SFC Scannow Now Corrupt File Issues

paul1224

Hi

I have had a slight issue for a while now and wondered what peoples thoughts were on it and any further action I could take or if it was necessary.

I regularly do scans on my PC and one scan I do weekly is the sfc scannow now to check for any corrupt files. Ever since I had a new motherboard installed and had to reinstall Windows (Vista) every time I run this scan it says that it has found corrupt files and successfully repaired them.

However every single week it says the same thing which leads me to assume that these corrupt files are just recurring every time after they are 'repaired'. My PC is quite old but runs fine with no issues, I don't have any issues with my PC or errors or anything like that but the above kinda confuses me and makes me wonder if I should take any further action?

I have tried previously to access the CBS file where these reports go but when I tried to get into that file it stated that I couldn't (can't remember the exact message it gave). However I may have tried to access the wrong file as it appears I should be going into C Drive - Windows - Logs - CBS so will try again later tonight when back with the machine to get into it again but from what I can gather these reports can be very long and hard to decipher anyway!

Ultimately I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts as to how I can avoid these corrupt files or if it is that big a problem? I was thinking whether it was an idea to completely reinstall Windows but wondered if this was maybe a bit overkill for a problem that I don't actually see or know about unless I do the sfc scannow?

Any thoughts welcomed.

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
If you can't notice any problems at all then I would ignore it. Computers have loads and loads of errors, corrupt files and all sorts all the time, over time they might add up to something but then I'd just re install windows and be done with it. Scanning once a week, just on the off chance seems over the top.

I wouldn't bother re installing windows over something that isn't causing you any issues, while it isn't causing you any problems its safe to ignore it IMO.

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
I would agree with mantadog,if everything is running okay I always take take the view "If it ain't broke, don't fix it"

paul1224

Thanks for the replies and advice, I think I'll just leave it as no noticeable issues are occurring so probably best left alone!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Thanks for the replies and advice, I think I'll just leave it as no noticeable issues are occurring so probably best left alone!

Yes indeed, you can go to all sorts of places on your computer that have loads of 'critical' errors listed but they don't actually do anything.

paul1224

Just an update in case it helps others, I eventually found out that the corrupt files with IE9 related (I have Vista) so I uninstalled IE9 and all was well with the scan with no issues.

Problem was that Windows wouldn't allow IE9 to then be reinstalled via the net or Windows Updates so rather than mess about and wste more hours I just System Restored back to taking IE9 off.

Unfortunately that means I still have the issue as before but better that than having to use IE8!