PC won't turn on anymore

nathan781

This morning my pc stopped powering on when pressing the power button. I've had it for around 4 months and had no issues until now, was working fine the night before.

LEDs in the PC are lighting up so some power is getting through at least, I've tried seeing if powering up the PC by touching the two "Power SW" pins with a screwdriver works but nothing happened. I also tested the power supply by using a paperclip and strangely the fans in the power supply did come on (they weren't coming on when connected to the pc and pressing the power button) but none of the components in the PC powered on. Is it possible that my PCs cooling is not good enough and one of the parts has burnt out or something like that? My specs are:

• Case CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE
  • Intel® Core™ i7 16-Core Processor i7-13700KF (Up to 5.4GHz) 30MB Cache
  • Motherboard ASUS® TUF GAMING B760-PLUS WIFI D4 (LGA1700, PCIe5.0, USB 3.2)
  • Memory (RAM) 32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 16GB)
  • Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 - HDMI, DP,
  • LHR 1st M.2 SSD Drive 1TB SAMSUNG 990 PRO M.2, PCIe 4.0 NVMe (up to 7450MB/R, 6900MB/W)
  • 2nd M.2 SSD Drive 2TB SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS M.2, PCIe NVMe (up to 3500MB/R, 3300MB/W)
  • 1st Storage Drive 2TB SEAGATE BARRACUDA SATA-III 3.5" HDD, 6GB/s, 7200RPM, 256MB
  • Power Supply CORSAIR 750W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
  • Power Cable 1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
  • Processor Cooling CORSAIR H100x RGB ELITE HIGH PERFORMANCE CPU COOL
  • Thermal Paste STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
  • 2 PORT (2 x TYPE A) USB 3.0 PCI-E CARD + STANDARD USB PORTS
I guess if there's not a somewhat obvious way to fix this I'll have to RMA it but just wondering if anyone has seen something like this before and maybe knows what's going on?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Normally when the LED's are powering on, but it failing to boot it suggests and issue with the power supply to the CPU. There are 2 supplies to the motherboard, one that powers the motherboard itself (the huge 24pin monster) and the 8pin CPU that's purely for the CPU (usually top left of motherboard)

While the H100x is not enough for the CPU to keep it from thermal throttling, I'd be surprised if it's caused it to burn out so quickly.

Check the 8PIN CPU connector is properly attached at both the motherboard side and the the PSU side.

Also double check the case controller to motherboard pins are properly connected.

Sometimes things can be loosened when the foam is removed, and over time the pins just "fall" off.

It's unlikely but worth checking.

Number 5 is the CPU power

Number 16 is case controllers

https___dlcdnets_asus_com_pub_ASUS_mb_LGA1700_TUF_GAMING_B760-PLUS_WIFI_D4_E21224_TUF_GAMING_B...jpg

You can find pinouts in the manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/TUF_GAMING_B760-PLUS_WIFI_D4/E21224_TUF_GAMING_B760-PLUS_WIFI_D4_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B760-PLUS WIFI D4

nathan781

Normally when the LED's are powering on, but it failing to boot it suggests and issue with the power supply to the CPU. There are 2 supplies to the motherboard, one that powers the motherboard itself (the huge 24pin monster) and the 8pin CPU that's purely for the CPU (usually top left of motherboard)

While the H100x is not enough for the CPU to keep it from thermal throttling, I'd be surprised if it's caused it to burn out so quickly.

Check the 8PIN CPU connector is properly attached at both the motherboard side and the the PSU side.

Also double check the case controller to motherboard pins are properly connected.

Sometimes things can be loosened when the foam is removed, and over time the pins just "fall" off.

It's unlikely but worth checking.

Number 5 is the CPU power

Number 16 is case controllers

View attachment 40360

You can find pinouts in the manual: https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1700/TUF_GAMING_B760-PLUS_WIFI_D4/E21224_TUF_GAMING_B760-PLUS_WIFI_D4_UM_WEB.pdf?model=TUF GAMING B760-PLUS WIFI D4
Hey thanks for the response

As far as I can tell everything seems to be firmly connected so no luck there unfortunately.