Power surge protector

Vaio

Enthusiast
Hey guys I have an extension cable 6 way. How do I know if it's power surge protected? I'm running an extension cable with a 3way adapter attached, this isn't good so I'm going to be buying a 10 way surge protected cable. Currently all the sockets are occupied and can't really take any out as they're all electronic stuff, such as PS3, TV sarround sound.

Vaio

Enthusiast
Nope, no button/hatch.
How does a power surge actually protect your electrical items? does it switch it off before it hits or something?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Surge protected power strips are usually clearly labeled as such.The surge protector works through semiconductors that have a variable resistance that is dependent on voltage.This diverts any excess surge current to earth(ground)

Last edited:

Vaio

Enthusiast
Surge protected power strips are usually clearly labeled as such.The surge protector works through semiconductors that have a variable resistance that is dependent on voltage.This diverts any excess surge current to earth(ground)
Okay I understand that fine if I read it slowly :p
Say for example there's a power cut in my house (happens quite regularly on some occasions) will the power surge protector help me on that too?

vanthus

Member Resting in Peace
Okay I understand that fine if I read it slowly :p
Say for example there's a power cut in my house (happens quite regularly on some occasions) will the power surge protector help me on that too?
Well if you have a powercut it really has nothing to do with surge protection,
obviously your computer will shut down as will everything else.
Probably the worse scenario in this case is you would lose unsaved data.

Finn

Enthusiast
If you want something to help with a powercut you want a U.P.S. (Uninteruptable Power Supply) , it contains a battery and depending on how much your running off it and the size of the UPS can provide power for anywhere between a couple of minutes to an hour or so.