PC wont start properly??

Ahlikx

I've had my PC for maybe 1 and a half months now and since yesterday I've had trouble turning it on

before this problem it would boot up fine, it would beep (sometimes there'd be 3 shorter beeps beforehand) and would light up inside, right now the only light I can see is a small power symbol on the motherboard,

when it first started doing this (yesterday as of typing this) I just turned it off and back on from the wall and it worked, today that didn't work and I ended up turning it off at the wall and unplugging it for around 20 ish seconds which eventually made it work again, although now at the end of the day when I've attempted to do this again just to check, it's not turning on.

I don't really know what's causing it and I'm absolutely clueless when it comes to building PCs so I don't want to go rifling through its guts in case I break it permanently or void the warranty, was wondering if someone could help me here?

P.S if it makes any difference, it currently has a monitor, mouse and keyboard, seagate external hard drive and a huion kamvas 16 hooked up to it aswell

here are the specs:
Case CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-11700K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS Master (LGA1200, USB 3.2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX,
Wi-Fi) - ARGB Ready

Memory (RAM) 32GB PCS PRO DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR

Graphics Card Support Bracket PCS GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET

1st Storage Drive 2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)

Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CX-650F RGB SERIES™ POWER SUPPLY

Power Cable 1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 150 Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

LED Lighting 50cm Red LED Strip

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Wireless Network Card NOT REQUIRED

USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRON

Ahlikx

this is an update to a previous post I made until I figure out how to delete the old one.

so my PC can power on and work fine but the actual power button will not function, I've managed to get it on via a mixed series of unplugging and re-plugging my pc. I have a thought that maybe I've knocked something loose inside? my chair will sometimes tap the top left corner of my case when it spins so maybe something has gotten out of place.

just wondering if it is the power button that's the problem and of there's something loose, could somebody point me to any cables or wires I should be looking for? anything I shouldn't touch that might void the warranty and such?

P.S I also get a red CPU light on the motherboard when it does boot up, and for now, only 1 high pitched beep, for a little while before I was getting a 3 beep tone before the high pitched one
specs below

Case CORSAIR 4000D AIRFLOW TEMPERED GLASS GAMING CASE

Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-11700K (3.6GHz) 16MB Cache

Motherboard GIGABYTE Z590 AORUS Master (LGA1200, USB 3.2, PCIe 4.0, CrossFireX,
Wi-Fi) - ARGB Ready

Memory (RAM) 32GB PCS PRO DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 16GB)

Graphics Card 12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR

Graphics Card Support Bracket PCS GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET

1st Storage Drive 2TB PCS 2.5" SSD, SATA 6 Gb (520MB/R, 470MB/W)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive NOT REQUIRED

Power Supply CORSAIR 650W CX-650F RGB SERIES™ POWER SUPPLY

Power Cable 1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)

Processor Cooling PCS FrostFlow 150 Series High Performance CPU Cooler

Thermal Paste ARCTIC MX-4 EXTREME THERMAL CONDUCTIVITY COMPOUND

LED Lighting 50cm Red LED Strip

Sound Card ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)

Network Card 10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT

Wireless Network Card NOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt Options MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRON

steaky360

1 short beep is a 'all good' post tone - would you say the beep was short or is it a 'long' beep (might seem weird, like how would you know, but you'd know if it was long. Definitely more of a beeeeeeeep than a beep).

If the power button just isn't working you can check the cable.

I believe from the manual the front I/O goes here (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...1002_e.pdf?v=715d8d7b5c00758d4cbdfb771a1325d8 page 33/112):

1666677357476.png

I'd check to see if that cable has come loose (maybe when the PC is off, pull it out and put it back in).

Ahlikx

1 short beep is a 'all good' post tone - would you say the beep was short or is it a 'long' beep (might seem weird, like how would you know, but you'd know if it was long. Definitely more of a beeeeeeeep than a beep).

If the power button just isn't working you can check the cable.

I believe from the manual the front I/O goes here (https://download.gigabyte.com/FileL...1002_e.pdf?v=715d8d7b5c00758d4cbdfb771a1325d8 page 33/112):

View attachment 35015

I'd check to see if that cable has come loose (maybe when the PC is off, pull it out and put it back in).
I've taken a look at this cable but it seems to be in fine, I've got a graphics card support bracket in there so I'm not able to pull out that cable cos it's in the way, would it be anything connected to the power button itself?

steaky360

Well that cable should be connected to a bundle of cables one of which will go to the power button. Out of interest how are you starting the PC if the power button doesn't work?

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Possibly sounds like a problem with the power button, I'd contact PCS and sort an RMA, so they can sort it for you

Ahlikx

Well that cable should be connected to a bundle of cables one of which will go to the power button. Out of interest how are you starting the PC if the power button doesn't work?
I've managed to find a way via plugging it in to a different outlet. everyday I swap between two outlets and it manages to boot on its own

B4zookaw

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
How does swapping between two power sockets fix your issue??

Walk me through it?
  • You connect PSU power cable to wall socket?
  • You turn on PSU switch at the back
  • etc
At what point does the PC turn on?

Ahlikx

How does swapping between two power sockets fix your issue??

Walk me through it?
  • You connect PSU power cable to wall socket?
  • You turn on PSU switch at the back
  • etc
At what point does the PC turn on?
so the way I did it today (at least how I remember it) was that I unplugged it from the wall then plugged it into the socket next to it that was already on and it just came to life on its own

steaky360

so the way I did it today (at least how I remember it) was that I unplugged it from the wall then plugged it into the socket next to it that was already on and it just came to life on its own
Rather than changing power socket, just try and turn off the button on the PSU see if the PC exhibits the same behavior. If it does, it sounds to me like the power button is goosed or there's something amiss with the front I/O connection on the motherboard... although I'm sure it could be lots of other things. Do any of the other items on the front of the case work (ie USBs, HDD indicator lights etc. etc.)?

If it doesn't, it could be something to do with the PSU itself perhaps?

Did you get in touch with PCS? I'd absolutely be giving them a phone to talk it through with them, if part of your case has failed they should be able to help (potentially will need to RMA the PC though which I appreciate isn't great).

Ahlikx

Rather than changing power socket, just try and turn off the button on the PSU see if the PC exhibits the same behavior. If it does, it sounds to me like the power button is goosed or there's something amiss with the front I/O connection on the motherboard... although I'm sure it could be lots of other things. Do any of the other items on the front of the case work (ie USBs, HDD indicator lights etc. etc.)?

Did you get in touch with PCS? I'd absolutely be giving them a phone to talk it through with them, if part of your case has failed they should be able to help (potentially will need to RMA the PC though which I appreciate isn't grea

Did you get in touch with PCS? I'd absolutely be giving them a phone to talk it through with them, if part of your case has failed they should be able to help (potentially will need to RMA the PC though which I appreciate isn't great).
I've tried turning the PSU power button off but it doesn't do anything once I flick it back on, surely it must only be the power button because I've used the headphone jack recently and that's completely fine,

I'll give PCS a call and see where it goes from there