGB GAMING CASE
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Eight Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.5GHz/100MB CACHE/AM4)
  • Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
  • Memory: 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
  • Graphics Card: 10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
  • Graphics Card Support Bracket: PCS GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET
  • 1st M.2 SSD Drive: 500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
  • 2nd M.2 SSD Drive: 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
  • DVD/Blu-Ray Drive: NOT REQUIRED
  • Power Supply: CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
  • Power Cable: 1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
  • Processor Cooling: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE RGB High Performance CPU Cooler
  • Thermal Paste: STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
  • Sound Card: ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
  • Network Card: 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
  • Wireless Network Card: WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
  • USB/Thunderbolt Options: MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
  • Operating System Language: United Kingdom - English Language
  • Windows Recovery Media: Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
My monitor is a Samsung Odyssey G7 (1440p, 240Hz) and the Display Port I'm using is an iVanky 8K 1.4 cable (32.4Gbps).

Thanks.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Not sure if any of the solves in this Reddit may help:

You need to click on "read more" just below the screengrab to show the full post. The short version is:

1) Enable VRR in the monitor's OSD (I think that's where it's supposed to be changed)

2) Go into NVIDIA control panel and make sure colour depth is set to 8bpc not 10bpc
Hey that did it! Tested it in the game that was flickering really badly and didn't notice a thing this time. Thanks so much man, much appreciated!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This is a common issue on Samsungs, they tend to take a bit of tweaking to get working properly out of the box, but when you’ve got it working properly, they are absolutely fantastic for the price. Well done @CountingDown good spot.