USB Issues

kam67

Enthusiast
Hi,

I have a slight issue with the USB on my system: devices sometimes have to be reconnected to be recognized; in other instances, i have to disconnect peripheries, in order for others to work. All in all the USB implementation seems a bit flakey.

Should I flash my bios to the latest version (released several days ago by Asus)?

My bios version is 1616.

iBushay

Bronze Level Poster
I would update your bios anyway but not sure that's the problem with the USB.

Sometimes USB problems can occur from problems with windows, try updating your USB drivers to the latest ones aswell and try using the USB device on another computer to rule out the device itself being the problem.

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks, IBushay - I am fairly comfortable with updating chipset, gpu and audio drivers, but when it comes to USB drivers, I am a bit lost. Particularly when there are about 12 different entries under USB in device manager! Any guidance would be much appreciated :)

Also with regards to bios flashing - been a bit scared off by all the horror stories - but might pluck up the courage and give it a go!

I am using the asus pz77 pro/thunderbolt board and have bios 1616 - which is pretty up to date anyway, except for the latest release a few days ago (1701 I think).

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
I assume you mean the P8Z77-V Pro/Thunderbolt?

If so first of all don't worry, motherboards tend to be fairly idiot proof in terms of how easy they are to update (AS LONG AS YOU DON'T TURN THE THING OFF WHILST IT UNDERGOING THE UPDATE PROCESS!..), secondly one of the reasons I love Asus is for there even easier via Windows ASUS AI Suite program approach to doing so. They also have a fantastic website for getting all the info and downloads you need.

So with that said:
1. Go to http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8Z77V_PROTHUNDERBOLT/#download to download and fresh install all the 3 USB drivers.

To do a fresh install you should get a list of the driver names via the provided website then uninstall the driver software by first checking to see if they are in the Uninstall Programs list, and removing any that show up there, then secondly head over to the Device Manager in the Windows Control Panel under Hardware and Settings and uninstall any of the 3 remaining there. Restart your computer and install the driver software downloaded from the Asus website.

The USB devices should again install all/most of those devices that are plugged in as normal.

If this does not work, then you can try upgrading your BIOS.

2. If you want the easiest way to update the bios, I would do it via the ASUS Ai Suite II (available from the ASUS website).
Once downloaded open up the application, select 'update', select 'ASUS Update', select 'Update BIOS from Internet' or what ever method your prefer then click next and follow the instructions.

NOTE: Once you have updated the BIOS and it tells you to do it again, you need to do it again to fully complete the upgrade process.

If you rather do it via USB within the BIOS and not Windows, you can download the upgrade .ROM file via the 'Download Bios From Internet' option in the application or download it from the website.
You then copy it to a USB and use the 'Ez Flash 2' utility within the BIOS to upgrade from it.

More info can be found in the board manual on page 3-43 available again via the download page for your board.
(http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1155/P8Z77-V_PRO_THUNDERBOLT/E7309_P8Z77-V_PRO_THUNDERBOLT.pdf)

:)

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Great, thanks a lot, ReeceN - and yes, sorry I meant the p8z77 pro thunderbolt.

With regards to the USB drivers, how would I uninstall the USB drivers via device manager without losing mouse and keyboard control?

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
No probs.

Well first of all, just try uninstalling the 3 Motherboard USB Drivers which appear on the site, restart your pc then install the drivers from the site.

You will most likely retain usb functionality before you restart as it is when the computer starts that it loads up the new settings, even if not, just quickly push the power button and this should start the windows shutdown.
When it does it will auto-install all needed drivers directly from your components via what is called the Plug and Play functionality within each component, without the need for you to actually do anything.
So by the time you have restarted windows, the standard drivers should either be already re-installed or about to be. Give it a few minutes and if the mouse and keyboard do nothing, simply unplug them and plug them back in, this should do it.
NOTE: When a PC is setup for the first time, you should remember that there is 0 software on the new HDD, so when u install the OS for the first time your keyboard and mouse should obviously be able to work strait away hence Plug and Play.

Secondly, if that did not fix the issue, then try doing the same with your actual USB devices.

However, you should do the BIOS update first as this could be likely the actual issue!

:)

Last edited:

kam67

Enthusiast
Thanks again for your help - as it happens my usb devices have mysteriously started to behave themselves :) But I might flash my bios anyway - as I need to overcome my irrational fears that a bios flash will cause my desktop to explode or burst into flames!

ReeceN

Silver Level Poster
He he I'm sure as long as you flash it using with the appropriate hardware i.e. USB sticks instead of match sticks you should avoid the flames :p

On a side note the BIOS update should improve various minor performance issues you may not have even noticed existed, such as being more compatible with current or possible future hardware. :)