Ordering without an OS.

decaro

Enthusiast
I am planning to order a PC without an OS because quite frankly id rather go get a key for a fiver and be done with it but that's besides the point, I've read that you shouldn't activate the version they use for testing because it may not be complete and some say its a trial of windows 10 home but I am not able to find anything online about this, do they just install windows 10 home and not activate it for testing or is it a different version that wont work correctly even if activated? or is it simply unactivated windows 10 home?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am planning to order a PC without an OS because quite frankly id rather go get a key for a fiver and be done with it but that's besides the point, I've read that you shouldn't activate the version they use for testing because it may not be complete and some say its a trial of windows 10 home but I am not able to find anything online about this, do they just install windows 10 home and not activate it for testing or is it a different version that wont work correctly even if activated? or is it simply unactivated windows 10 home?
It won't be configured and if you use it it will cause instability and likely BSODs.

You'd need to fully reinstall your own copy.

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
I may be wrong, when I got mine I think it was windows 10 home unactivated, again I could be wrong, I downloaded the windows 10 OS from Microsoft used a key I already had, as the OS on the site is the most upto date 9 out of 10 times, it will prob be best to download and install that and then use your own key

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
But surely it will be a stable version because its what they do all of their stress tests on?
it's just enough to run through stress tests, it's not configured fully. Believe me, we get enough people posting with BSODS and freezes due to this.

A fresh install only takes about 30 minutes anyway from start to finish, it's rediculously easy on windows 10.

decaro

Enthusiast
it's just enough to run through stress tests, it's not configured fully. Believe me, we get enough people posting with BSODS and freezes due to this.

A fresh install only takes about 30 minutes anyway from start to finish, it's rediculously easy on windows 10.
Ok cool, I was just wondering because I have seen conflicting posts on this.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
If you're going 'to get a key for a fiver' then we can't help you I'm afraid. These types of keys are almost certainly illegal, Microsoft do not make cheap keys available to the general public. Since PCS are a Microsoft partner you'll be on your own with an illegal key.

You can buy an OEM license by including a copy of Windows with your build, you can buy a retail license direct from Microsoft or one of their partners, or you can transfer a digital license from an old PC to your new build.

Using the PCS testing Windows system is unwise in the extreme, it isn't always a Home system, some users have found it to be a Pro system. In addition we've had countless people come back on here with all sorts of niggles due to activating the test system. In any case, why would you use a system you know nothing about? If you buy without an OS, always install your own copy and use a legal key to activate it.

Gavras

Master Poster
If you're going 'to get a key for a fiver' then we can't help you I'm afraid. These types of keys are almost certainly illegal, Microsoft do not make cheap keys available to the general public. Since PCS are a Microsoft partner you'll be on your own with an illegal key.

You can buy an OEM license by including a copy of Windows with your build, you can buy a retail license direct from Microsoft or one of their partners, or you can transfer a digital license from an old PC to your new build.

Using the PCS testing Windows system is unwise in the extreme, it isn't always a Home system, some users have found it to be a Pro system. In addition we've had countless people come back on here with all sorts of niggles due to activating the test system. In any case, why would you use a system you know nothing about? If you buy without an OS, always install your own copy and use a legal key to activate it.
Having been through a number of Microsoft software audits, which are very detailed and also require specific processes in place for licence control and due diligence, sending a machine back for RMA with an illegal OS would put them in a tough position - we nearly failed one which would have been catastrophic.

I also get involved with software audits of organisations (via BSA etc) and it’s crazy how many companies put themselves at risk.

Mugenjin

You mean the Windows 10 licences from PCS, costing over £100, are only OEM?

[Advice to use an unlicensed copy of Windows removed, because that's illegal].

You can definitely find legal retail copies of Windows 10 for less than £100.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rakk

The Awesome
You mean the Windows 10 licences from PCS, costing over £100, are only OEM?
PCS are only allowed to sell OEM versions as a system builder I believe, I don't think they have much choice in the matter. And Win10Home is not over £100 when you buy it with a PCS PC, its £69 I think, Win 10 Pro is more but then that's the Pro version.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
PCS are only allowed to sell OEM versions as a system builder I believe, I don't think they have much choice in the matter. And Win10Home is not over £100 when you buy it with a PCS PC, its £69 I think, Win 10 Pro is more but then that's the Pro version.
It’s also the case that the cost includes the installation and configuration, you’re not just paying for the license.

Mugenjin

The price decreases by £111 when choosing no OS instead of Home, and £132 instead of Pro (in this current configuration I have open).

If the price includes installation/configuration, it’s probably even less worth the cost for most, but perhaps I’m biased in my thinking that people choose customised pre-built systems for the build aspect (as opposed to software).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
The price decreases by £111 when choosing no OS instead of Home, and £132 instead of Pro (in this current configuration I have open).

If the price includes installation/configuration, it’s probably even less worth the cost for most, but perhaps I’m biased in my thinking that people choose customised pre-built systems for the build aspect (as opposed to software).
A lot of people ordering custom PC's are doing so becuase they're not comfortable with hardware and windows configuration, but want the lesser price for better hardware.

A significant portion of the users on the forum aren't familiar with windows installation at all.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor

With a digital license associated with your Microsoft id you can legally transfer the license from an old machine to your new PCS build. Your old PC will then of course need to run some other operating system.

I addition, your earlier suggestion that the OP could install Windows and run it unlicensed after 30 days is also illegal. The Windows EULA, which you must explicitly agree to when installing Windows, says the following:

5. Authorized Software and Activation. You are authorized to use this software only if you are properly licensed and the software has been properly activated with a genuine product key or by other authorized method. When you connect to the Internet while using the software, the software will automatically contact Microsoft or its affiliate to conduct activation to associate it with a certain device. You can also activate the software manually by Internet or telephone. In either case, transmission of certain information will occur, and Internet, telephone and SMS service charges may apply. During activation (or reactivation that may be triggered by changes to your device’s components), the software may determine that the installed instance of the software is counterfeit, improperly licensed or includes unauthorized changes. If activation fails, the software will attempt to repair itself by replacing any tampered Microsoft software with genuine Microsoft software. You may also receive reminders to obtain a proper license for the software. Successful activation does not confirm that the software is genuine or properly licensed. You may not bypass or circumvent activation. To help determine if your software is genuine and whether you are properly licensed, see (aka.ms/genuine). Certain updates, support, and other services might only be offered to users of genuine Microsoft software.

Mugenjin

With a digital license associated with your Microsoft id you can legally transfer the license from an old machine to your new PCS build. Your old PC will then of course need to run some other operating system.

I addition, your earlier suggestion that the OP could install Windows and run it unlicensed after 30 days is also illegal. The Windows EULA, which you must explicitly agree to when installing Windows, says the following:
I wasn’t suggesting they actually use it in perpetuity without activation, merely that Windows 10 is not as strict as its predecessors (and this is obviously intended by Microsoft). I also wouldn’t call it ‘illegal’ in the same manner as e.g. breaking copyright or selling stolen keys; Microsoft wouldn’t deliberately program their OS to allow illegal activity by end users so easily.

A fresh installation of Windows without a product key is permitted by Microsoft (“I don’t have a product key”), and there is a (lenient) window of 30 days in which to source a genuine product key at a lower cost than that offered by PCS. For the avoidance of doubt, this is advice on saving money, NOT advocating unauthorised usage.

Last edited:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
I wasn’t suggesting they actually use it in perpetuity without activation, merely that Windows 10 is not as strict as its predecessors (and this is obviously intended by Microsoft). I also wouldn’t call it ‘illegal’ in the same manner as e.g. breaking copyright or selling stolen keys; Microsoft wouldn’t deliberately program their OS to allow illegal activity by end users so easily.

A fresh installation of Windows without a product key is permitted by Microsoft (“I don’t have a product key”), and there is a (lenient) window of 30 days in which to source a genuine product key at a lower cost than that offered by PCS. For the avoidance of doubt, this is advice on saving money, NOT advocating unauthorised usage.
Fair enough, but none of that invalidates one's explicit acceptance of the EULA at the time of installation, and that's very clear the the software must be properly licensed.

Mugenjin

Fair enough, but none of that invalidates one's explicit acceptance of the EULA at the time of installation, and that's very clear the the software must be properly licensed.
Yes.

Practical considerations notwithstanding (the logistics of purchasing and installation), me communicating information regarding the behaviour of Windows 10 does not invalidate one’s explicit acceptance of its EULA.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
Yes.

Practical considerations notwithstanding (the logistics of purchasing and installation), me communicating information regarding the behaviour of Windows 10 does not invalidate one’s explicit acceptance of its EULA.
Thanks. I'm not trying to be difficult but the forum rules forbid the discussion of anything that is illegal. :)

Rakk

The Awesome
Apparently the Win10 licence cost is actually based on the number of cores your CPU has (I didn't know this before asking some who knows), so I'm guessing you're looking at a configurator with the heftier CPUs with more cores - the configurator I was looking at it was def only £69 as it didn't have the workstation CPUs, so yeah that's why its over 100quid.
PS. Blame Microsoft!

ProEnigma

Bronze Level Poster
I got my retail copy of windows 10 Pro from computer active mag at £39.99, I was worrid it may not be real, but windows is activated, but I would really worry about a licence for £5.

The other way to look at it, is if they buy it from Microsoft or an other reputable and they get the retail version, it can be moved to a new system when the old system needs updating