Sound not working

ricardian

I bought a new PC which arrived at the weekend. When I ordered it I was going to Windows 7 but have changed my mind and loaded Windows 8.1. It works fine except for the sound, plugging headphones in the front there is no audio output.

steaky360

Have you got a dedicated soundcard? Or onboard sound only? Does the ports on the back work for sound?

It could be that the headers to connect the ports on the front to the soundcard or motherboard are not connected. If you take a look you should be able to see the cables coming from the front and connected to wither your motherboard (if you do NOT have a dedicated sound card) or to the soundcard. If you can find them, check to ensure they are properly seated, remove them and re-seat them if required. Then try again.

steaky360

The PC I bought has "ONBOARD 8 CHANNEL (7.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)". Will check the connections

Right, well that means stuff should be connected to the motherboard - another thing to check would be to ensure the volume is turned up (not trying to be sarcastic, sometimes its the simple things :))

Do you have speakers attached to the PC normally? If so, when you plug your headphones in does the sound stop (as it should when you plug headphones in).

ricardian

Have you got a dedicated soundcard? Or onboard sound only? Does the ports on the back work for sound?

It could be that the headers to connect the ports on the front to the soundcard or motherboard are not connected. If you take a look you should be able to see the cables coming from the front and connected to wither your motherboard (if you do NOT have a dedicated sound card) or to the soundcard. If you can find them, check to ensure they are properly seated, remove them and re-seat them if required. Then try again.

Purchased an Audigy Rx Soundblaster and installed it this morning. All drivers loaded etc but still no sound.