Placing pc on carpet

hobnobs

Gold Level Poster
What are your thoughts on this? I've read in the past that ESD (electrostatic discharge) can cause parts to break but nowadays parts have been designed to counter-act this problem. There is the whole argument about airflow and dust as well. Is placing a pc on the carpet a bad thing?

I need to decide whether to buy a stand or some blocks as my current desk isn't big enough.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
What are your thoughts on this? I've read in the past that ESD (electrostatic discharge) can cause parts to break but nowadays parts have been designed to counter-act this problem. There is the whole argument about airflow and dust as well. Is placing a pc on the carpet a bad thing?

I need to decide whether to buy a stand or some blocks as my current desk isn't big enough.
The case will protect the innards from any ESD, all the components are isolated within.

I’ve had my current pc on the carpet all it’s life. It does have feet though which raise it about an inch up as it does have bottom air ports for the PSU, but I’ve never had an issue.

It’s only when you’re building or adding components that you need to be wary of esd.

Gavras

Master Poster
My pc always lived on carpet in various houses (spare room etc).

however it does come down to the carpet, deep pile living room carpet potentially impacts cooling if bottom air vents and or PSU.

Stability is something else to watch out for If the carpet has any thickness / depth to it

hobnobs

Gold Level Poster
The case will protect the innards from any ESD, all the components are isolated within.

I’ve had my current pc on the carpet all it’s life. It does have feet though which raise it about an inch up as it does have bottom air ports for the PSU, but I’ve never had an issue.

It’s only when you’re building or adding components that you need to be wary of esd.
Great advice. The design 7 has feet as well so I think i'm all good on that front. And I'll make sure not to install the GPU on the carpet as well.

My pc always lived on carpet in various houses (spare room etc).

however it does come down to the carpet, deep pile living room carpet potentially impacts cooling if bottom air vents and or PSU.

Stability is something else to watch out for If the carpet has any thickness / depth to it
Exactly. I definitely wouldn't put a pc on a thick rug

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Great advice. The design 7 has feet as well so I think i'm all good on that front. And I'll make sure not to install the GPU on the carpet as well.

Exactly. I definitely wouldn't put a pc on a thick rug
The Design 7 is a very good case, you won't have a problem with it on the carpet (unless it's sheepskin rug as @Gavras correctly points out).