RTX 2060 Super or RX 5700 XT?

AB2112

The PC I've ordered (and is due to enter building next week) has a RTX 2060 Super, i5 9600K, 16gb ram, 750w PSU, etc for a decent mid-range-ish build.

I'll be using it for general productivity, 1080p gaming and a bit of Maya 3D modelling (not professionally but a hobby), however after reading more about the 5700 XT, I wondered if it would be worth amending the order for an extra £15 for a lot more future-proofing when it comes to games (not that I'm playing a huge amount of fancy AAA titles).

I've heard great things about it's price to performance, especially compared to the 2060 Super, but mixed things regarding it's thermals, drivers and AMD as a whole in regards to 3D rendering (I've been managing with a laptop with a GTX 960M for rendering for 3 years, so anything is a bonus, but being supported in programs like Maya is a must).

Could anyone offer any suggestions whether to go with the 5700 XT or stay with the RTX 2060 Super (I've amended it plenty already, it was originally a GTX 1660ti).

Thanks.

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I would personally stick with Nvidia. AMD are ruling the roost on the CPU front but with the GPU, they still aren't quite there yet. I think they are coming and there are great things head, but there's a very good reason for the price disparity.

The 5700XT is more powerful than the 2060 Super, there's no doubt. It's almost as powerful as the 2070 Super.

What it lacks is in compatibility, driver issues and power requirements.

There's no such thing as future proofing GPUs though. The 2060 is OTT for 1080p gaming but it'll be a great asset for your modelling uses.

As a side note, if you had asked you would have been recommended an AMD build for the CPU etc. It's far more future proof than anything from Intel right now, more powerful for your uses and to cap it off... actually cheaper.

AB2112

Thanks very much for your response, I'll certainly be sticking with the 2060 Super then.
It's knowing that there's a beefier card for only a little bit more dangled in front of you while you wait... Hence I amended from 1660ti to 2060, to 2060 Super! A slippery slope, but worth double checking - especially as I don't know that much about current AMD cards.

As a side note, if you had asked you would have been recommended an AMD build for the CPU etc. It's far more future proof than anything from Intel right now, more powerful for your uses and to cap it off... actually cheaper.

I realised that about a week or two after ordering... Which is a shame, and I would've cancelled it had it been only a day or two after I ordered. I'm not too fussed. For what I need the 9600K will be fine, if a little more expensive than AMD. The price I pay for not checking everything is the best suited! Ah well.
Thanks anyway.