Ryzen 5900x + Corsair H100x temperature issues

rickyd493

Yeah I went through and tried a bunch of people's suggestions, like leaving it horizontal for a while and some other things but no joy, the clicking is still there :(

Not sure what to do at this point...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah I went through and tried a bunch of people's suggestions, like leaving it horizontal for a while and some other things but no joy, the clicking is still there :(

Not sure what to do at this point...
I would leave it for a week, if the clicking is still there, raise an RMA for the cooler, and if they're in stock see if you can get the H100i in it's place.

The x series have no software connectivity and are much older units, they're basically a no no these days.

The i series connect to iCue and show hundreds of sensor readings making stuff like this much easier to diagnose, and you can set auto shutdowns and alarms if anything does go wrong. Worth it's weight in gold for not much more money. Plus the pumps are just generally much better.

rickyd493

I would leave it for a week, if the clicking is still there, raise an RMA for the cooler, and if they're in stock see if you can get the H100i in it's place.

The x series have no software connectivity and are much older units, they're basically a no no these days.

The i series connect to iCue and show hundreds of sensor readings making stuff like this much easier to diagnose, and you can set auto shutdowns and alarms if anything does go wrong. Worth it's weight in gold for not much more money. Plus the pumps are just generally much better.
Yeah, I'm still waiting on a reply from support so will see what they say as well

Cheers for your help guys

Ash_

Master Poster
So the temp under load is 68 degrees? I wouldn’t worry about that, something went wrong with my cooler 2 weeks ago and my cpu was allegedly at 117 🤣.

i’d give it come time and see if the noise disappears by itself.

rickyd493

So the temp under load is 68 degrees? I wouldn’t worry about that, something went wrong with my cooler 2 weeks ago and my cpu was allegedly at 117 🤣.

i’d give it come time and see if the noise disappears by itself.
Yeah the temps seem ok so I'm not as worried about that aspect of it, they just shoot up a bit when it comes under 30-40% load. Just a bit distracting hearing a constant subtle clicking noise as well! Worried about the bubbles causing damage too.

Is it possibly one of the fans rather than the pump?
Not sure? They seem pretty quiet, and the noise doesn't get worse when they spin up if that helps. I've loosened/tightened some screws as part of investigating the issue as well and no change there.

Keep us updated tho if the noise goes always curious about this one !
Will do! At least I've got some useful info about tilting it and what directions seem to fix it.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Just to completely rule it out. I would switch the PC off. Use some cellotape/masking tape (less chance of residue) to hold the fans in place (all of them) and then switch the system on. If you don't have a mechanical drive connected and the fans are stationary, the pump is definitely the source of the click.

Having some confidence of the source will help you when investigating the issue with PCS :)

Don Coyote

It is quite difficult to hear it on the video but I agree with Nursemorph that it sounds more like morse code. Silly question but could it be static from a motherboard speaker?

rickyd493

Just to completely rule it out. I would switch the PC off. Use some cellotape/masking tape (less chance of residue) to hold the fans in place (all of them) and then switch the system on. If you don't have a mechanical drive connected and the fans are stationary, the pump is definitely the source of the click.

Having some confidence of the source will help you when investigating the issue with PCS :)
Could you clarify what you mean by hold the fans in place? Like stop them spinning?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Could you clarify what you mean by hold the fans in place? Like stop them spinning?

Indeed, stop them from rotating. It's electro magnetism is used to rotate the fans so no issue with having them static for a bit.... just don't go bench testing with them static :D

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Ok, after a bit of fiddling, got the fans stopped and the noise is persisting. So reasonably confident it's the pump at this point.

Would definitely suggest so.

Next step..... remove the small power plug for the pump. It should be attached to the CPU header on the motherboard. That will stop the pump from.... well... pumping. If the noise disappears then you have categorically found the issue.

rickyd493

Would definitely suggest so.

Next step..... remove the small power plug for the pump. It should be attached to the CPU header on the motherboard. That will stop the pump from.... well... pumping. If the noise disappears then you have categorically found the issue.

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just had a look at where the cpu header is on my motherboard and the radiator for the AIO is in the way. I don't know if I'm totally comfortable taking it off in order to get to the pin :/

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Thanks for the suggestion. I've just had a look at where the cpu header is on my motherboard and the radiator for the AIO is in the way. I don't know if I'm totally comfortable taking it off in order to get to the pin :/

That' unusual. Is it actually covering the pin out? That's a bit of a pain.

To weigh it up, if you can absolutely determine the pump is to blame, and you have the confidence to do so, PCS will likely send you out a replacement to fit at your leisure. This will leave you without a PC for an hour or so while you do it.

If you don't feel comfortable with it then my guess is you would need to send the whole PC back for PCS to assess/replace and then return to you. With the way things are, this could be a month of turnaround.

rickyd493

That' unusual. Is it actually covering the pin out? That's a bit of a pain.

To weigh it up, if you can absolutely determine the pump is to blame, and you have the confidence to do so, PCS will likely send you out a replacement to fit at your leisure. This will leave you without a PC for an hour or so while you do it.

If you don't feel comfortable with it then my guess is you would need to send the whole PC back for PCS to assess/replace and then return to you. With the way things are, this could be a month of turnaround.

Yeah, I'm not entirely confident taking everything apart and putting it all back together again so I'll probably need to send it back if it doesn't fix itself.

The clicking stops if I sit the desktop on it's side so I'm going to sit it on it's side and run it for a few hours and see if that helps. worse comes to the worst it can sit side on in perpetuitiy 😆 (jk)

rickyd493

Small update - I made some adjustments to my fan curves earlier to make them a bit quieter and spin up only when needed and I feel like the noise has gotten quieter? I dunno if all my messing about with the desktop earlier is starting to take effect but I feel like there's been some improvement.

Either that or I'm getting used to it :rolleyes: or it is something different.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Small update - I made some adjustments to my fan curves earlier to make them a bit quieter and spin up only when needed and I feel like the noise has gotten quieter? I dunno if all my messing about with the desktop earlier is starting to take effect but I feel like there's been some improvement.

Either that or I'm getting used to it :rolleyes: or it is something different.
Any new AIO does take normally a few days to settle in where you get gurgling noises and clicks as the liquid starts to fully circulate.

This one has taken longer than normal if it is starting to settle down, just be sure that it is getting better and not a placebo effect, but fingers crossed, perhaps there was an amount of blockage somewhere that your troubleshooting has freed.

Fingers crossed!