Usb ports non responsive >>>

Clinton

ORDER NUMBER 346667

new PC arrived today and just my luck to open it after 6pm...

its running Windows 7 and none of the 10 USB ports are responding

i have checked the Trouble shooting and scanned for faults. it prompts "device software was not installed correctly"

i thought these machines where checked b4 theyre shipped out?

how do i fix this problem?

Last edited:

steveuk87

Super Star
have you opened it up and checked its not a loose connection?

also try windows update see if that helps, apologies for your incovenience..

Steve

Clinton

im about to open it now (kinda ****** off that i even have to fo this in the first place)

1 update avalialbe from Microsoft but nothing to do with USB

Last edited by a moderator:

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
What have you tried inserting? To me it sounds like it's the device you're connecting rather than the PC.

Have you tried multiple devices?

PCS

Administrator
Staff member
i thought these machines where checked b4 theyre shipped out?

We use USB drives to flash the BIOS and load drivers during production, in addition to testing the computers, so before they were shipped out they would have been working otherwise it would have been impossible to complete the computer. If they're not working now there must be something causing this. How many different USB devices have you tried to connect? Have you tried the front and rear USB ports? What devices do you have connected to your computer at present?

Clinton

opened it up, everything is in tact

the first thing i tried to plug in was my Freecom 400GB USB drive, no prompt, no joy

then i tried to plug in my Nokia 97 via the USB lead, prompted unable to locate Drivers, tried it again after downloading some Nokia software, no prompt, no joy

finally tried a mini Cable and Wireless memory stick, no prompt,no joy

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
opened it up, everything is in tact

the first thing i tried to plug in was my Freecom 400GB USB drive, no prompt, no joy

then i tried to plug in my Nokia 97 via the USB lead, prompted unable to locate Drivers, tried it again after downloading some Nokia software, no prompt, no joy

finally tried a mini Cable and Wireless memory stick, no prompt,no joy

Well first of all Nokias USB lead cables are notoriously bad for not picking up the phone and the drivers are a pain in the ass.

A quick google search shows that the Freecom device you suggested is also quite bad for not being picked up by Windows.

Do you not have a USB stick or a printer you can try that you have the drivers for?

Clinton

Well first of all Nokias USB lead cables are notoriously bad for not picking up the phone and the drivers are a pain in the ass.

A quick google search shows that the Freecom device you suggested is also quite bad for not being picked up by Windows.

wether they are a pain in the ass or not they still both work A-Ok on my XP system

i have a USB HP printer but im not in the postion to give it a try at the moment

i'll be on the phone in 9 hours from now

HMFC_Riley

Enthusiast
wether they are a pain in the ass or not they still both work A-Ok on my XP system

i have a USB HP printer but im not in the postion to give it a try at the moment

i'll be on the phone in 9 hours from now

Well actually that does make a difference. It may prove to be that it's the software as opposed to the hardware and they may very well have worked fine on XP but that's a different operating system. With different drivers pre-installed. It just strikes me that the 2 devices you've tried I have experience with one being terrible with driver/software on PC's (to the point where I'm quicker uploading things to FTP and redownloading to get the stuff on my PC than trying to get a connection) and the other if you shove into Google the first thing that comes up is again about the drivers for the Freecom drive not working with Vista but works fine on XP. (With Windows 7 being much closer to Vista than it is to XP).

On another note... Do you not have a keyboard and mouse? Aren't they USB? Have you fully updated Windows with the optional updates?

Have you looked in the device manager? Is there anything there with a question or exclamation mark beside them?

Last edited:

Sleinous

Author Level
Yes, dev manager would be my FIRST port of call. Note, if your mobo (I have no idea what it is as you havent posted a single spec of this 'computer') has USB 3.0 those usually wont work until you go on ASUS's support site, select your mobo, ASUS Rampage III in my example below, then select USB 3 drivers. Thats the marvel host controller I think. It may also be that the USB 2 controller isnt installed properly either.

So here goes for my board, how i'd do it. (Again, It'd help if we had some specs....as not everyone can make any use of an order number). As we're not all staff.

asusguide1.png

asusguide2.png

asusguide3.png

asusguide4.png

Direct links if you cant see the images properly:

http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/Sleinous/asusguide1.png
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/Sleinous/asusguide2.png
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/Sleinous/asusguide3.png
http://i174.photobucket.com/albums/w91/Sleinous/asusguide4.png

Last edited:
P

PCRepair

Hi all this has now been fixed with a full clean install of windows :)

P

PCRepair

The USB 3 ports require a different driver to the standard USB driver, and Windows update installs the wrong driver for USB 3.