Playstation Pro

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Thoughts?

for me personally it was an instant buy, the option to play the majority of console exclusives at a higher frame rate is awesome. With watered down pc like settings to be the norm, games like the last of us giving gamers the option to play at 1800p at 60fps or 4k with advanced shadows at 30fps :tooth:

Horizon: Zero Dawn
PS4 Pro with a 1080p display:

Improved shadow maps, extra detail, and enhanced colors. It'll feature higher quality anisotropic filtering, which means upgraded texture sampling, resulting in more detailed environments. Additionally, supersampling will render Horizon's resolution at a resolution "close to 4K" and then shrink it down to 1080p, Guerilla Games says.

PS4 Pro with a 4K display:
A 2160p checkerboard, which Guerilla Games says is a technique that "looks incredible" on a 4K display. It's supposed to add noticeable detail to aspects, such as "stitching on Aloy’s outfit, individual leaves and branches swaying in the wind, kilometers away in the distance, and more detail in all the machines and NPCs in the world."

Drunken Monkey

Author Level
Now that I've had some time with it I'm really impressed. It's crazy how much they can get of these consoles my gtx 1070 cost more and it's giving it a run for it's money. What's annoying is how certain developers have opted for 1080p with supersampling at 30fps or 4K at 30fps, but the majority of games do have a 60fps mode. Also what sucks is older games that haven't been patched to take advantage of the boost in hardware have no framerate increase, whilst the latest Xbox model has a tiny boost over the base model, and I can only imagine Scorpio killing it next year

Also uncharted 4 on this is amazing, you know how you go from console gaming to PC and your jaw drops at the difference

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
60fps option should become a standard on consoles. It's the only way that they might be able to bring back a few PC players.

It's amazing how closely consoles now resemble PCs. The Xbox One already runs a cut down version of Windows 10. What with 'apps' etc being cross compatible.

I prefer what Nintendo are doing though, and that is making sure that the experience on its consoles are different to that on PC, whereas PS4 and XB1 just get closer and closer to what a PC can already do.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The Pro actually runs a lot of games that aren't optimised for it worse than the 4, I would say it's not worth it, it's not a true 4k output anyway, isn't powerful enough to do that.

The new XBox Sierra sounds like it will be fully powerful enough for true 4k, but it's going to be more expensive. If you want real 4k I'd wait for that.