So my new pc is hopefully arriving tomorrow, what are some things I should do when I get it..

Steveyg

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Install the latest GPU drivers, then download and install every Windows Update available including the optional updates until there are none left to install.

Yeah it's a pain and boring first few hours of having a new machine but it's what you really should do

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Handy tips on this here thread...

D

Deleted member 17413

Stand in the driveway so you can meet the driver as he arrives (DPD app will track driver drop by drop (just refresh regularly when near you).
Video the whole unboxing and setting your desk up.
Post it all here from your new PC once youve done everything @AgentCooper just linked you.

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster
Stand in the driveway so you can meet the driver as he arrives (DPD app will track driver drop by drop (just refresh regularly when near you).
Video the whole unboxing and setting your desk up.
Post it all here from your new PC once youve done everything @AgentCooper just linked you.
Yeah I'll make sure to take some pictures of the pc when it arrives, one thing I've noticed in the thread is people like to reinstall windows is there a reason for this or?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Yeah I'll make sure to take some pictures of the pc when it arrives, one thing I've noticed in the thread is people like to reinstall windows is there a reason for this or?
Some people (@Scott is one) like to do a complete clean install when it arrives, even if they order a fresh copy of Windows with their system. This way they can be sure they’re starting with a clean slate with no bloat.

I personally didn’t bother when I got mine and have had no problems, just uninstalled the things I knew I didn’t want and have had no problems. I’ll only do a clean install when the big Windows updates come round 🙂👍

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster
Install the latest GPU drivers, then download and install every Windows Update available including the optional updates until there are none left to install.

Yeah it's a pain and boring first few hours of having a new machine but it's what you really should do
Is it just them two things I have too update, any idea what the size of them is like?

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster
Some people (@Scott is one) like to do a complete clean install when it arrives, even if they order a fresh copy of Windows with their system. This way they can be sure they’re starting with a clean slate with no bloat.

I personally didn’t bother when I got mine and have had no problems, just uninstalled the things I knew I didn’t want and have had no problems. I’ll only do a clean install when the big Windows updates come round 🙂👍
Ah right are the programs easy to uninstall that you don't want

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
Ah right are the programs easy to uninstall that you don't want
Yep, the only two I think I needed to wipe were Chrome and the free trial of Microsoft Office. If yours comes with the trial version of BullGuard make sure you get rid of that too as it is utter rubbish and should be terminated with extreme prejudice. Just go to the control panel, find the offending programs, right click and uninstall 👍

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster
Yep, the only two I think I needed to wipe were Chrome and the free trial of Microsoft Office. If yours comes with the trial version of BullGuard make sure you get rid of that too as it is utter rubbish and should be terminated with extreme prejudice. Just go to the control panel, find the offending programs, right click and uninstall 👍
Can I ask why you don't use chrome is it not ideal?

AgentCooper

At Least I Have Chicken
My favourite subject, ‘why I hate Chrome’.

It is well documented for being unduly memory intensive, causing high CPU usage, and worst of all, it’s insidious and will track all your movements.

AgentCooper don’t dig on that 🤨

D

Deleted member 41971

It is well documented for being unduly memory intensive, causing high CPU usage, and worst of all, it’s insidious and will track all your movements.

like this :rolleyes:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR

I didn't clean install either of mine even when 20H2 came alo0ng, both going great

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster

Ah which browser do you use then?

MoonIsB

Silver Level Poster
My pc is after arriving with a disc for my motherboard Im gonna assume I don't need to touch that?