Video card driver crashing

Sgtpanda

Hello,
I bought a computer recently and posted this awhile ago but I thought I had solved the problem however I haven't, the problem is whenever I play games after a seemingly random amount of time the video driver crashes and the message "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." appears in the event viewer. I have already tried a thorough reinstall of the video drivers many times as well as re-installing Direct X. I have a Radeon HD 7870 and while I am playing on high setting it doesn't appear to stress the system, there is no lag, the max temperature is roughly 60 degrees C and the fan speed is about 60% of maximum.

Something that may be related to this problem is that the catalyst control centre detects my graphics card 6 times as shown here in the attached image, this still occurs even when I reinstall the drivers.

Any help appreciated, thanks.

CCC.png

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Have you tried a clean install of the graphics driver.
Try this ,
Click on Start
Open the Control Panel
Select Programs and Features
Select AMD (ATI) Catalyst Install Manager
Click on Change
Click on Next when prompted for the Welcome to the InstallShield Wizard forAMD Catalyst Install Manager,
Select Express Uninstall All Software
Follow the on-screen directions and restart the system when finished
To verify that the graphics driver has been uninstalled, return to the Uninstall or Change a Program list and ensure that there is no AMD specific software listed
If AMD specific software is still listed, remove any remaining AMDsoftware components using the above process and restart the system when complete.
Download latest driver from here.
http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/Pages/index.aspx

Sgtpanda

Hi,
I've tried that but I will try again, however on restarting won't windows automatically re-install some drivers for it? It has done that the previous times unfortunately.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Hi,
I've tried that but I will try again, however on restarting won't windows automatically re-install some drivers for it? It has done that the previous times unfortunately.
It will install basic windows drivers but it shouldn't install any AMD previous drivers if you select "Uninstall All Software"as described above,if it does return to the "Uninstall or Change a Program list" and uninstall any AMD specific software listed until none is left on your computer.You could also try running "driver sweeper"after doing that.

Last edited:

Sgtpanda

Well I did that and it's still detecting it 6 times as before, I'll try a game and see if its worked though.

Sgtpanda

OKay so now that appears to be working however it has created another problem, now whenever I start a game my wireless connection drops, the icon changes from having no connection, to having only a local connection to having a fine connection even though it doesn't. Looking at a signal strength graph I can see whenever I start the game the signal strength goes from 70% to 40% so it's definitely the fault of the adapter as I've even tried using different networks.

Any help appreciated.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Are you saying fixing the graphics problem has caused the wireless connection problem?
can't see that myself.

Sgtpanda

Well no I can't see that happening either, I just wasn't having the problem yesterday but am today, strangely I think booting into safe mode with networking fixes the problem however I can't use that all the time.

paul1224

Well no I can't see that happening either, I just wasn't having the problem yesterday but am today, strangely I think booting into safe mode with networking fixes the problem however I can't use that all the time.

If Safe Mode works then sound slike a software issue but weird how sorting the graphics issue would have then had a knock on affect in this area.

When you go into Control Panel - Device Manager are there any yellow '!' marks showing any issues with the network adapter or in any other area?

May be best to try to update the driver for your network adapter just in case a conflict or bad installation has occured when making the other changes.

Sgtpanda

Already tried that with no luck, have however found something, if I go into the catalyst control centre and force my cards clock speed and power intake down then suddenly my wireless comes back. This seems like an issue with my PSU not giving enough power, would you agree?

paul1224

Already tried that with no luck, have however found something, if I go into the catalyst control centre and force my cards clock speed and power intake down then suddenly my wireless comes back. This seems like an issue with my PSU not giving enough power, would you agree?

I would be surprised if the PSU can't handle it as my understanding is that the PSU you would have brought from PCS and the set-up you chose should have a good % buffer so that it can definately take the load.

Might be worth giving PCS Technical support a call and seeing what they can think of as a solution.

Sgtpanda

Ok, it's just that the fault that I was having with my graphics card also could be caused by a lack of power and AMD say you need a 550W PSU whereas mine is only 425W I think (however according to PCS, AMD etc. overestimate).

paul1224

Ok, it's just that the fault that I was having with my graphics card also could be caused by a lack of power and AMD say you need a 550W PSU whereas mine is only 425W I think (however according to PCS, AMD etc. overestimate).

Definately worth giving PCS a call then for them to check the system and advise from there, lets us know how it goes.

Sgtpanda

Gave them a ring and they've RMA'd my graphics card, so I'll have to replace that, hopefully it will work but I still think it's the PSU, never installed anything in a computer before but it looks simple so I'll have a go.

paul1224

Gave them a ring and they've RMA'd my graphics card, so I'll have to replace that, hopefully it will work but I still think it's the PSU, never installed anything in a computer before but it looks simple so I'll have a go.

Yeah replacing a GPU is pretty easy, most that I have seen are just plug and play really so shouldn't cause you many problems.

Hope it sorts the problem for you.

Sgtpanda

Well I removed it fine and plugged it in, however my TV isnt receiving a signal, it changes from "no connection" to "no input" when I start the PC, and the PC beeps aswell. I've noticed they've sent me a more powerful card than the last one, this one is the Ghz edition and it has two power inputs however my PSU only has one 16-pin, is this why it isn't working? Going to ring tech support again tommorrow.

paul1224

Well I removed it fine and plugged it in, however my TV isnt receiving a signal, it changes from "no connection" to "no input" when I start the PC, and the PC beeps aswell. I've noticed they've sent me a more powerful card than the last one, this one is the Ghz edition and it has two power inputs however my PSU only has one 16-pin, is this why it isn't working? Going to ring tech support again tommorrow.

Definately worth giving them a call, normally a PC will beep once on start up to confirm that the system is fine, are you getting more than just one beep?

The PSU is normally where the mains cable goes in to give the PC the power and your GPU is normally what is connected from your PC to your monitor via DVI, HDMI, etc.

Let us know how it goes.