P6X58D-E - SATA 6Gb/s

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Not sure if this has been asked before by someone else, I am thinking of buying either:

http://www.corsair.com/ssd/force-se...20gb-sata-3-6gbps-solid-state-hard-drive.html or

http://www.ocztechnology.com/ocz-agility-3-sata-iii-2-5-ssd.html

However I have read somewhere that the SATA 6Gb/s marvell controller on the P6X58D-E are useless. Can someone from PCS or anyone with the P6X58D-E let me know if the motherboard is compatible and provides the quoted read/write speed of the above SSD's.

Thanks in advance

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
i cant answer your question but id definitely say get a corsair SSD, the OCZ ones have proven unreliable and because of that, they are no longer supplied by PCS

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Thanks, the read/write of the corsair is also a little faster as well. Hopefully someone will be able to answer my question so that I do not waste my money on something that I will not be able to use properly.

Last edited:

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
I already have the PC, bought it from PCS about a year ago. Thinking of getting an SSD so that it boots windows faster. Currently having to hibernate to avoid the longer load times with the mechanical drives.

Wozza63

Biblical Poster
well whatever SSD you get, you'll get pretty awesome speeds when compared to standard drives, so if you are unsure, just get a cheaper 3gb/s one, it will still do you very nicely

Rakk

The Awesome
Got there before me. Rakk mate, do you have any knowledge on these marvell controllers. I want to make a more informed decision before taking the plunge.

Unfortunately no, I have no idea what-so-ever, but I have exactly the same mobo so it'd be interesting to know :)

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Unfortunately no, I have no idea what-so-ever, but I have exactly the same mobo so it'd be interesting to know :)

That is also why I asked. I see PCS are currently offering 6Gb/s SSD drive with this mobo on the configurator. Hopefully they have tested to see what speeds they provide.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
Anyone at PCS have any information on this? Come on Gorman, master of all things PC related, where are you. Surely you know the answer to this?

bg92

Expert
You can ask on this website http://www.overclock.net/ you should get an answer. I've read that marvell controllers are not too good and that you might be better off using the normal sata 3gb/s port. I'm also interested to see how it performs, as I have the same motherboards, and my next upgrade is going to be an ssd.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
I have tested the speeds using ATTO Disck Benchmark v2.47 and the result I got was as follows (Marvell Controller):

Max Write: 245707
Max Read: 404096

Hope this helps someone. Still this SSD is super fast and loads windows in 30 seconds.

Gibbs

Gold Level Poster
They work well enough but from working in the RMA department we've discovered that there is a problem with using an SSD drive on port 1 when in a single drive configuration. It produces some strange results (controller drops) so connecting it to port 2 cures the problem.

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
They work well enough but from working in the RMA department we've discovered that there is a problem with using an SSD drive on port 1 when in a single drive configuration. It produces some strange results (controller drops) so connecting it to port 2 cures the problem.

Gibbs, not sure what you mean by port 2, is that the second SATA 6Gb/s port (listed as 8 I beleive?)

abdulhamid

Enthusiast
91954322.jpg

These are the speed readings I am getting from ATTO, not sure what they mean. Does anyone have any ideas?