Octane iv 17" I7-8700k OC software crashing

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
Received my laptop today. I've updated windows and started installing my games. I clicked on the CPU oc software to check the temps, I'm never going to overclock it, but it keeps crashing when I try to start it up. The GPU one works fine, any ideas please ??
I7-8700k
GTX 1080
16 GB ram.

steaky360

What CPU OC Software are you referring to?

Does the laptop give you any error messages when you start it up or does it just hang / not post?

Try getting back into the BIOS (pressing delete/F2 or something like that during start-up) and making sure the OC has not switched on.

Mtgscouser

Bronze Level Poster
Just updated my driver's to 390.65 and now the GPU one has stopped, it starts but it won't display any temperature.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
It really would help if you could be more descriptive about the software you're using to monitor temps, not all PCS laptops are the same. You refer to 'it' not starting or 'it' not showing temps and I for one don't know what 'it' you're referring to. As much detail as you can really helps us figure out what's going on. :)

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
This sounds like Clevo Control Centre misbehaving. I'd suggest uninstalling it and performing a clean install.

There's a topic about similar issues here: http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/clevo-control-center-broken.802577/

Note that they recommend using Revo Uninstaller to remove the program. That's advice you'd need to make your own mind up about, but be sure to back up any important files before you use a program that takes it upon itself to remove things from the registry. Normally it's very much not recommended, but multiple Clevo users in that thread seemed to have found it was the only way...

Clevo Control Centre would be available in your PCS downloads section, or off the Clevo website (your chassis model will be on the underside of the laptop).

Alternatively you could leave that software alone and just use something like MSI Afterburner to monitor CPU and GPU temps, if you're not going to OC anyway.

Last edited:
G

Gimpet

To resolve this issue, uninstall the current CC and download the latest version from the Clevo website as advised above. Once the latest version has been installed, the issue should be resolved. We have seen this before and this has resolved the issue every time in my experience with it.

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
To resolve this issue, uninstall the current CC and download the latest version from the Clevo website as advised above. Once the latest version has been installed, the issue should be resolved. We have seen this before and this has resolved the issue every time in my experience with it.

Which kind of begs the question why PCS don't ship with the latest CC driver already installed??

makmcn

Yeah - i've had same issue, i downloaded the latest one from Clevo website and the GPU OC part just craps out and doesnt show Clock speed or temp

Thinking of just removing it and sticking to HWinfo / GPUz for temps - as i dont plan to OC until i think it needs it

It just reminds me of all the monitoring bloatware you get with other hardware - if im gonna overclock when my warranty runs out i'll probably put Prema Bios on it and do it via the bios but i think that will be a year or 2 yet at least

Oussebon

Multiverse Poster
Note that Clevo Control Centre isn't just for temps monitoring but is actually needed for some of the laptop's features to work afaik. Though if you remove CCC and don't notice the difference I guess you weren't using those features anyway... :)