Starfield to PS5?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
A bit surprised by this but also makes sense to take advantage of PlayStation!

Xbox this generation have completely lost out to PlayStation. If they don’t do this, they’ll also lose out on the game sales. At least this way they can maximise the software revenue.

AccidentalDenz

Lord of Steam
Xbox this generation have completely lost out to PlayStation. If they don’t do this, they’ll also lose out on the game sales. At least this way they can maximise the software revenue.

Given how often senior Microsoft execs talk about how they perceive it being more important that people play the games they want on the platform they want whether that be on Xbox or PC or elsewhere and variations on that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they perhaps bowed out of consoles as per the first link and maybe went down the Sega route.

I don't think Microsoft have been properly competitive with Sony since the Xbox 360 - the current Series S/X thing is a bit of a mess as the series S is pretty much underpowered current gen hardware offering last gen performance and so is impacting on Microsoft first party titles and cross platform games.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Given how often senior Microsoft execs talk about how they perceive it being more important that people play the games they want on the platform they want whether that be on Xbox or PC or elsewhere and variations on that, I wouldn't be at all surprised if they perhaps bowed out of consoles as per the first link and maybe went down the Sega route.

I don't think Microsoft have been properly competitive with Sony since the Xbox 360 - the current Series S/X thing is a bit of a mess as the series S is pretty much underpowered current gen hardware offering last gen performance and so is impacting on Microsoft first party titles and cross platform games.
I also think they’ll concentrate more on streaming games on XBox cloud.

The push to move to cloud based services is Microsoft’s raison d’etre.

Subscription models pay far more over the long term, gives them far easier control over supported systems so they can dictate games in their library and drop any that aren’t getting the revenue required.

The Netflix model has been hugely successful and all Microsoft’s services (including windows) are heading that way.

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Microsoft have not been that consistent with their consoles over the years, even going back to the red ring of death on xbox 360s which impacted quite a few devices, and the original xbox early editions were prone to leaking capacitors. Once the majority of people have high speed reliable internet my guess is thats when gaming in general will be online streaming only.