SSD Size: 4GB, 8GB? M.2 vs SATA

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Interesting to see up to 8GB in a single SSD nowadays. I've only seen that as the primary option on a 17.3" Elimina. What is it that determines which chassis can take these? Is it just physical size?

Seems super slow though. "Up to 560MB/sR" versus "Up to 3500MB/sR" for an Intel SSD on another model, or indeed in another slot on this machine.

So, it's because it's SATA rather than M.2? I must admit these SSDs are something of a new thing to me. Never had one.

Would it be possible to set up an Elimina that uses a fast M2 SSD in the "1st M.2 SSD Drive" slot as the boot device, maybe a 250GB Samsung Evo Plus, and have a large slow SATA SSD in the "1st Storage Drive" slot, say a 4TB Samsung 870 QVO?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Would it be possible to set up an Elimina that uses a fast M2 SSD in the "1st M.2 SSD Drive" slot as the boot device, maybe a 250GB Samsung Evo Plus, and have a large slow SATA SSD in the "1st Storage Drive" slot, say a 4TB Samsung 870 QVO?

Absolutely!

M.2 drives (especially NVMe) are the way to go these days if budget allows. On the Elimina you could potentially have a 500GB Samsung M.2 for your OS and programs, and then a 4TB Corsair M.2 for general but FAST storage. It'd be pointless if you were only using it to store music, pictures and videos but for gamers, editors, designers and producers it's an absolute boon.

KriSta

Silver Level Poster
But 4 and 8 TB NVMe are still quite expensive compared to regular hard drives of the same size ( non SSD`s ) . Especially 8TB . Better to have external storage than pay extra for NVMe for static storage.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
I'm not into external storage. I like to have everything right there all the time. I suppose I might try breaking my habits and getting a decent external drive, maybe one of those 4-bay JBOD thingies.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Oh nice, when I click "Proceed" it asks me if I want to install the OS on the M.2 or the other SSD. Not that I'm proceeding just yet. My 7.5 year old dinosaur is away being serviced, I think I can squeeze a little more life out of it. Waiting for a Clevo with Ryzen and the right component combination.

PhilHibbs

Bronze Level Poster
Oh, the Elimina has been eliminated! It's no longer there as an option. Could that be the end for SATA SSDs?

Actually, I'm wrong, the Optimus XI can take a SATA SSD. It's very limited in other ways, though, GTX rather than RTX.

Looks like time may be running out for SATA though!

Last edited:

JUNI0R

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Interesting test of SSD performance, M.2 vs SATA
This is a video I like to reference a lot. It effectively shows in games, there really isn't all that much difference between SATA and M.2 when it comes to game load times so if you're on a really penny pinching budget, there's nothing wrong with going SATA SSD at all