One-liners

HomerJ

Prolific Poster
Bill Gates should have used Clippy : r/memes

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
🤷‍♀️

I don't think it's unreasonable for most people to not know what IT jargon means. I doubt my wife knows what HTML is.

I had a similar experience when we lived aboard our sailing yacht. On a yacht the lines that control sails are called sheets, the big foresail has two of them. Depending on which tack you're on (on which side of the boat the wind is coming) the one holding the sail against the wind is called the working sheet, the other one (which is doing nothing) is called the lazy sheet. All sailors know this, it's jargon but as common to sailors as HTML is to us.

We had some friends sailing with us. He was a very experienced sailor and his wife thought she was too. We were heading into wind on one day and his wife was sitting on the windward side of the boat (we were heeled about 45 degrees). She was thus sitting right next to the lazy sheet where it was loosely wrapped on the winch. I asked her to "give the lazy sheet a tug" because it was in danger of dangling in the water.

She looked at me and said in a very cross manner "I'm a very experienced sailor, but you need to give me clear instructions!". I looked at her husband who just smiled and I said calmly to her, "I just did". We never heard a peep from her for the rest of the day!!