PC wont boot anymore, stuck on DRAM light. What should I try replacing first?

thomor

Bronze Level Poster
Hey all, got this PC from PCS back in 2019. In recent months it's been having a bit of a sluggish boot time, seeming to hang for 10 secs or so with all the fans spinning and lights on before it finally gives the boot beep and starts up. About 3 weeks ago it just stopped booting altogether and the motherboard light is red on DRAM. It flashes back to CPU a couple of times as though it's attempting to try again and then after a couple tries it just sits on flat red DRAM light and doesn't go any further. Everything else inside appears powered up, fans and lights all working, but no boot and no beeps.

I'm thinking about trying to replace a component to see what the problem is, starting with the RAM since that seems the most likely culprit. However, I have tried booting the system with only a single stick of RAM installed (tried twice with both sticks) and tried switching slots too. So what's the chances both sticks of RAM died at the exact same time? Could be it that the CPU itself is dead instead and I shouldn't waste money on RAM and just replace that instead? Any advice welcome.

Here is the full spec of the PC:

Case
CORSAIR CRYSTAL SERIES 460X RGB GAMING CASE
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 5 3600X Six Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.4GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
GIGABYTE B450 AORUS ELITE: DDR4, USB 3.1 - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
8GB AMD RADEON™ RX 590 - HDMI, DP - DX® 12 (Note that this was replaced a year later with an RX 5600XT and have been running that ever since)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB ADATA SX6000 Pro PCIe M.2 2280 (2100 MB/R, 1500 MB/W)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 650W VS SERIES™ VS-650 POWER SUPPLY
Processor Cooling
PCS FrostFlow 100 V2 Series High Performance CPU Cooler (AMD)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
2 x 50cm RGB LED Strip
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)