Vyper III 17.3 external monitor lag/stutter

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
Hello,

When I use an external monitor in the "second monitor only mode" everything is stuttering. Everything is very laggy and therefore not usable. With everything I mean things like opening an app, minimizing or maximizing it, moving stuff across the screen, scrolling...
When in dGPU only mode (selected in the BIOS) it works fine. This issue occurs whether the laptop is plugged in or not and over usb c as well as over hdmi.

Is anyone having those issues or know how to fix them.

Cheers

Last edited:

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
I get the lag ONLY on MSHybrid. When in IGPU I can't hook up a monitor since both usb c display port and hdmi are connected to the nvidea graphics. When the IGPU is disabled everything works fine. So the "solution" is either disabling the IGPU in device manager or using the dGPU only mode. But in my opinion this should work without disabling the igpu as this "solution" brings other issues.

barlew

Godlike
I get the lag ONLY on MSHybrid. When in IGPU I can't hook up a monitor since both usb c display port and hdmi are connected to the nvidea graphics. When the IGPU is disabled everything works fine. So the "solution" is either disabling the IGPU in device manager or using the dGPU only mode. But in my opinion this should work without disabling the igpu as this "solution" brings other issues.

Right with you. I fully agree it should just work whether in MSHybrid or dGPU. I'll test mine out later and see if I get the same result then ill post back.

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
when you tried:
1. did you connect the monitor after the laptop has already booted up ?
2. did you make sure to use the second monitor only mode ?
3. did you try on battery or plug in ?

barlew

Godlike
when you tried:
1. did you connect the monitor after the laptop has already booted up ?
2. did you make sure to use the second monitor only mode ?
3. did you try on battery or plug in ?

I plugged the monitor in after the laptop had booted.
I made sure the laptop was in second monitor only mode.
I tested on both battery and mains power.

The only performance issue I saw was the usual performance issue when running on battery.

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
I plugged the monitor in after the laptop had booted.
I made sure the laptop was in second monitor only mode.
I tested on both battery and mains power.

The only performance issue I saw was the usual performance issue when running on battery.
ok thanks, well then I don't know...

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
Turns out that this issue is massively spread and has been around for years !
I found countless forums with hundreds of people complaining about this issue.
It occurres in laptops with switchable intel/nvidia graphics.

I don't understand how you are not experiencing this issue. Maybe because we have different GPUs... I assume you have a 2070 super, correct ?

Could you tell me what intel and nvidia driver versions you have installed ? And does your monitor has gsync ? If yes is it enabled in windowed and fullscreen mode in the nvidea control center ?

thanks

barlew

Godlike
Turns out that this issue is massively spread and has been around for years !
I found countless forums with hundreds of people complaining about this issue.
It occurres in laptops with switchable intel/nvidia graphics.

I don't understand how you are not experiencing this issue. Maybe because we have different GPUs... I assume you have a 2070 super, correct ?

Could you tell me what intel and nvidia driver versions you have installed ? And does your monitor has gsync ? If yes is it enabled in windowed and fullscreen mode in the nvidea control center ?

thanks

Oh right fair enough. I cant say I have experienced it in any of my gaming laptops.

Yes I have the 2070 and no I don't have GSync (however my previous laptop did have GSync and that didn't have the issue).

Intel Driver: 26.20.100.7642

Nvidia Driver: 27.21.14.5730 (Nvidia Game Ready Driver 457.30)

Redcloud

Bronze Level Poster
Oh right fair enough. I cant say I have experienced it in any of my gaming laptops.

Yes I have the 2070 and no I don't have GSync (however my previous laptop did have GSync and that didn't have the issue).

Intel Driver: 26.20.100.7642

Nvidia Driver: 27.21.14.5730 (Nvidia Game Ready Driver 457.30)
thanks mate.

well I'll have to use the workaround for now then.