Video and Audio Editing PC

liverpoolchety__

While the M1's are impressive it's only for entry level builds at the moment, that's why the most powerful machine it's in is the Mac Mini.

They can't compare in anyway to the build @Nursemorph has configured.

Give it a couple of years though, and they'll have much more powerful updated versions in the Mac Pros. I have no doubt that Apple Silicon will vastly overtake any X86 processor within a couple of years. Apparently Microsoft are going to be producing their own ARM based chips shortly as well.

ARM is a completely different design to X86 and is relatively new. It needs FAR FAR less power to achieve the same level of performance. There's absolutely NO WAY that AMD or Intel can compete with what's about to happen in the ARM space with Apple Silicon and Microsofts upcoming chips.

If you look at the clock speeds on the M1 chips, they're set on the MacBook Pro 13" at 3.2GHz BUT ONLY USING ABOUT 35W!!! And they're able to outperform an Intel 10700k which is operating at around 5.2GHz but at about 229W

This is because ARM processors are just leagues apart in how efficient they are. Frequency is not as relevant as IPC (instructions per clock), that's how many instructions the chip is able to process at a given frequency. So if you were to set the M1 silicon and the Intel at 1GHz, the M1 would utterly destroy the Intel (and most AMD processors also).

I've heard Apple already have the M1X processor ready to go, expect an announcement in March on that.

But no, for the next few years, AMD will be king.
Thanks for that reply. Yeah i have watched tons of videos on youtube about the new M1 and all i can say is SHOCK! It is really impressive especially battery life and performance. I can't imagine unplug my laptop and use it for heavy editing or gameplay.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for that reply. Yeah i have watched tons of videos on youtube about the new M1 and all i can say is SHOCK! It is really impressive especially battery life and performance. I can't imagine unplug my laptop and use it for heavy editing or gameplay.
Currently M1's only really compete with Intel at the mobile level.

The Mac Mini is a niche product, while it appears to be for end users as a simple convenient solution, it's main adoption is actually as a singular processing unit in rendering farms like this:

MacStadium-mac-mini-01.png

What wins out is low power consumption, and combining as many as you can to work on massive output programs like data science or rendering workflows.

Once they've got one ready for desktop units like the Mac Pro though where you can fit a high end cooling solution, you're then able to crank up the voltage on the CPU and add more cores (each of which increases heat output requiring much better cooling to keep it stable), then you see peak frequencies sky rocket, and overall performance go through the roof.

Bear in mind also, all the current M1 systems have just had the chassis ported through from the old Intel lineup, no changes whatsoever to the actual design.

Just wait until the purpose build a Mac Pro / Mac Mini / MacBook Pro chassis to actually work best with the new M1 design, now those are the ones to wait for, IMHO they are going to be absolutely incredible.