PC dead as a dodo

nigpd

Bronze Level Poster
Just tried to fire up my desktop and it’s dead as a dodo.

First thing I tried was to swap out the power lead, in case it was just a fuse, but still no joy.

Is there a standard fault finding process that I can try in such cases, before invoking the dreaded RMA?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help

Bhuna50

Author Level
If it’s totally dead and there’s not even a whir from PSU at all then my guess is it’s the PSU gone.

Post your full specs from the order page though in case anyone else might have an idea

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Just tried to fire up my desktop and it’s dead as a dodo.

First thing I tried was to swap out the power lead, in case it was just a fuse, but still no joy.

Is there a standard fault finding process that I can try in such cases, before invoking the dreaded RMA?

Thanks in advance for any advice and help
Is this a new PC?

As above if you can post your full specs.

What happened to the run up to this? Was there anything preceding it like a power cut?

Is it plugged into a surge protector?

Sorry to ask, but are you sure the PSU power switch is turned on?

nigpd

Bronze Level Poster
Well chaps, I did a bit of Googling last night and I have now solved the problem.

Disconnected all the leads, power, USBs, display ports, etc. Pressed and held in the on/off button for 15 seconds, connected the power lead, switched on at the back and pressed the on/off button and hey presto, it powered up.

I'm not savvy enough to know what this fix would have done and what would have caused the problem in the first place, but now that you guys know the fix, would you have any idea of the cause and how the solution worked?

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Well chaps, I did a bit of Googling last night and I have now solved the problem.

Disconnected all the leads, power, USBs, display ports, etc. Pressed and held in the on/off button for 15 seconds, connected the power lead, switched on at the back and pressed the on/off button and hey presto, it powered up.

I'm not savvy enough to know what this fix would have done and what would have caused the problem in the first place, but now that you guys know the fix, would you have any idea of the cause and how the solution worked?
That's known as a soft reset. Holding the power button in with everything disconnected allows all the capacitors to discharge fully so that all the electronics returns to a default state. It's a very useful and common troubleshooting procedure.

nigpd

Bronze Level Poster
That's known as a soft reset. Holding the power button in with everything disconnected allows all the capacitors to discharge fully so that all the electronics returns to a default state. It's a very useful and common troubleshooting procedure.
@ubuysa thanks for the info, much appreciated. Would you know why the fault occurs in the first place and is there a way to avoid It? Prevention is better than cure and all that.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
@ubuysa thanks for the info, much appreciated. Would you know why the fault occurs in the first place and is there a way to avoid It? Prevention is better than cure and all that.
I've no idea what causes issues like this. Static electricity perhaps? Induction from nearby equipment? Cosmic radiation? If you're not plugged in via a surge protector then get one. Not using one could void your warranty. From the Terms & Conditions...

7.4 This warranty does not apply to any defect in the goods arising from fair wear and tear, wilful damage, accident, negligence by you or any third party (e.g. not using a surge protector), use otherwise than as recommended by us or the manufacturer (e.g. in an unventilated / hot or dusty environment), failure to follow the manufacturer's instructions, or any alteration or repair carried out without the manufacturer's approval.

nigpd

Bronze Level Poster
I've no idea what causes issues like this. Static electricity perhaps? Induction from nearby equipment? Cosmic radiation? If you're not plugged in via a surge protector then get one. Not using one could void your warranty. From the Terms & Conditions...
I've always used a surge protector for gear like this, even with my home cinema kit. Peace of mind for a few bob that's a fraction of the cost of the gear being protected. It's a no brainer.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
Thanks! Just curious to know is all....

Whenever you are working inside a PC Case, I have always been told to disconnect the power, and afterwards press the power button on the PC to ensure all capacitors are drained as @ubuysa says - or there can be a little surprise waiting for your fingers! ⚡ 😱

On my old PC, the power button would light birefly when I did this - maybe for a quarter of a second - and then go out again. I always found it reassuring - kind of a visual indication that everything is fully dead. But the button on my new build doesn't behave the same way and I wondered if the modern power supplies or motherboards find some way to dissipate the stored energy upon shutdown. Your solution certainly seems to prove that this isn't the case.

I'm glad you posted here and I am equally glad you found a solution. The learning continues all around..... (y)

Bigfoot

Grand Master
One thing to be careful of is that if the PC is plugged in, mains electricity will still be present on the connections at the back of the main power switch, even when it is switched off. Hopefully, you wouldn’t come into contact with them, as they would be internal to the PSU, but I learnt the hard way with an amplifier I had built. I got a painful shock when I inadvertently brushed against the back of the power switch when it was switched off but plugged in.

NoddyPirate

Grand Master
One thing to be careful of is that if the PC is plugged in, mains electricity will still be present on the connections at the back of the main power switch, even when it is switched off. Hopefully, you wouldn’t come into contact with them, as they would be internal to the PSU, but I learnt the hard way with an amplifier I had built. I got a painful shock when I inadvertently brushed against the back of the power switch when it was switched off but plugged in.
Yes OFF isn’t really OFF unless it’s disconnected I guess!