Please beware, New World MMO beta can cause permanent damage to GPU

loso64

There has been several reports that the New World beta is causing permanent damage to 3090 EVGA GPUs by possibly blowing out caps.
This issue might be affecting also other 30k series gpu.

JayzTwoCents made video on it

Beware! This game could brick your GPU! WARNING!

Direct link in case above is not working

Last edited by a moderator:

loso64

Looks like you are advised to turn on VSYNC no matter what, even if you have gsync pc or you want unlimited fps. As it seems the loading is causing to render thousands of FPS which overloads the GPU and blows it out

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
1626895131150.png

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yeah, it's showing now. Weird.

I saw this, I flagged a warning a long time ago that Furmark should only ever be used for troubleshooting GPU glitches, or torture testing to identify cooling issues as it's been flagged that it can cause hardware issues if it's used too much. The load it throws out is nothing like what the most intense game or rendering scenario would ever put out, it really does push the GPU to it's limits.

I'm not sure how it does that as you would have thought there were hardware protections or at least driver protections to cap things that may contribute to hardware issues.

I'd love to understand more about what it is that this game is doing that's causing such significant spikes in temps. I wonder if it's an oversight in the GPU somewhere that they'd need to patch in order to prevent this happening in the future.

loso64

Yeah, it's showing now. Weird.

I saw this, I flagged a warning a long time ago that Furmark should only ever be used for troubleshooting GPU glitches, or torture testing to identify cooling issues as it's been flagged that it can cause hardware issues if it's used too much. The load it throws out is nothing like what the most intense game or rendering scenario would ever put out, it really does push the GPU to it's limits.

I'm not sure how it does that as you would have thought there were hardware protections or at least driver protections to cap things that may contribute to hardware issues.

I'd love to understand more about what it is that this game is doing that's causing such significant spikes in temps. I wonder if it's an oversight in the GPU somewhere that they'd need to patch in order to prevent this happening in the future.
could be oversight, it seems like Jay gonna test this himself, willingly risk destroying 3090, so we might get some interesting info from him in future

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
could be oversight, it seems like Jay gonna test this himself, willingly risk destroying 3090, so we might get some interesting info from him in future
I love Jay, he's a legend! I'm sure GamersNexus and HardwareUnboxed will be all over this as well.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
i mean it would be weird if Tech Jesus did not have a look into this :D and yeah hardware unboxed too, the golden PC trio with Digital Foundry trailing
Just added a text link in case the video link isn't working for people. Seems to be glitching in and out, very odd.

loso64

well, luckily for me, i have permanently capped FPS using RivaTuner Statistics to 97fps, 3 fps bellow max refresh rate of my monitor. Because i want to keep G-Sync always on. So unlimited fps in loading screen is never gonna happen for me.

But this is really stupid. I dont think this is amazon to be blamed for, but developers really need to stop the unlimited FPS during loading screens.