Turning off motherboard RGB after shutdown/RGB control on Masterbox TD500

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Hi there.

Yesterday I received my new PC but after shutting down and turning out the lights to go to bed realised that the RGB was still on inside. I have an ASUS Rog Strix B550-F and have had iCUE set up and preinstalled for me, though there doesn't seem to be an option to turn it off after shutdown. I noticed the RGB on the motherboard and RAM sticks remained on after putting it into sleep mode too.

I had a look online and people have recommended to change some settings in the BIOS but before I do I want to make sure there isn't an easier way through iCUE first. There are options specifically for shutdown in ASUS' own Armoury Crate program but I don't seem to have this installed and I'm not sure if by installing it it'll conflict with iCUE.

I'm also having a slight issue with the RGB on the front case fans themselves. I have a CoolerMaster Masterbox TD500 with 3 preinstalled front fans but I'm not entirely sure how to actually change these. I don't seem to have an RGB controller on the inside of my PC and the only devices connected through iCUE are the motherboard, CPU cooler and RAM. They're set on a loop which is fine but sometimes the colour will get stuck or not light up at all. I just want to make sure that they're working okay.

My specs are:
  • Case: COOLERMASTER MASTERBOX TD500 MESH ARGB GAMING CASE
  • Processor (CPU): AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Eight Core CPU (3.4GHz-4.5GHz/100MB CACHE/AM4)
  • Motherboard: ASUS® ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (DDR4, USB 3.2, 6Gb/s) - ARGB Ready!
  • Memory (RAM): 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
  • Graphics Card: 10GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3080 - HDMI, DP, LHR
  • 1st M.2 SSD Drive: 500GB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 6900MB/R, 5000MB/W)
  • 2nd M.2 SSD Drive: 2TB SAMSUNG 980 PRO M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 7000MB/R, 5000MB/W)
  • Power Supply: CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
  • Processor Cooling: Corsair iCUE H150i ELITE RGB High Performance CPU Cooler
  • Operating System: Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00003]
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
In the UEFI BIOS, there's 4 settings for Aura. If you press [F4] on the home page you'll see something like:
  1. All on = All lights on the motherboard are on, i.e. RGB and the status/power lights.
  2. Stealth mode = All lights are off, all of the time.
  3. Aura only = only RGB lights are on, power/status lights are off.
  4. Aura off = RGB lights are off, power/status lights are on.
There's also a second set of settings, which control WHEN these Aura options trigger, under [Onboard Device Configuration] [RGB Lighting]:
  • When system is in working state
This item allows you to turn the RGB LED lighting on or off when the system is in the working state.​
Configuration options: [All On] [Stealth] [Aura Only] [Aura Off]​

• When system is in sleep, hibernate or soft off states
This item allows you to turn the RGB LED lighting on or off when the system is in the sleep, hibernate or soft off states.​

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm also having a slight issue with the RGB on the front case fans themselves. I have a CoolerMaster Masterbox TD500 with 3 preinstalled front fans but I'm not entirely sure how to actually change these.
These are probably connected to ARGB header on motherboard, so you’ll need to install Crate to change the colours.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Hiya

I believe you can set the RGB to fully disable on shutdown in Armory Crate, there's a quick guide on it here

You can install Armory Crate from here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/ArmouryCrateInstallTool.zip
Thanks, do you know if Crate is compatible with iCUE though?
In the UEFI BIOS, there's 4 settings for Aura. If you press [F4] on the home page you'll see something like:
  1. All on = All lights on the motherboard are on, i.e. RGB and the status/power lights.
There's also a second set of settings, which control WHEN these Aura options trigger, under [Onboard Device Configuration] [RGB Lighting]:
This item allows you to turn the RGB LED lighting on or off when the system is in the working state.​

This item allows you to turn the RGB LED lighting on or off when the system is in the sleep, hibernate or soft off states.​
I'll check those out, thanks.
These are probably connected to ARGB header on motherboard, so you’ll need to install Crate to change the colours.
Thanks, will do.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Hiya

I believe you can set the RGB to fully disable on shutdown in Armory Crate, there's a quick guide on it here

You can install Armory Crate from here: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/14Utilities/ArmouryCrateInstallTool.zip
Having isssues with Armoury Crate sadly. Earlier I noticed that I had the folder Armoury Crate Lite Service in ASUS under Program Files, yet I don't seem to have the option to open it anywhere. Searching for it produces zero results. When installing it from the launcher, it just hangs. There's an uninstaller for Armoury Crate in the above mentioned folder but it does nothing. I thought maybe the conflicting Armoury Crate files were conflicting with the installer.

I'm a little stumped now.

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yeah, I faced similar issues when starting out with my own build around this time last year (I've the same case, motherboard and a Corsair AIO too). Tried to integrate iCUE with Crate to try and only have one application to manage all RGB but it never worked as it should. And having iCUE and Crate running at the same time seemed to cause issues as well. In the end I replaced the case fans with Corsair ones so I could just run all fan RGB using iCUE. And more recently I've ditched iCUE and use OpenRGB to control fans and motherboard RGB.

sean16

Bronze Level Poster
Yeah, I faced similar issues when starting out with my own build around this time last year (I've the same case, motherboard and a Corsair AIO too). Tried to integrate iCUE with Crate to try and only have one application to manage all RGB but it never worked as it should. And having iCUE and Crate running at the same time seemed to cause issues as well. In the end I replaced the case fans with Corsair ones so I could just run all fan RGB using iCUE. And more recently I've ditched iCUE and use OpenRGB to control fans and motherboard RGB.
Ah that sucks. I'm getting a lot of noise from the front fans so was thinking of possibly replacing them at some point. I'm not sure if they're just set to high or something, part of the reason why I want into Armoury Crate to check. I'll have a look at OPenRGB, thanks.

Unfortunately this doesn't seem to work for me. Any changes made revert back once my PC reboots. It's weird because before exiting BIOS it asks me to confirm my changes.