Upgrade or buy a new Build.

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Hi All. This is my Old Gaming rig i bought in 2018. I Sold it to my mate. When i bought a new System.
At the moment he is using a 1080 144hz Monitor. But he wanting to upgrade monitor to a 1440 144hz. He wants to know. Is it worth upgrading the pc aswell or better of buying a complete new system. Specs Below.

CaseGAME MAX FALCON BLACK GAMING CASE (RGB LED)
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-7700k (4.2GHz) 8MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® PRIME Z270-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.0, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2133MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card8GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1070 Ti - DVI, HDMI, 3 x DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st Storage Drive1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD - UP TO 5X FASTER THAN HDD!
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 250GB Samsung 850 2.5" EVO SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 540MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage DriveNONE
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 3.5" SSHD
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive24x DUAL LAYER DVD WRITER ±R/±RW/RAM
Power SupplyCORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingSuper Quiet Titan DragonFly Heatpipe Intel CPU Cooler
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemGenuine Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc DVD & Single Licence
down_right_arrow.gif
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 (64-bit) DVD with paper sleeve
Office SoftwareNO OFFICE SOFTWARE
Anti-VirusNO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
BrowserGoogle Chrome™
Warranty3 Year Standard Warranty (1 Month Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
DeliverySTANDARD INSURED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND (MON-FRI)
Build TimeStandard Build - Approximately 6 to 8 working days

polycrac

Rising Star
The 1070 TI is a decent card, even for 1440p but if you find compromising on some settings an issue (or want to get onto the ray-tracing bandwagon) the 650w PSU should give you room to upgrade the card.

Is the PC struggling with anything? I'm always looking at a new build but have to keep reminding myself that the current one works fine. It could ALWAYS be replaced with something better, but if it's not frustrating you by being noticeably slow, I'd hang on. New releases of CPUs and GPUs are on the horizon and, even if you don't go for those, they'll make the last generation more affordable.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As above, that system should be maxxing 1080p with no problems, the only thing upgrading the GPU would improve would be to add ray tracing, but I would definitely hold til next gen to do anything related to that.