Upgrading GPU 12 Pin

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
My PSU is still buzzing away and I'm going to put in a return for a replacement on Monday,

I waited a little longer due to getting Aliens Fireteam Elite for my Xbox Series X which is coming out on Tuesday and which will pass the time while waiting for the replacement PSU to turn up because i just don't want to have to mess around putting all the older components back in, to only strip them out again in a couple of days when a replacement PSU shows up,

As for the 3080Ti i got, i didn't expect it to be so big and heavy, when i installed it, it was sagging a fair amount...
A Saggy 3080Ti
View attachment 28723

No Sag, thanks to a GPU support brace i got for it...
View attachment 28724
View attachment 28728
View attachment 28725
These pictures can also show the space this GPU has inside a Corsair 680X case to the front fans as well as the GPU support brace/arm.

I also replaced what is known as Pigtail PCIe cables from what was being used on my 2080Ti for three Corsairs Premium Single Connector 6+2 8pin PCIe cables...
View attachment 28726
I appreciate this is a slightly old post, @SpyderTracks I hope you can help with this one.

I'm upgrading to an RTX 4080 which uses the 12VHPWR connector. When uninstalling my GPU, I noticed I had two normal 8pin power connectors and two pigtailed power connectors zip tied away. Are these safe to use as normal do you think? I'm aiming to use the 2 8pins as normal and one of the pigtailed ones to connect to Nvidia's adapter.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I appreciate this is a slightly old post, @SpyderTracks I hope you can help with this one.

I'm upgrading to an RTX 4080 which uses the 12VHPWR connector. When uninstalling my GPU, I noticed I had two normal 8pin power connectors and two pigtailed power connectors zip tied away. Are these safe to use as normal do you think? I'm aiming to use the 2 8pins as normal and one of the pigtailed ones to connect to Nvidia's adapter.

Any help and advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
I think on the RTX 4080 and 4090 because of the sheer power they draw, I would be wanting separate power cables for each 8 Pin.

But the question is, what PSU do you currently have? Be aware of transient spikes that are a pretty hefty feature of modern GPU's

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
I think on the RTX 4080 and 4090 because of the sheer power they draw, I would be wanting separate power cables for each 8 Pin.

But the question is, what PSU do you currently have? Be aware of transient spikes that are a pretty hefty feature of modern GPU's

I'm using the Corsair RM850x in my rig. Is it as simple as ordering a separate 8pin PCI-E cable from Corsair's website or something?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm using the Corsair RM850x in my rig. Is it as simple as ordering a separate 8pin PCI-E cable from Corsair's website or something?
Shouldn't need to, you should have received spares in your welcome box.

You should be ok with 850W, certainly try it but if you get any cut outs or BSODs, the PSU being underpowered (because of transient spikes) may be the area to look at.

But definitely try it with the 850w first off.

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
Shouldn't need to, you should have received spares in your welcome box.

You should be ok with 850W, certainly try it but if you get any cut outs or BSODs, the PSU being underpowered (because of transient spikes) may be the area to look at.

But definitely try it with the 850w first off.
Thanks for the advice, I'll double check my welcome box in the morning. Think I'd rather be safe than sorry. See if I can get 3 separate connections going to the 12VHPWR adapter.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks for the advice, I'll double check my welcome box in the morning. Think I'd rather be safe than sorry. See if I can get 3 separate connections going to the 12VHPWR adapter.
It's worth it, it's not essential by any means, if you can get 2 individual cables with one additional 6+2 PIN off the splitter, that would be fine, but 3 separate cables is optimal.

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
None of these cables seem to be a match from my welcome box @SpyderTracks . I'm right in thinking I can't use the CPU cable for power related reasons?

Attachments

• 1669189927973.jpg
    1669189927973.jpg
    587 KB · Views: 90

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY 2 LIGHT TEMPERED GLASS
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700KF (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB ASUS TUF GAMING GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language

I should note I've since added two extra sticks of RAM making up 32GB in total

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Case
FRACTAL MESHIFY 2 LIGHT TEMPERED GLASS
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i7 12-Core Processor i7-12700KF (3.6GHz) 25MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING Z690-PLUS WIFI D4 (LGA1700, USB 3.2, PCIe 5.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
10GB ASUS TUF GAMING GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st M.2 SSD Drive
500GB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3200MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H100x Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Operating System Language

I should note I've since added two extra sticks of RAM making up 32GB in total
That PSU comes with 4 x PCIe 6+2 cables

1669191940489.png

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
These are the two single cables (with pigtailed 8 pins) that's available to me. There aren't any additional ones in the welcome box I received, should I have received two additional ones?

Sorry for being a pain about this.

Attachments

• 16691923569217141071941681193166.jpg
    16691923569217141071941681193166.jpg
    816.3 KB · Views: 99

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
Whoops, I was mistakenly looking at the RX1000x that has 4 x 6+2 connectors.

The 850W has 3 x 6+2

View attachment 35285
I'm looking around (Reddit & LinusTechTips forums etc) and people are saying the 2021 model only comes with 2, so an additional one would need to be bought. Do you know if it's a type 3 or 4 pcie cable that I need? Corsair's website isn't really helpful for me.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I'm looking around (Reddit & LinusTechTips forums etc) and people are saying the 2021 model only comes with 2, so an additional one would need to be bought. Do you know if it's a type 3 or 4 pcie cable that I need? Corsair's website isn't really helpful for me.
There's zero chance it would only come with 2 as modern top spec GPU's require 4 which is what that PSU is designed for.

No way it would ever come with only 2, that would be an entry level model, not the RMx

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
I'll be honest, I'm really confused now.

What I've got (from PSU to GPU) is two sleeved cables. Both have two 8pin connections, but it's via a pigtail connection as I showed on the image before. So I do have four connections technically, but only two are independent and the other two are daisy chained from the cable itself.
My query was if it was alright to use one of these as I've circled on the image or if it would be best to use a third singular cable (which I wasn't supplied with in my welcome box that's labeled PCI-E). But we came to the conclusion a third would be best but not essential. I've messaged PCS to see if they can provide the additional two that would have been provided or have I misunderstood somewhere?

Attachments

• 16691923569217141071941681193166~2.jpg
    16691923569217141071941681193166~2.jpg
    741.5 KB · Views: 107

NoverianSnowCone

Bronze Level Poster
I'll be honest, I'm really confused now.

What I've got (from PSU to GPU) is two sleeved cables. Both have two 8pin connections, but it's via a pigtail connection as I showed on the image before. So I do have four connections technically, but only two are independent and the other two are daisy chained from the cable itself.
My query was if it was alright to use one of these as I've circled on the image or if it would be best to use a third singular cable (which I wasn't supplied with in my welcome box that's labeled PCI-E). But we came to the conclusion a third would be best but not essential. I've messaged PCS to see if they can provide the additional two that would have been provided or have I misunderstood somewhere?
I do have another sleeved cable in the welcome box that's labeled CPU but I don't think I can use that, the rest seem SATA related as I showed originally.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes. Those are common on PSU's to have daisychains.

Best practice is to use individual PCIe cables from the PSU to each connector on the GPU, any builder will tell you that.

That PSU comes with 3 individual PCIe cables.
I've messaged PCS to see if they can provide the additional two that would have been provided or have I misunderstood somewhere?
Just an additional one as above not two.

As already said, you can use a daisy chain for one of the connectors on the 3080. Any higher than that and you'd need individual cables.

It's worth it, it's not essential by any means, if you can get 2 individual cables with one additional 6+2 PIN off the splitter, that would be fine, but 3 separate cables is optimal.