So my new pc is hopefully arriving tomorrow, what are some things I should do when I get it..

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
My pc is after arriving with a disc for my motherboard Im gonna assume I don't need to touch that?
Never use any included disc, they're always out of date, you always download things from websites for the latest version, but if you ordered with windows it will come fully configured, just run windows updates as a first port of call.

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster
Never use any included disc, they're always out of date, you always download things from websites for the latest version, but if you ordered with windows it will come fully configured, just run as a first port of call.
Should I have an internet connection when I use it first heard that you shouldn't but that was a whirl ago

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Should I have an internet connection when I use it first heard that you shouldn't but that was a whirl ago
Windows can be annoying about asking you to create an account when your first setting it up while connected to the internet.

I prefer to first power the machine up without internet and go through set up without all the invasive questions but it's all personal preference

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Windows can be annoying about asking you to create an account when your first setting it up while connected to the internet.

I prefer to first power the machine up without internet and go through set up without all the invasive questions but it's all personal preference
That would create a local account, rather than using a microsoft account for login.

Pros and cons to each.

The first stage of windows setup it will ask you to join a wireless network, or use the LAN connection if you're plugged in.

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster

Is the invasive questions just about privacy or does it download more bloatware when connected

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Is the invasive questions just about privacy or does it download more bloatware when connected
They’re not invasive, it gives you options to set or disable data collection. I just turn them all to off, depends if you use cortana or other things.

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster
when I open the start menu this shows up
1616680707998.png
any idea why it says by pcs?