Thinking of getting a bike? Anyone have experience?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
I've been driving for 2 years now, my insurance on my Punto is now going to be relatively cheap at the renewal price of £475 and I have no real issues being able to afford it anymore as my job is a fairly good salary for a 20 year old. The thing is I've been looked for a new car for about a year now and I've been through every option possible, i.e, finding a slightly better banger for £1000-£1500, getting a £5k loan over 2 years, getting a new car on 0% finance. Basically nothing's working.

I split up with my long distance girlfriend about a month ago so I don't really have much need to travel up and down the motorway fortnightly which has relieved some of the pressure of upgrading. I'm still going to need something in the near future as my punto is a bit shaky in windy weather and it's a bit of a wrestle but it'll do for now. I'm also still considering going back to college/uni so don't want to make any long-term commitments with finance or anything.

So basically I've been looking into bikes, my commute to work is 5 miles each way, mostly down normal 60mph A and B roads although the last mile or so is down thin 30mph country lanes. I'm quite frequently having to force myself into bushes to avoid tractors/lorries which isn't a problem in my Punto but if I do get a newer car then I'm going to be a lot more conscious about it. I'm thinking a bike could be a ideal and I really don't think I'll come across many 'bike-killers' on my daily commute.

So my questions are:

1) Does anybody here ride? Do you recommend it?
2) Is the insurance/tax/petrol much cheaper than a car?
3) Is it really as dangerous as they say? I've read that the sensation of speed is much greater, etc.. And I assume it's only really as dangerous as you make it yourself? If you're weaving in and out of traffic at 90mph then what do you expect?
4) Where do I start? From what I've read I just need a bike provisional license, then take my CBT test and then take tests depending on the cc of bike I want?
5) What sort of starter bikes would I be looking at (so I can get an idea of costs, etc)? I think I read it can be no more than 125cc to start with? Is there much chance of me finding something that actual looks like a bike in this engine range or is it going to be more of a scooter/dirt bike type thing.
6) Is it a hindrance always having to lug around a helmet/protective gear, etc? I anticipate only needing it for work at the moment but I'd want to use it as much as possible still. Or should biking be seen more as a hobby when the weather is nice and use the car for the rest of it?
7) And finally, how difficult is it? I'm a very observant car driver and tend to pay attention to everything going on around me. I'm just slightly worried at the gear changing method and also whether I'm slightly on the small size for a bike. I'm only 5"8'ish and I assume there are bikes that would fit me (heck, Richard Hammond does it!), but still, I'd like your input. I definitely wouldn't be your typical 'biker' build-wise.

So yea, sorry to ask so many questions, if anybody could even answer a few that'd be great.

Thanks guys :)

YAMAHA

Gold Level Poster
What sort of budget are you looking at for the new bike?

I do recommend riding a bike but then I may be biased :whistling:

It IS as dangerous as they say, I dont doubt my own ability and I don`t ride like a maniac, it`s other people you need to keep both eyes on, they can do some very silly things.

If you have a good motorcycle shop near you, pop in and have a chat, most will give you all the advice you need as a new rider,

bigben

Master Poster
I don't ride but have wanted to since I was about 12 (and various members of my family are bikers)... I have done the research but have been waiting to save a bit of money/get a bit older before I do it.

it`s other people you need to keep both eyes on, they can do some very silly things.

I agree with this, I get enough people cutting out in front of me when I'm going 50mph in a car, let alone on a small bike. I have nearly been knocked off my bicycle several times because people don't see you - even when you are a 6'4" rugby player wearing a high viz... My brother has been knocked off of his motorbike twice because other people don't look properly.

2) Is the insurance/tax/petrol much cheaper than a car?
Insurance for the first year or 2 will probably be expensive, but my brothers insurance on a Suzuki GSX 1400 (bigger engine than my car...) is only about £100.

4) Where do I start? From what I've read I just need a bike provisional license, then take my CBT test and then take tests depending on the cc of bike I want?
First of all you need the CBT to allow you on the road. Then I understand that you will be able to take a test that allows you to ride up to a certain amount of horsepower (not CC). Then when you are 21 or have ridden for 2 years (whichever comes first) you can take another test to allow you to ride what you want.
As an alternative you can wait til you're 21 and take a "direct access", which allows you to ride what you want straight away.

5) What sort of starter bikes would I be looking at (so I can get an idea of costs, etc)? I think I read it can be no more than 125cc to start with? Is there much chance of me finding something that actual looks like a bike in this engine range or is it going to be more of a scooter/dirt bike type thing.
Like I said before, the licence will restrict you to a certain amount of horses. You can get a restrictor put on more powerful bikes if you wish to get something that looks good - although insurance will be more expensive than if you get something naff.

6) Is it a hindrance always having to lug around a helmet/protective gear, etc? I anticipate only needing it for work at the moment but I'd want to use it as much as possible still. Or should biking be seen more as a hobby when the weather is nice and use the car for the rest of it?
You could get one of those boxes on the back. My friends Dad only rides a bike and used to pick him up from school with all of his school bags etc on it.

I'm just slightly worried at the gear changing method
I haven't ridden on the road but I have messed about with an old banger on private land and the gears were easy. Took about 5 mins to get used to and after that it was fine.

Last edited:

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Right guys well I've looked into it a bit more and seem a bit more confident about my options. Seems that with the new license laws once I take my CBT I can either ride a 125 on L plates for up to 2 years or I can take my A2 test which will allow me to ride anything up to 46bhp or restrict something to 46bhp providing the original output is no more than double that.

My main query now is do I try and do my A2 straight away on an intensive course and ride something like a 400cc straight away or do I fart about with the whole 125 route? My friend is trying to flog his Kawasacki ZXR400 which I'm tempted by :p Quick insurance quote showed that it should only be £400ish to insure for the first year as well, not bad for the bike really!

mitchell65

Gold Level Poster
I've been driving for over 53 years and I think the days of motor cycling on our roads is finished. It has aways been more dangerous to drive a motor cycle than a car, but on todays roads I think it is suicidal! I know the A and B roads in your locality, just look at the statistics for RTA's! You say you are just 20 years old. Stick with a car till you are 30 and look at your options then. I doubt you will go for a bike.
Of course, I am an old fogey when it comes to this sort of subject!

bigben

Master Poster
Right guys well I've looked into it a bit more and seem a bit more confident about my options. Seems that with the new license laws once I take my CBT I can either ride a 125 on L plates for up to 2 years or I can take my A2 test which will allow me to ride anything up to 46bhp or restrict something to 46bhp providing the original output is no more than double that.

My main query now is do I try and do my A2 straight away on an intensive course and ride something like a 400cc straight away or do I fart about with the whole 125 route? My friend is trying to flog his Kawasacki ZXR400 which I'm tempted by :p Quick insurance quote showed that it should only be £400ish to insure for the first year as well, not bad for the bike really!

Again with my brother, he did the A2 and got one of these (Suzuki Bandit 600), it's a nice bike and his Mrs rides it now (but with a load of girly mods like gold handlebars and brake and clutch levers etc)...

The only issue I see with your mates bike is that I'm guessing he's the same age as you, and I know if I was riding that I would be ragging it everywhere. Why is he selling it?

Grimezy

Prolific Poster
Again with my brother, he did the A2 and got one of these (Suzuki Bandit 600), it's a nice bike and his Mrs rides it now (but with a load of girly mods like gold handlebars and brake and clutch levers etc)...

The only issue I see with your mates bike is that I'm guessing he's the same age as you, and I know if I was riding that I would be ragging it everywhere. Why is he selling it?

Nah he's not the same age, he's 28 whereas I'm 20. He's owned it with his dad for 3 or 4 years and has like 3 others bikes at home, his main one being a Suzuki GSXR750. They bought it because they both like old sports bikes and it's barely been ridden to be fair. He said he came off it once but only caused cosmetic damage and he did say he accidently got up to 130 on a road which he really wasn't trying to but other than that I don't think it's really been ragged. Plus I think all bikes have been ragged in some sense! He's only selling it because he doesn't use it anymore so I dunno.

I have been looking a bit more and think I should probably get a 125 of some sort to get more experience.. I just can't help but feel if I ride a 125 for a year before I take my A2 then I'll pick up a ton of bad habits within that time. I know I did with my car...

Androcles

Rising Star

Currently as the law stands (at least at the time of my last CBT it was) you can ride up to a 125cc motorcycle for with just a provisional license and a CBT certificate, that certificate lasts 2yrs (costs roughly £120) at which point you need to renew it, if you have a full license you can take the CBT once and ride up to a 49cc motrocycle without having to take the CBT again.

HOWEVER... Sometime in the next couple of years they are changing the CBT laws because they are finding that people are taking advantage and not really learning to ride. The CBT will only last one year whatever bike you ride and whataver type of license you have, once the year is up you will not be able to take the CBT again for a further 3 months.

So if you're goijng to putter around on a 125cc using just a CBT to get used to it, just bare the above in mind as you may end up having to wait longer than you want before going for the A2 if you leave it too late.

Last edited: