Power Surge for the first time

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
This morning I took the motherboard out, the SATA cable to and from cd player, and one of the cables from motherboard to power. I cleaned the CPU fan and the heat sink attaching to it. Put it all back. Noticed the speaker plug was detached on the motherboard, so figured out where that went on motherboard via my mobile. I turned pc on and it turned off, it restarted and it showed the motherboard Asus screen. Time and date was wrong. I put them both right and then booted PC. Seemed ok.

I was on American Truck Simulator, and after an hour or so playing Multiplayer (ATS' own multiplayer), I got a power surge. When it restarted it sent me to the Asus screen again.

I put my hand on top of the case and it was warm.

I loaded CPUID-HWMonitor, After I loaded the game and joined a multiplayer session again, and noticed the GPU spiked to 73C.

What could have caused the power surge?

Edit: Changed "Noticed a speaker was out" to "Noticed the speaker plug was detached on the motherboard"

Attachments

• IMG-2480.JPG
    IMG-2480.JPG
    240.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
This morning I took the motherboard out, the SATA cable to and from cd player, and one of the cables from motherboard to power. I cleaned the CPU fan and the heat sink attaching to it. Put it all back. Noticed a speaker was out, so figured out where that went on motherboard via my mobile. I turned pc on and it turned off, it restarted and it showed the motherboard Asus screen. Time and date was wrong. I put them both right and then booted PC. Seemed ok.

I was on American Truck Simulator, and after an hour or so playing Multiplayer (ATS' own multiplayer), I got a power surge. When it restarted it sent me to the Asus screen again.

I put my hand on top of the case and it was warm.

I loaded CPUID-HWMonitor, After I loaded the game and joined a multiplayer session again, and noticed the GPU spiked to 73C.

What could have caused the power surge?
So many questions?

Did you isolate yourself before working on the internals?

When you say you cleaned the CPU fan heatsink, what did you use, and did you remove the heatsink to do so?

Are you sure the battery Pinouts are orientated correctly?

You say you only removed one of the motherboard power cables, there are 2, was the power off at the wall before doing this?

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
What are you defining as a power surge? Is it because of the screenshot message from Asus?

Don't take this as gospel but I'm almost positive I remember hearing about nothing but issues with that particular ASUS feature. It would send people down rabbit holes and sometimes pop up when there hasn't been an issue.

If my thinking on the above is correct, I think you've had a crash rather than a power surge.

Will keep an open mind though and consider all avenues :)

I would re-create exactly what you had before only while logging the temps of the CPU/GPU. I think HWMonitor Pro would probably be the best bet for this as you can even remote monitor (30 day free trial).

DaelpixPhotos

Super Star
It's the first time I've had the message. I'm only going by what the photo said on the monitor when it reset.

I'm not overly fussed about it. Temps seem ok now, and I have an order for a new PC placed.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It's the first time I've had the message. I'm only going by what the photo said on the monitor when it reset.

I'm not overly fussed about it. Temps seem ok now, and I have an order for a new PC placed.
Take a photo if it appears again and post it here. :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
You can disable the Asus power surge feature in the BIOS, on older boards it was known to give false reports and the advice was generally to disable it, the PSU should always step in before anything reaches the mobo anyway:

I don't even know if the new model boards even still have it, I have a feeling Asus retired it, although could be completely wrong.