PC Turns off

Sweeney47

luckily it has a huge melting point, I remember once I quit Crysis Warhead and my temp monitor recorded a maximum temperature of 121 degrees celcius. My jaw hit the floor...

Sweeney47

I know... I think it was just a spike rather than sustained temp but apparently they've been known to work up to 150 before hitting issues...

LDUK

Master Poster
I know... I think it was just a spike rather than sustained temp but apparently they've been known to work up to 150 before hitting issues...

Jeeeeeeez! Wow. Well, just wow! See although Nvidia cards run hot, they can actually take the heat, so it's not really an issue.

Sweeney47

Just got a cartoon image of the graphics card... and the sound card... With the sound card going "excuse me... erm... I don't suppose you could breathe somewhere else... its just er... your making me a bit hot" with the graphics card telling it where it can shove its opinions...

PaulH

Bright Spark
Oh just as a quickie, nvidias new drivers are causing havoc with SLI - type in "SLI black screen" the 258 /9 drivers are the cause of thism you need to roll back to 257.15 which can be found on the nvidia website - least you can roll back i have 2xgtx460s and i cant roll back cos 257.15 arent compatible with the gtx460 (well they werent till i played with the INF file to at least get it to install, seems a lot more stable now.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=174227

Only happens on Sli system

Matt

Bright Spark
Oh just as a quickie, nvidias new drivers are causing havoc with SLI - type in "SLI black screen" the 258 /9 drivers are the cause of thism you need to roll back to 257.15 which can be found on the nvidia website - least you can roll back i have 2xgtx460s and i cant roll back cos 257.15 arent compatible with the gtx460 (well they werent till i played with the INF file to at least get it to install, seems a lot more stable now.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=174227

Only happens on Sli system

Not Nvidia bashing here...

I seem to recall something similar happening on some older Nvidia drivers, i remember there being a massive uproar after a certain Nvidia driver set was running really hot (maybe a year or two back now) and was causing card death all over the shop.

Last edited:
The best thing to do now is to download the following free software;

http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

This will give you temperatures for pretty much every component in your PC - CPU, Mobo, HDDs, GPUs etc.

Please run this software and then play a game for as long as you think you can before it shuts down. Exit the game and HW Monitor will give you the Current Temp, Minimum Temp & Maximum Temp of each component. Please reply back with the temperatures for the CPU & both GPUs and we'll take it from there.

This is more accurate way of ruling out an overheating issue compared to increasing fan speeds/removing side panels etc.

Hi, sorry for the delay in replying, (very wet holiday in Cornwall) :-( I did download the software, I also played with the side off but it still turned off.
The following temps were taken approx 5 minutes before it restarted again:
1x Nvidea GeForce GTX 260 = 59C
1x Nvidea GeForce GTX 260 = 47C
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Core 0 = 95C
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Core 1 = 92C
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Core 2 = 90C
CPU Intel Core 2 Quad Core 3 = 90C

In case it is helpful, the PSU is FSP600-80GLN

Looking at the temp it might not be the GPUs after all...
Thanks
G

PaulH

Bright Spark
Your CPU is haemmoraging, you need to check to see if your cooler is mounted properly, do you have an order number you can PM me so i can look when i get in on Monday?

Meds

Agreed, the CPU is overheating. I would continue to deal with PaulH via pm or call Tech Support on 0844 499 4000, they'll hopefully have you up and running in no time!

PaulH

Bright Spark
Okies, you have the Super quiiet copper heatpipe cooler, first thing i would do is open up the Cosmos case (little lever at the back) and then check to see if the fan is going on the cooler, if it is, turn off the PC, unplug it from the mains and see if the cooler is on tight, if its not, we have the problem found and it will be easy to rectify. I can give you a call to walk through this if you would like to PM me an appropriate time and day :)