Want to upgrade ram from 32gb to 64gb

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Hi all. I am wanting to upgrade my ram from 32GB to 64GB. Reason being. I bought new hogwarts legacy game. When i am playing the game. Streaming/Recording via Nvidia Geforce.. I also have Discord open as talking to friends. Plus other stuff open and running in background that i need. Stream deck, Mic, Whatever else i am using. My memory in task manager is running aorund 27-28GB. Noticed hogwarts is using alot. everything else is balanced out. So was wondering what is the best 64gb ram to buy. Spec of my machine.

Case CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 680X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
MotherboardASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (4 x 8GB)
Graphics Card10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080
1st M.2 SSD Drive1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive1TB PCS PCIe M.2 SSD (2000 MB/R, 1100 MB/W)
1st Storage DriveNOT REQUIRED
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCorsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting2x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hogwarts is a really poorly optimised game.

People get very confused about RAM, adding more doesn't improve performance at all unless it's being used.

But you're no where near 32Gb usage yet, I wouldn't suggest upping it. 4Gb spare is an awful lot, if you were overrunning it would be at 100% usage and you'd see the pagefile being written to (in hard faults)

If your hard faults reading is very high than that's a different story.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It has been confirmed that Hogwarts has a memory leak as well, so it's not actually using the amount that it's reserving, it's a bug that needs fixing

It appears it's related to the VRAM (video RAM) running out, not the RAM, then it's offloading resourcing to the RAM. You need to adjust your video settings

So it doesn't matter how much RAM you put in, the game will swallow it until the bug is fixed. But it's not actually using that RAM, it's just allocating it.

It won't make any difference upgrading to 64Gb, you don't need it.

Last edited:

carlos726811

Bright Spark
It has been confirmed that Hogwarts has a memory leak as well, so it's not actually using the amount that it's reserving, it's a bug that needs fixing

It appears it's related to the VRAM (video RAM) running out, not the RAM, then it's offloading resourcing to the RAM. You need to adjust your video settings

So it doesn't matter how much RAM you put in, the game will swallow it until the bug is fixed. But it's not actually using that RAM, it's just allocating it.

Brill Thank you. I Have done what it stated. Updated DLSS, Exploit protection etc etc. I have now set everything to high. Gone to place where the was really bad stutter/lag Before i was getting 30fps. Now in the area where i was getting 30fps. I am now getting 80-90fps. What a difference that as made lol.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Windows 10 and 11 are REALLY good at managing memory. One of the goals of memory management is to use as much RAM as you can - because the CPU can only access code and data that's already in RAM. Keeping as much regularly used stuff in RAM as you can is the best use of this expensive resource. That's what Windows memory management does; it keeps RAM as full as it can - but also manages what's in there.

Now, seeing a peak usage of 28GB in a 32GB system is bad - because you're wasting 4GB of RAM! I'm serious, if Windows isn't filling all your RAM on peak load, then you already have too much RAM. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
@carlos726811 expect the performance of this game to improve over the next 6 months as they iron out some bugs.

Unfortunately it is more and more the case that games pre patch 1.0.0 are actually Beta versions and were being used as live testers.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm getting a generally (99% of the time) smooth 80+ FPS using my 3080Ti on high setting with DLSS Quality and RT-off...but I still get random freezes/stutters for a couple of seconds.

Sometimes it's just a lack of response to controller inputs...so I can see the environment still moving at it's normal FPS, but I can't move or trigger any actions.

Sometimes the whole screen freezes for 1-5 seconds and then just carries on for the next couple of hours as if nothing is wrong.

...and sometimes it will just slow down to a stutter doing less than 1 FPS for 5-10 seconds.

I've DDUd and reinstalled drivers, I've even used NVTrimmer to install just the bare minimum required to support the GPU, and have even had a couple of 'patches' when I've launched Steam (no idea what they were for, but they were less than 200mb each) but nothing has made any significant difference.

Next attempt will be to try this fix (which may or may not be included in the bigger list above)...

Last edited:

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam

I've been meaning to give a few of these fixes a try but it's been a busy weekend. Glad that they seem to work!