Total confusion

Nidge

Ok so i have practically built my pc on here with the help of a couple of friemds the only thing confusing me is the Processor.

One friend tels me to get the IIntel® Core™i5-680 Dual Core (3.60GHz, 4MB Cache) + HD Graphics.

the other says to get Intel® Core™i7-880 Quad Core (3.06GHz, 8MB Cache)

whats the difference between these 2? and what would it mean to my pc?

i know im a total dweeblet but any help is appreciated :D

steveuk87

Super Star
the Quad core means there are are 4 cores working at once which means more things can be done simultaniously whereas the Dual core only has 2.. At the moment the top end games only utilize 2 cores, but with the way technology is heading and the gaming industry (and its money spinning ways) pushes ahead it wont be long till Quad cores anre fully needed.

Steve

Nidge

ahh right i get it..kinda..in my own way ha now all i gotta figure out is...which one is best for me :p

thanks for the reply steve your like a real life legend :p

Sleinous

Author Level
Basically what Steve said. It's already been leaked that Microsoft is working on 128bit OS already, (which will utilise 4 cores obviously). 64 bit will utilise 2 cores, 32 bit, 1 core :) Simples.

steveuk87

Super Star
i dont mind Nidge :) nethin else just let me know :)

n sleinous i dont mind that either i got my Hex core :p

Steve

PaulH

Bright Spark
Also the i5 is a dual core but also has hyperthreading, equating to 4 cores as well as built in graphics for selected motherboards, the i7 is a quad core with 4 threads so equivalent of 8 cores.

The i5 is cracking processor for a mid range desktop as you dont have to buy a graphics card (just dont expect to be playing games on full whack settings) but is a great all in one soloution for a cheap desktop for general use.

I7 is the best processor on the market at the moment :)