RAM issues with ASUS P7H55-M/USB3 motherboard

JasonPisani

I have been having a nightmare trying to upgrade my RAM on my ASUS P7H55-M/USB3 motherboard.

I currently have 4GB KINGSTON HYPER-X BLU DUAL-DDR3 1600MHz, X.M.P (2 x 2GB KIT) with the additional spec:

Intel® Core™i5-655K Dual Core (3.20GHz, 4MB Cache)
1GB ATI RADEON™ HD5770 - DVI,HDMI,VGA - DirectX® 11

I am trying to upgrade to 8GB (2x4GB sticks) to replace my current 4GB (2x2GB). However when I load up my PC after swapping the RAM, it freezes on the ASUS splash screen and I cannot select any options such as the BIOS. I can only switch off the machine.

So far I have tried the below RAM options on 2 separate occasions with the same problem:

Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9R Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600 Mhz CL9 XMP Performance Desktop Memory Kit
HyperX FURY Series 8GB (2x 4GB) DDR3 1600MHz CL10 DIMM Memory Module Kit

My BIOS is up to date as the only version I can find is 1105 (BIOS date 25/04/2011).

Please help as I really do not understand the problem!!
Thank you!

mantadog

Superhero Level Poster
Neither of those RAM kits are in the manual as supported by that board, probably because the board is fairly old and those kits are rather newer. Normally its ok but it looks like you have found one of the situations where an older board doesn't like newer memory.

As you can support up to 4 modules of RAM i'd suggest looking on ebay for another pair of 2GB Kingston hyper x modules.

The above is all assuming you have gone though the normal trouble shooting steps of trying 1 module of your new ram at a time, trying different slots etc.

JasonPisani

Thank you for your reply mantadog.
I have since made a 3rd purchase from a website called 'Mr Memory' and now have a working set of 2x4GB RAM installed.
Although they are nothing fancy to look at (compared to the Corsair and Kingston RAM), they work which I am happy with.
I will now purchase another 8GB from them to max out my motherboard to 16GB.